Author Topic: Polak thread [merged]  (Read 39073 times)

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
Re: Polak thread [merged]
« Reply #285 on: September 11, 2009, 04:44:36 PM »
I absolutly agree with the people regarding not having another Coghlan situation but Polak showed he's capable of improvement From mid year to Round 22 he's moved mountains.

Brown and Coughlan during 3 years of coming back from injuries showed only slight glimpses at best. Polak has showed signed in 6 months that he can continue to improve.

It can't hurt giving him a 1 year extension and at worse have him playing in the 2's. We've already got 8 spots on the list free including the Raines trade (With Schultz, McMahon trade rumoured) I think to delist him would be a loss for the list. For both long term and short term.

Also have to take into consideration the groups mentality. I don't think 12 months is enough to turn around his condition 100% and shouldn't be judged that way. I think 12 months is more than fine.

Nahas/Brown elevated to Senior list and 6 draft selections.

This is not including a Schultz, McMahon or Tuck trade. That is plenty of teenagers in one year. Save him delist till net year and see what he's made of.
Go Tigers!

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #286 on: September 11, 2009, 04:56:46 PM »
Can we afford a development player in their mid 20's? Sounds like a Cogs scenario to me. Players like Polak would be a huge gamble to retain and given our track record of 'fairy tale' improvements from players in similar situations I believe it is best to move Polak on so he can focus on the rest of his life.

We need a healthy list with no passengers and everyone competing for spots in the side and list.

Sorry Graham  :'(

Stripes
We're not talking about keeping him for another 3 years, just 12 months
At the same time we are cutting 10 other players
I'd even rather keep him as a ruck option instead of Simmonds

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #287 on: September 11, 2009, 05:07:09 PM »
Just wondering where you guys thought Polly was at before his horrible accident.

I thought he was still struggling to hold down CHB or CHF

Unleash the tornado

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #288 on: September 11, 2009, 05:36:05 PM »
Just wondering where you guys thought Polly was at before his horrible accident.

Polak, pre-tram, was rubbish as forwards.

He was not much chop as a key back.

Lose in the backline he was decent, but only cause he is tall and a good mark.

Patty Bowden was good in this role ...

Hope Polak gets delisted (if he is not already?). Would of rather given Coughlan a pre-season.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #289 on: September 11, 2009, 05:45:51 PM »

Exactly and I certainly don't expect any miracle improvements.

I would have thought this was an easy decision but indicates how poor our list is that the thought of retention is even suggested.

Jackstar is back

« Reply #290 on: September 11, 2009, 08:24:51 PM »

He was really struggling

Gigantor

« Reply #291 on: September 11, 2009, 09:17:12 PM »
was never a  fan of polly,just thought he had poor kicking skills,and would pick wrong options.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #292 on: September 12, 2009, 11:06:54 AM »

I wnated to know why he wasn't being playedin one position and left there

One minute he was forward next he was back. I would have liked to have seen him play as a CFH for 5-7 weeks

His form at the time of the accident I thought was OK but not great, but as is the norm at the RFC he wasn't alone  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #293 on: September 12, 2009, 11:37:21 AM »

I wnated to know why he wasn't being playedin one position and left there

One minute he was forward next he was back. I would have liked to have seen him play as a CFH for 5-7 weeks

His form at the time of the accident I thought was OK but not great, but as is the norm at the RFC he wasn't alone  ;D
WP, echoes my thoughts, hang on, i echo wp's thoughts! Keep Polly as he was thrown around everywhere without a chance to settle! He frustrated me as he was a terrible shot on goal but he never got a chance to stay forward and improve  on his goal kicking! Polly has heaps of under achieving friends that desserve the chop before he gets it.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #294 on: September 12, 2009, 07:21:25 PM »

Polly wasn't really playing CHB when he played in the backline. He was recruited to play KP but he played more as a loose man/sweeper in defence. Up forward he played a more tradition KP role but his kicking for goal wasn't crash hot. He had good hands though.

I think sentiment aside he is gone. I just don't see us in our current predicament holding onto uncontracted guys in their mid-20s who are maybes (will he or won't he play).
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Polak's future uncertain despite brave comeback (RFC)
« Reply #295 on: September 22, 2009, 03:33:03 PM »
Polak's future uncertain despite brave comeback
richmondfc.com.au
By Matt Burgan | Tue 22 September, 2009

THE FUTURE of Richmond defender Graham Polak remains unclear, despite making a remarkable comeback from a life-threatening injury to play the final two games of the home-and-away season.

Polak, speaking at Federation Square as part of the grand final festivities in Melbourne on Tuesday, said he is hopeful of gaining another contract with Richmond, after working his way back with Coburg Tigers reserves and then seniors.

Polak is currently out of contract and said he was determined to earn another contract and improve on what he was able to achieve this year.

"I felt like I exceeded what I was expected to do and I can only build on that from now," Polak said.

"If I get the chance to stay, I'll be taking that with both hands and look forward to playing more good footy."

Polak said he had already had met with new Richmond coach Damien Hardwick a couple of times.

The Western Australian said Hardwick has already made his intentions clear at Tigerland.

"He seems very focused and he wants to get across that there are no passengers in this team anymore," Polak said.

Despite his courageous achievement to play again at the highest level, Polak singled out the efforts of midfielder Mark Coughlan, who fought back this year from debilitating knee/hamstring injuries.

"Mark Coughlan coming back was a great buzz," he said. "He's a great player around the club and a great guy, which everyone loves.

"To see him come back was good and hopefully he goes on to bigger and better years now."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/85156/default.aspx

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #296 on: September 22, 2009, 08:16:09 PM »
There's really no room for sentiment in the position we are in but if we haven't decided on Polly's future yet then that says to me we are waiting to see what happens during trade week and who else goes first.

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #297 on: September 22, 2009, 11:52:59 PM »
sorry Polak! you must move on!

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #298 on: September 22, 2009, 11:57:34 PM »
Still think he could get up again with a pre-season behind him, maybe we should carry an extra rookie and if he doesn't get up then we can elevate the next promising thing before the season proper??
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #299 on: September 23, 2009, 02:32:27 AM »
Still think he could get up again with a pre-season behind him, maybe we should carry an extra rookie and if he doesn't get up then we can elevate the next promising thing before the season proper??
It's a shame Polly wasn't allowed to be a rookie himself while he recovered thanks to Eddie and certain other clubs sooking  ::).