Author Topic: Season's over - Bowden & Hyde need to go!  (Read 7541 times)

Offline Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
Re: Season's over - Bowden & Hyde need to go!
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2008, 10:37:52 AM »
I just dont get you guys. Bowden was clearly one of the better players on the day and showed his class many times. You go nuts over the class the new kids show but hate Joel, its just crazy. He plays the role he is told to play, thats it. If you dont like that role then blame the coach not Joel. He is not the reason we lost and there were so many worse then him. He is a class player, end of story.

In so many threads some of you say some of our players are gutless, dont have a go or anything like that, well you are mad. Skills we may lack, coaching might be off at times, game plan is all over the place but having a go is not where get beaten. I dont like lossing anymore that the rest of you but cant come at people saying they are not trying. We were beaten by better team on the day (much as I hate to say that). We just have to get better, stronger, more experinced and play together. Can we do that with the current coaching I dont know, but thats a differnt question. Have a go at skill errors or poor decisions or coaching errors, even have an opinion on selection but please be a supporter.

Supporters do exactly that, support.
Knockers, well look at my avi and you will see the only sort of knockers I like.
Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2008, 10:47:18 AM »
I just dont get you guys. Bowden was clearly one of the better players on the day and showed his class many times. You go nuts over the class the new kids show but hate Joel, its just crazy. He plays the role he is told to play, thats it. If you dont like that role then blame the coach not Joel. He is not the reason we lost and there were so many worse then him. He is a class player, end of story.
The problem with this is that Wallace wanted to change his role because he was not attacking enough out of defence and he was absolute rubbish anywhere else on the field. He's had to move back as a defender because that's the only way he can play. If he's on the list next year I will be bloody fuming.

Offline Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2008, 10:55:49 AM »
If he's on the list next year I will be bloody fuming.

IMHO I hope you are bloody fuming as I still rate him a class above many others in the team.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2008, 11:15:41 AM »

IMHO I hope you are bloody fuming as I still rate him a class above many others in the team.
Clearly you are happy to accept mediocrity then, we will go nowhere as a team with Bowden still in the side.

Offline Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2008, 11:41:18 AM »

Clearly you are happy to accept mediocrity then, we will go nowhere as a team with Bowden still in the side.

I rate him a class player, you do not.
I want him to stay, you do not.

Please accept these as differences of opinions without questioning what I will and will not accept. We all want the Tigers to succed, I just think he is better player than you do and he still has a role to play. We all know there will be some that will go at end of year, I just dont think we will cut as deep as a 200+ game, two time best and farest winner.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2008, 11:43:23 AM »
The problem with this is that Wallace wanted to change his role because he was not attacking enough out of defence and he was absolute rubbish anywhere else on the field. He's had to move back as a defender because that's the only way he can play. If he's on the list next year I will be bloody fuming.

you raise a good point!!
I find it very difficult to understand TW and some of the moves he makes.
weeks ago he comes out and says "we have a new role for Joel" and now he is back to where it all started.

Very strange..can anyone explain this logic to me or have i missed something along the way.

IMO he was not our worst, lets not forget he won the game last week for us.
Im more worried about the other senior players like sugar, browny, polak etc etc
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Tigermonk

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2008, 12:09:05 PM »

goes back to Carlton's preparation and our lack of it where another tall was not brought in for Thursty.

my question exactly is why was Thursfield replaced with the smallest emergency in King
this is just a plain stupidy change by Wallace
Another tall could have helped Moore who done well on Fev early but was exposed late because of several others who failed to man up, something the coach should instruct on his playing group, Bowden is instructed by the coach to run free so why bother blaming him for something his told to do.
l'm dumbfounded by some decisions Wallace makes, there is no worse feeling than going down to Carlscum  :banghead
Nathan Brown had a ugly day, those kicks on goal he missed were very costly but there was still 20 fit men out of 22 to hold accountable for that lose & some stupid coaching decisions

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2008, 12:45:58 PM »
I agree with what you say Infamy we have been stooged by Terry claiming Joel was going into a fwd role when we have seen him in defence again and being an engineer of that rack em up tempo footy. I too will be very filthy if he is retained or Hyde for that mate and I accept others opinions on Joel b/c that is what they are and we are all supporters of the footy club. I don't think Fluffy though it is totally the coaches fault for some things that happen out there  as unaccountability by Joel yesterday especially when easy stats are hard to get that can be attributed to the player on game day . It is the coaches responsibility knowing the characteristics of this player and what he has said by selecting him in this position on Thursday  night and then with Thursty withdrawing late coming in with a small when a Schulz or Rance would have been more beneficial. 

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2008, 01:33:25 PM »
I don't think we've been stooged by Wallace, if anything it's just Wallace resigning to the fact that Bowden is a one trick pony who can't play any other way. He tried to change the way Bowden plays, but the experiment didn't work. He certainly isn't the first coach to try and do the same thing with Joel.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2008, 09:34:47 PM »
I think it is more of a necessity thing rather than a change of plan by TW. When Thursfield, King and then Maguine went down we needed defenders to replace them and Bowden was the replacement. Last week the move was successful because it was unexpected but this week Rattan planned and exploited the positioning as most coaches did at the start of the year.

For that reason TW moved him back to Coburg because he was become a detriment to the team rather than an asset.

His lack of pace was obvious on the weekend. When Wiggins took off to receive 'that' kick on the wing Bowden was standing right next to him but rather than run with him or even behind him to attempt to spoil or even hold him up, Joel stopped dead. Conceding the contest he then decided to move back to 'fill the hole' hoping someone would run and stop Wiggins run. Unfortunately, as we all know now, Wiggins continued to run forward while Joel ran back then forward and by taking the easy option rather than being accountable, Wiggins was able to kick from the 50 straight to Fev.

The mistake highlights why Bowden no longer fits into our team. He can not play any other role other than the floating backman where he collects the countless and meaningless multitude of unconstested possessions because he hasn't the pace any more. Watching him over the past few weeks Joel can't be accountable, tackle or provide defensive pressure because he isn't fast enough to keep up with any direct opponent.

Bowden can not be responsible for a foward because they expose him. He is two small to play direct on a player and now he is two slow to stop them on the lead or around the ground.

In attack he is equally slow. He looks to slow down the play, wait for the opposition to move forward and zone up allowing him to kick to an unmanned player. He actual leads/demands that his fellow defenders slow down and kick it around the back half before they attempt to move it forward. This is completely the opposite way in which TW wants us to play. TW wants us to run it out of the defensive 50, take on the opposition and break the lines so we can catch the opposition defenders off guard and give our forwards the best chance of being one out.

For all these reason I don't think Joel will be with us next year or at the very least playing much of the season for Coburg. The possessions he gets are meaningless and opposition coaches are happy for him to get them because they know they can exploit his accountability and lack of defensive pressure/pace.

He has been a great servant of the club but for our future and to regain the pace we had - he needs to go.

Stripes

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2008, 08:07:52 AM »
Why is it that people say our finals chances are over but the Bombers still have a chance?

Tigermonk

« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2008, 08:35:18 AM »
Why is it that people say our finals chances are over but the Bombers still have a chance?

maybe cause we are poo & predictable on big games

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2008, 09:00:04 AM »

We're just not good enough.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Tigermonk

« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2008, 10:35:27 AM »
Watching the replay Joel Bowden played a good game against Carlton
His kicking was direct & setup goals to players instead of going to Richo who drops his head if he dont have his leads honored.
his passing be is short or long all hit the target, His marking the ball well & making space to gather possession so its got me stuffed why people say his days are numbered when any other club would take him

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2008, 11:51:26 AM »
because they would rather keep players like sugar and patto in the team.

Bowden has been more than serviceable imo.

he has done what he has been asked on every occasion..
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.