Author Topic: Tigers are on the rise, says Riewoldt (The Examiner)  (Read 455 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers are on the rise, says Riewoldt (The Examiner)
« on: June 14, 2008, 02:23:27 AM »
Tigers are on the rise, says Riewoldt
The Examiner
By Rob Shaw
14 June 2008

RICHMOND youngblood Jack Riewoldt believes that the club's future is safe in the hands of a blossoming crop of emerging talent.

The talented Tasmanian prepared for tomorrow's showdown with Melbourne by tackling some of his home State's demon defenders in Launceston yesterday, and appeared comfortable with the responsibility of representing the Tigers' future.

"We've got a fair few players there that are the future of the club and I'm just happy to be a part of it," said the former Clarence, Mariners and Devils player.

"I think we've got the most amount of players aged under-23 in the AFL, something like three- quarters of our list, and we've only got about half-a-dozen players aged over 26.

"The Richmond faithful are seeing that we are going to be an exciting side and it's great to be a part of that."

The 17-year-old named teammates Trent Cotchin, Brett Deledio, Daniel Connors and Shane Edwards as sharing the burden of the club's future but said the team's Tasmanian contingent was also vital to its structure.

He said King Island tall Angus Graham was close to a first team return, Devonport stalwart Matthew Richardson was a valuable mentor while Jade Rawlings was steering the VFL-aligned Coburg Tigers towards their finals.

Coburg will play the Devils at West Park today.

"Richo looks after me big time as a Tasmanian. We play fairly close together on the ground and any input from him is good and will hopefully make me a better player."

Hobart-born Riewoldt scored four goals in Coburg's defeat of Werribee last weekend before last night being selected for tomorrow's AFL derby at Telstra Dome.

"Both sides will really need a win in that one and with Jim Stynes taking over (as Melbourne chairman) it will be a big challenge," said the former St Virgil's and Rosny College student.

"He will probably go down into the rooms and talk to the players and try and inspire them but we are in the same boat as them really."

Riewoldt was conducting a footy clinic at Prospect yesterday and said that he had fond memories of attending them as a starry-eyed child himself.

"I can remember how exciting it was to meet some big names," he said. "I have still got my football cards signed by Shaun McManus, Kevin Sheedy and Tom Hafey."

http://northerntasmania.yourguide.com.au/news/sport/sports/tigers-are-on-the-rise-says-riewoldt/1247613.html