Author Topic: Richmond interested in young Freo ruckman Warnock  (Read 15360 times)

richmondrules

Re: Richmond interested in young Freo ruckman Warnock
« Reply #135 on: September 19, 2008, 07:19:33 PM »
I think it's pretty common knowledge that plough feels that a good midfield is far more important than a ruckman. Now people may disagree but I think you will find that our priorities may not include a ruckman at all costs. I get the feeling that a serviceable ruckman (i.e. Cartledge) may be acceptable over a champion ruckman simply due to the philosophies of the RFC brains trust. I am sure we would love a champion ruck but I get the feeling we will not pay over the odds, and I think we would be willing to pay more for a Kerr or Judd than a Cox. Certainly a skinny kid with 21 games and potential only at this stage would/should not attract overly enthusiastic interest from us. At the right price, by all means, but not at what is being asked.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #136 on: September 19, 2008, 07:50:54 PM »
I think it's pretty common knowledge that plough feels that a good midfield is far more important than a ruckman. Now people may disagree but I think you will find that our priorities may not include a ruckman at all costs. I get the feeling that a serviceable ruckman (i.e. Cartledge) may be acceptable over a champion ruckman simply due to the philosophies of the RFC brains trust. I am sure we would love a champion ruck but I get the feeling we will not pay over the odds, and I think we would be willing to pay more for a Kerr or Judd than a Cox. Certainly a skinny kid with 21 games and potential only at this stage would/should not attract overly enthusiastic interest from us. At the right price, by all means, but not at what is being asked.
That may be true RROFO and the last part is a fair point to argue but we're last in the comp for hitouts again and I thought the list management side of things had been taken away from Plough and into the hands of Craig Cameron. I could understand us saying no to Warnock if the asking price was our first pick or Warnock wanted $400k-500k a year but knocking Warnock back simply over the 4 year term asked appears to me to be a RFC board decision to sign no deal over 3 years now Miller has got the flick. Miller would've gone overboard the other way and given Warnock 5 years like he did with Simmo.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Jackstar

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #137 on: September 19, 2008, 09:14:54 PM »

Miller would've gone overboard the other way and given Warnock 5 years like he did with Simmo.

Consider the figures that Miller signed Simmo with, and think again.

1.5M for 5 years =  300K per year.

Pretty cheap salary today me thinks.

It was a great decision and paid off well.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #138 on: September 19, 2008, 09:27:24 PM »
We are now paying Jordie 350k per year for 3 years and he's just a dime a dozen flanker.
I know people like exagerating a little to make it suit their argument better, but Jordy's contract was 300k per year, pretty much the average AFL salary.

It was 1.2mil over 5 or 1.2mil over 4 years, same money for the extra year so we took it. Very very cheap in hindsight.
Shame you're back though, I kinda hope someone else signed up using the username

« Reply #139 on: September 19, 2008, 09:30:13 PM »

Miller would've gone overboard the other way and given Warnock 5 years like he did with Simmo.

Jack

Welcome back you old bastard.

:bow

:cheers

:outtahere

:cuddles

Ramps

« Reply #140 on: September 19, 2008, 10:21:15 PM »

Is this really Jack. Jack supporting a Miller decision. The identity of the new Jackstar is in question  ;D

Moi

« Reply #141 on: September 20, 2008, 12:08:06 AM »

::)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #142 on: September 20, 2008, 09:49:24 AM »
Are we now going to promote Cartledge to fill the gap on our list  :-\.
It would not surprise me if we don't pick up a ruckman during Trade Week.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #143 on: September 20, 2008, 09:56:50 AM »

It was 1.2mil over 5 or 1.2mil over 4 years, same money for the extra year so we took it. Very very cheap in hindsight.

I agree with you both (regardless of who's figures are correct).  Point is, contracts longer than 3 years are always going to be very much a lottery.  You will win some, you will lose some, but to close your mind as a manager/administrator and totally rule out the potential or possibility is not the smartest way to go IMHO.

Offline Hes My Hero

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #144 on: September 20, 2008, 10:04:31 AM »
Are we now going to promote Cartledge to fill the gap on our list  :-\.
It would not surprise me if we don't pick up a ruckman during Trade Week.

;) :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #145 on: September 20, 2008, 12:18:30 PM »

I agree Jack we got Simmo cheap both in terms of salary and for what we paid for him (Fiora). Okay overboard was the wrong word but what I meant by that is the club seems to now be against long-term contracts whereas if Miller was still around I have no doubt he would have done what needed to be done to get Warnock. If he knew other clubs like Carlton were offering 4 year deals he would've offered 5 to put Richmond in the front running.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #146 on: September 20, 2008, 12:26:22 PM »
We are now paying Jordie 350k per year for 3 years and he's just a dime a dozen flanker.
I know people like exagerating a little to make it suit their argument better, but Jordy's contract was 300k per year, pretty much the average AFL salary.

Shame you're back though, I kinda hope someone else signed up using the username
$1m over 3 years was reported. Okay $333k per year instead of $350k. All I was saying is what Carlton is offering warnock isn't a huge amount dollar wise and not too far different from what we are paying Jordie. Adding one more year to deal for a type of player we need doesn't sound too extravagant to me.

Offline 2JD

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #147 on: September 20, 2008, 01:03:18 PM »
[quote author=MCMLXV link=topic=7018.msg115456#msg115456 date=1221823813

Jack

Welcome back you old bastard.

:bow

:cheers

:outtahere

:cuddles
[/quote]

OH FFS!  ::) :chuck

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #148 on: September 24, 2008, 03:03:13 AM »
Greg Denham in the Australian still has us interested in Warnock although he wants to go to Carlton and doesn't want to end up at the Dees. Warnock is even willing to put himself in the National draft to avoid Melbourne in the PSD and leave Freo with nothing.

--------------------------------------
Blues stand their ground over deal for Dockers ruckman
Greg Denham | September 24, 2008

OUT of contract Fremantle ruckman Robbie Warnock yesterday met with Carlton where he reiterated to the Blues they are the club he wants to play with next season.

After two senior seasons with the Dockers, the giant ruckman informed Fremantle that he wanted to return home to Melbourne and nominated Carlton as his club of choice.

The Blues are understood to have offered him a four-year deal worth about $1.4 million.

Melbourne and Richmond are also keen to secure the 206cm 21-year-old. However, Carlton's insistence that it will not offer anything better than its second-round choice, overall selection No 24, has led to a stalemate, which may not be resolved to the Dockers' satisfaction.

Fremantle is demanding a first-round pick as a suitable exchange for losing Warnock, but yesterday the Blues maintained the stance that their first selection (No 6) would not be traded.

It is understood Warnock has threatened to nominate for the national draft, which would leave the Dockers out in the cold without any compensation.

Warnock's preference is not to join Melbourne, where a deal could have been clinched more easily as the Demons enter trade week next month with selections one and 17.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24392758-5012432,00.html

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #149 on: September 24, 2008, 09:06:36 AM »
Go into the National draft and risk ending up at Port Adelaide or West Coast?
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do