Author Topic: AFL clubs tell players not to read football internet forums - LOL  (Read 3432 times)

Moi

Re: AFL clubs tell players not to read football internet forums - LOL
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2008, 05:27:27 PM »
LOL  :rollin

Reminds me of a few around here these days

Can't be me 'cos I don't smoke any more
 :thumbsup

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2008, 05:51:36 PM »
What has Trevor Marmalade got to do with it?  :)
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline 2JD

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2008, 06:11:10 PM »
What has Trevor Marmalade got to do with it?  :)
:rollin :thatsgold

Tigermonk

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2008, 06:53:30 PM »
too much stuffin politics in this world, aint these papers got better things to write about, like how the goverment is rooting all our bums with everything going up in price & bank managers retiring on 50 million dollars while the real hard worker who works 50 years retires with under 1 million haha this world is so stuffed up its not funny anymore
Petrol over $1.62 today what robbery stuffin thieves this goverment
food prices continue to go up & rates, power, gas, everything & the gutless Australians doing nothing but bending over & taking it
bout time we all gut a bit tuffer & all done something serious otherwise they keep taking

& clubs want players now to not read forums  :lol well if we stopped paying for memberships & going to the footy cause people wont be able to afford it in a few years time,  that would give the idiots something to whinge & write about

we fork out for the club to survive then we got a right to be critics when thier not going well

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2008, 04:17:21 AM »
its the same as players reading some trashy articles in the herald sun.

Exactly Daniel.  I posted this reply on another forum:

And what about banning them from reading the tripe that the media
dishes out? This whole article smacked of an exercise in trying to
raise awareness of depression by picking on a popular target without
one shred of evidence to support it. Sure, depression is real, its
terrible, and it cuts across all demographic boundaries but if you are
going to write an article on it then don't clutch at unsubstantiated
straws to support your point. Then again, we all know how much I love
the media!  >:(

And the author (and quoted sage) would do very well to actually
research the fan sites they disparaged before lambasting them with
sweeping generalisations. The members here are of the highest moral
order and maturity.   ::)  ;D
:clapping

Hmmm I wonder why Blingers last year came out publicly and said the constant comparisons with Buddy had got into his head in his first couple of years. I wonder which paper kept harping on about how we missed out on Buddy and screwed up by drafting Tambling  ::)

Sure some of things said on the net are extreme but it is no different to players copping similar vitriol left, right and centre from members and supporters while walking up the wire race when our changerooms were in the old Northern stand if we were trailing at half-time or after a (bad) loss. It was also something that players couldn't avoid unlike footy forums which can be ignored by not visiting and reading them.

I'm not sure why any player would take on board anything that came from a stranger who tells you you're useless, unfit and lazy when they spend their gametime sitting on the backside for 3 hours either in the grandstand or behind the computer slurping down their fifth beer while gulping down another meat pie. 
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Players, families caught in vicious web (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2008, 04:54:49 AM »
Players, families caught in vicious web
Mark Robinson | May 22, 2008

THE mother of an AFL player with depression last night lashed out at the viciousness of internet fan forums.

"Donna", the mum of a player at a Melbourne-based club, believes the forums contribute to her son's depression.

The effect on the player was extreme, she said, and the effect on the parents "cuts straight to the core".

"There's nothing you can do about it," Donna said.

"It's painful for everyone.

"He goes through periods where he has highs and lows and when he gets slandered on this website, they use his full name and it's obviously brutal.

"It certainly contributes to him having a real low that week.

"Then he starts to feel: 'Am I good enough to be here, what do I have to do, I'm trying my guts out, everyone thinks I'm hopeless, I won't be selected'.

"As a parent your heart goes out to your own child, as it does to the other players slandered, and you just feel so futile. You can't do anything.

"It doesn't matter how much you say and try to support them and encourage them, and say: 'Don't read them', there's just nothing you can do."

The AFL Players' Association yesterday in the Herald Sun said blogging by supporters was "cyber bullying".

Clubs also feared the vicious appraisals of their players could lead to forms of depression.

Several clubs revealed they had warned some of their players to boycott the websites.

Player managers also confirmed yesterday their players had struggled to deal with the attacks.

Donna said last night her son's club and coach were aware of her son's depression and that he was the subject of vitriol on websites.

"It's fine for people to say 'harden up', or 'toughen up', but at the end of the day they are still very vulnerable kids trying to learn how to play footy at an elite level," she said.

"They are going to make mistakes and they don't need misinformed, anonymous 'supporters' (to) slander them when half the time the supporters that write about them haven't been to the game, and they don't know the instructions that have been given to these players.

"Yet, they (hide) behind their anonymity and make out they are bigger than Ben Hur, and think they can say whatever they like.

"That's the frustrating and hurtful part of it.

"And these kids, be they 18, 19, 21 or 22, don't have a leg to stand on.

"Some players can do no wrong and escape everything, which is fantastic for them and that's the way it should be, but for others, they just hone in on them.

"Then it just seems to be a never-ending bandwagon."

Donna said she knew of parents who joined blogs to dispute and object to comments made about their sons.

She said she had, as recently as the weekend, spoken to parents of other players about the websites.

Most disturbing, according to the AFLPA's Pippa Grange, was that player identities were being taken and comments being posted under that player's name.

"They get obviously quite upset about that," Grange said.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,23738794-19742,00.html

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2008, 07:56:39 AM »
Please, stop this insanity!!!!

Precious little pampered pets.  How does said 'Little Johnny' cope with the screaming abuse hurled over the fence each game?  Are we to ban supporters from talking at games too?  When your 'cotton wool' child puts out his hand for his pay cheque each week then he accepts all that comes with being a professional sportsman - the good, the bad and the ugly.  Remember - HE chose to pursue AFL as a sport after being a supporter himself, with his own opinions, prejudices and no doubt at times, loud mouth.

It's part of what is going seriously wrong with our community as a whole - we don't make our children responsible for their actions and thus don't prepare them for any of the 'normal' pressures and pitfalls of life as an adult.  We excuse them for things at home, at school, even in the media and end up with social misfits like Corey who will now have a small army of followers and mimics waiting in the wings.  Then when they reach the 'big time' or even 'bigger time' in the case of a professional sportsman they have absolutely no coping mechanisms for dealing with reality.

It's like people who buy a house near an airport and then complain about the noise - who/what was there first?  Don't like it?  Don't take it up.  Still don't like it? Leave it.  We all have choices.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2008, 08:28:54 AM »
how rediculous does this all sound.
you have some players earning 500k plus and according to this article they cant handle being told they cant kick, etc etc etc

give me a break. if u cant handle the heat get out of the kitchen or get a new job...

we pay our dues every week to give an opinion just like mike sheehan, obviously idiots like the manure dumping fella or the one that spat at spud took it too far...

seriously what a joke..
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Ramps

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2008, 09:32:52 AM »
I have to say that taking a players name and using it as your own on a website making comments is deadset wrong. I think players performances are fair game, but when you go on a website and say your a player when your not and you start talking crap, thats out of line and the players in that instance I reckon have a right to defend themselves.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2008, 12:03:17 PM »
I have to say that taking a players name and using it as your own on a website making comments is deadset wrong. I think players performances are fair game, but when you go on a website and say your a player when your not and you start talking crap, thats out of line and the players in that instance I reckon have a right to defend themselves.
Exactly right but they are 2 separate issues.  One is a by-product by choice of being a professional sports person in a team sport, the other is an offence against common law and should be dealt with appropriately (slander/misrepresentation lawsuit).  If the slander causes the depression - increase the amount of damages, if the supporter opinions cause the depression - get out of professional sport.

Offline Bene Boy

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • I'm a 2014 member - Are you ?
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2008, 02:18:40 PM »
going by the style and efforts of the past 4 rounds i reckon not only the players but also the coaching staff and decision makers  at RFC have been regulars at OER well done everyone
The question we all want an answer too
Are These The Real Richmond Tigers ?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2008, 02:19:10 PM »
Agree Ramps.

There are nutters and bullies on the net who for years cowardly and vindictively attack and make up lies about others who are helpless to defend themselves. That is gutless and sick!  >:(

However saying player Y can't kick or you don't think he'll make it shoudn't be classed in the same bracket.    
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2008, 04:29:43 PM »

Oh please.

You cannot work out that it's not really the player who is posting?

Ramps

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2008, 05:25:33 PM »

Oh please.

You cannot work out that it's not really the player who is posting?

Thats Not the point Bentleigh. If someone went on the net and used your real name in forums for your industry, I doubt youd be accepting of it.