Author Topic: So what did we make of the win?  (Read 988 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
So what did we make of the win?
« on: May 24, 2008, 10:47:44 PM »

Probably would've have taken 38 points at the start of the game but would've expected more 50 points up at half-time. Thoughts?

richmondrules

Re: So what did we make of the win?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 11:21:45 PM »

Probably would've have taken 38 points at the start of the game but would've expected more 50 points up at half-time. Thoughts?

I think it would be unreasonable to expect the bummers to play as badly as they did in the first half for the whole game. They were absolutely shocking.

Disappointing that they managed to get so far back into the game in the 3rd quarter.

Encouraging that the guys managed to regroup in the 4th to win it and the game comfortably.

This game shows that we still have a fair bit to learn before we can claim to be a strong side. Competitive is as good as it gets for us ATM.

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 11:27:34 PM »
To lead by fifty at half time is a great effort! We won and although we all thought we may win by a massive margin, we still won and Shane Edwards shone. Like the look of Cotchin he has maturity beyond his years. Petts looked like he may have learnt his lesson and thirsty looks weird with a crew cut! Foley, to state the obvious, has "can play" written on his birth certificate.

Offline TFL

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 11:55:38 PM »
Well we got the 4 points, that was about it.

Too much stuffing around by some of our players. Nathan Brown being the main culprit.

Was very annoyed with some of the things he did tonight.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 12:16:57 AM »
Simply 4 points and that will do after so many near misses the last month

Tried to be too "cute' in the 3rd rather than sticking to what got us to a 50 point lead.

Having said a bit of credit should go to the bumblings - their 3rd qtr was good their first half was pathetic
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 09:09:52 AM »
Simply 4 points and that will do after so many near misses the last month

Tried to be too "cute' in the 3rd rather than sticking to what got us to a 50 point lead.

Having said a bit of credit should go to the bumblings - their 3rd qtr was good their first half was pathetic

Reminded me of us playing MAgpies earlier this year - only we were MAgpies and Bombers were you know who.
Tackling pressure very good, found space too easily - particularly in the 1st half to open up a big break.

Took foot off the pedal in the 3rd and Bombers lifted intensity from a base of 0.

We have not playing 4 qtrs this year - with the exception of Freo game - it is the difference between being 3 and a half wins and 5 and a half or even 6.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Tigermonk

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 09:25:38 AM »
Winners are grinners    :gotigers

now seriously what l think
my concern with the playing group going off the ground at halftime & coming out falling away in 3rd quarters
problem has been at the club for years & needs to be seriously looked at
if they can correct this problem we will be a better side  :thumbsup

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 11:08:47 AM »
it was important that as a group we won after the last four weeks, especially the young guys who's confidence could have been shattered so that has to be a positive.
personally i think they took their foot of the pedal when we should have buried them, is this something that the senior blokes in the team should be or are unable to in doctrinate in to the younger players..i think so.

things will change when the next gen take control of their own destiny.

overall it was a game we had to win and should have won which we have so lets take the 4 points and give those swannies a touch up next week...that will be the test...

richmondrules

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 11:19:29 AM »
personally i think they took their foot of the pedal when we should have buried them, is this something that the senior blokes in the team should be or are unable to in doctrinate in to the younger players..i think so.

Richmond teams have done this for as so long I can't remember the last time we actually buried a team. Senior blokes don't know how to stomp on another team. If we are looking for the senior players to show this sort of arrogance we are going to be disappointed. This sort of attitude needs to come from the kids. Couple of years to go I think.

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2008, 01:10:07 PM »
look how geelong played after a game in the wet v us

heavy legs slow just not focussed

we played that way just in the 3rd quarter, but for 3 quarters we dominated

no such thing as soft victories, we won based on on 3 quarters of player tough hard footy and winning the contested ball

the bombers were always gonna have a good 3rd quarter, and i thought it was a good win bec in the past we would have folded, but we held our nerve thanks to jordy, foley, lids, jay, newman and moore.

what it also showed that riewoldt edwards cotchin deledio foley tambling are all going to be freaks

and moore thursty jay jordy are gonna be a solid defence

we have lots of room 4 improvement but the signs are fantastic