Author Topic: Polak thread [merged]  (Read 39051 times)

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
Re: Polak thread [merged]
« Reply #345 on: February 14, 2010, 11:46:06 PM »
the football did not get down there often.

he had 2-3 players around him in the first half when we went forward.

Hawthorn predicted our forward movement.

but ...

if he wants to play in the forward line he needs to take the mark and kick the goal!

not pass it off like he did in the final quarter which was a turnover!

Tom Hislop - is gone! can't kick, Hardwick will delist him! he better get his kicking right!

:)

the claw

« Reply #346 on: February 14, 2010, 11:59:19 PM »
He might have been in the system for 9 years claw but ffs mate he was nearly killed by a tram and it was his first real hit out since then, give him a break.

Like al said he was tripple teamed for most of the night, that wasn't his fault, we should have got someone back there to help him out.

Lets put him up against a wall and shoot him...... ::)
good idea i will supply the bullet and the rifle  if need be.

his accident has nothing to do with it.  he was poo before the accident and hes poo after it.  and people everywhere had the temerity to bag me because i wanted someone like bradshaw who can actually play and may have something to teach the kids.
nothings changed with this bloke and after 9 yrs it wont. he has zero presence on a footy field  falling over  pushed out of contests  reactive  bloody hell you could knock him over with a feather.

no more  polak polo white  graham  and i could go on. no more, weather we have the players who can play the positions or not no more  no hopers just throw the kids in or change it around so these blokes are never seen again.if the senior players cant get a kick in a poxy nab cup game  they wont be requited in the real thing.
we didnt cop a shellacking because of our kids in fact it would have been worse without them we copped it where the sun dont shine because the seniors are total crap. play the kids.

atm i can count 12 minimum who have to go  and theres others you would not hesitate to trade. play the kids at all costs.no more chances for the long term underachievers skill less  mindless duds.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #347 on: February 15, 2010, 12:01:07 AM »
There is an arc in the forward line that when a forward has the ball they just do not pass off. Normally when you see someone do such it is because they are lacking confidence in their goal kicking. If he cant get that right he will be the source of a lot of frustration.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #348 on: February 15, 2010, 06:16:30 AM »
I agree with claw on this.

Good effort to get back playing but Polly is clearly not up to it as a key forward and never has been.

jackstar is back again

« Reply #349 on: February 15, 2010, 06:38:09 AM »
I agree with claw on this.

Good effort to get back playing but Polly is clearly not up to it as a key forward and never has been.

Correct

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
I was an idiot: Polak tells of near-fatal tram dash (Age)
« Reply #350 on: September 22, 2010, 05:25:04 PM »
I was an idiot: Polak tells of near-fatal tram dash
Adam Carey
September 22, 2010 - 2:52PM

Retired AFL star Graham Polak had only a few drinks before he tried to outrun a tram as he crossed Dandenong Road towards a waiting taxi.

Famously, it was a decision that almost killed him.

"I had alcohol in me but I put it more down to a misjudgment," Polak said today at the launch of Grogger, a downloadable game modelled on '80s pinball parlour classic Frogger.

To this day, the former Richmond tall remembers almost nothing about being hit — and he says he's happy to keep it that way — but understands that there were two trams running in opposite directions along the middle of the road, and that he only saw one of them.

"We were on the way out, it was night time, and I was standing with one of my teammates, Cleve Hughes, and we were about to walk across the road," Polak says.

"And instead of doing the appropriate thing and going where you're supposed to go at the pedestrian crossing, I thought I'd try and just run across the street and across the tram tracks.

"And looking at it now, I think I'm an idiot for doing it, I should've just followed the rules. From then I can't remember much, but obviously the tram came along too quick for me and got me."

Statistically, Melbourne's inner city is the most dangerous place in the state to walk, with the highest recorded number of collisions between pedestrians and vehicles.

Last year 243 people were hit, and of those 75 were seriously injured and two died. Young people and people who have been drinking are the most represented among those figures.

Among those seriously injured, 42 per cent were in their 20s, while more than 30 per cent of pedestrians killed in the past five years had a blood-alcohol reading higher than .05.

In an attempt to reduce the rate of injuries and death, the City of Melbourne today launched Grogger, a game that can be played online or on a mobile phone or iPad.

To win, players must successfully cross a bustling Flinders Street, dodging traffic and collecting bottles of water, which accrue points, or performance-reducing bottles of beer.

Dr Bruce Corben, senior research fellow at Monash University Accident Research Centre, could not say how significantly the game would influence the behaviour of its target market of young men, but said it was worth a try.

"Usually we try to propose an evidence-based approach to the measures that we use but there are certain things where you don't have a solution that's already proven so I think you have to start exploring new possibilities," Dr Corben said.

Polak offered a simple message to take more care.

"You're not invincible. I thought as I ran across the street that I was safe but one split second and, as I said, my life's changed."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/i-was-an-idiot-polak-tells-of-nearfatal-tram-dash-20100922-15mg8.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Graham Polak to marry long-time girlfriend Alyce Oksuz (Sunday Times)
« Reply #351 on: September 26, 2010, 02:56:22 AM »
Last year he nearly died, now Graham Polak starts a new life
By Anthony Deceglie
The Sunday Times
September 25, 2010 7:00PM

IT has been a remarkable recovery from the hospital bed to the wedding aisle for former AFL star Graham Polak.

WA-born Polak will marry his long-time girlfriend, model Alyce Oksuz, on Friday at St Benedict's church in Ardross.

The former Richmond and Fremantle player suffered severe brain damage when he was struck by a tram while crossing a Melbourne street on June 28 in 2008. He was placed in an induced coma and doctors feared he would not survive.

"When he was first brought into hospital I just wanted to know that he was going to live," Ms Oksuz, 24, told The Sunday Times.

"I thought I was going to lose him for ever. The doctors couldn't tell me if he would survive. It was the scariest 48 hours of my life."

It took more than a month before Polak, 26, regained vital parts of his memory.

"There was a stage when he didn't know how old he was or what his name was," Ms Oksuz said.

"Everyone was so glad he was alive, but my thoughts were on how to deal with a boyfriend who couldn't remember who I was or how to drink and eat."

His comeback to football was gradual, with his return to the field delayed by bouts of short-term memory loss and difficulties with his balance.

But Polak overcame enormous odds to play AFL again 14 months after he suffered the life-threatening brain injury.

"His courage and determination is something I really look up to," Ms Oksuz said. "The accident definitely brought us closer together.

"It certainly made us realise that we are truly in love with each other. I wouldn't wish what happened upon anyone, but I think it's made us better people."

Polak said he wouldn't have been able to recover without the support of Ms Oksuz, who plans to wear a bridal dress made by local designers Rebecca Timson and Sam Elmslien, from BQ Design.

Polak, who started his career with the Fremantle Dockers where he played 73 games, announced his retirement from the AFL in August.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/entertainment/perth-confidential/last-year-he-nearly-died-now-graham-polak-starts-a-new-life/story-e6frg30l-1225929346049

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #352 on: June 12, 2011, 12:03:05 PM »
Polak was knocked unconscious again yesterday playing for East Perth. Hope he is okay.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/wafl/9624391/polak-knocked-out-docker-mystery-in-lions-win/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Polak considers retirement (SNF)
« Reply #353 on: June 17, 2011, 03:18:23 PM »
Polak considers retirement
By Kim Hagdorn
Sports News First
17 June 2011 02:45PM EST

FORMER Richmond utility Graham Polak could retire almost exactly three years on from a near-death experience when he was hit by a Melbourne tram.

The popular Tiger and original Fremantle Dockers key position big man suffered another serious concussion bout playing with East Perth in the WAFL last week and is considering his future this weekend.

Results of his scans and medical advice approaching the weekend will determine his fate.

Polak was originally plucked into the AFL as fourth pick of the famous 2001 draft behind current day superstars Luke Ball, Luke Hodge and Chris Judd.

The WAFL has a general bye as the west plays an interstate game against Queensland in Mandurah, 60km south of Perth, leaving Polak important additional time to consider his playing future.

He had a series of brain scans early this week and is understood to be still suffering from head-aches and dizziness which is prompting his family and close associates to call for his retirement.

He was knocked unconscious when his head hit the ground after a marking contest.

Polak was unconscious for almost three minutes as club medical staff attended him after the tumble when he also hit his head on the ground.

He spent his 27th birthday on Thursday considering his future and whether to attempt another comeback from his latest serious concussion when training resumes next week after the interstate game.

Polak was struck by a tram in the inner Melbourne suburb of Armadale on a Saturday evening in late June of 2008 just hours after playing in a Richmond loss to Carlton at the MCG.

He suffered serious bruising to his brain and lay in a coma for several days when his playing career was in jeopardy.

Two of his Tigers teammates Cleve Hughes and Jordan McMahon were with Polak when he was hit by the tram.

Polak recovered and made an emotional comeback to the Tigers senior side in Round 21 of the 2009 season and stayed on Richmond’s list as a mature-age rookie for 2010.

He battled for regular chances but returned to the highest level in Round 7 last season against Adelaide in Adelaide but played the bulk of the year with affiliate club Coburg in the VFL, he only made three senior appearances for 2010.

Polak played 111 AFL games overall with 73 of those at Fremantle where he debuted in 2002.

He returned to his native state Western Australia in time for this season and crossed from his original club East Fremantle to East Perth on a two-year commitment to play with his adopted outfit.

http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/articles/2011/06/17/polak-considers-retirement/

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #354 on: June 17, 2011, 03:23:15 PM »
Good luck to him. Should hang 'em up

Ox

« Reply #355 on: June 17, 2011, 04:14:00 PM »
I think even he sees that now.

Man,u gotta love him not only for his guts but that's almost fearless poo right there.

It's just not worth it.
I'd be home hitting that Mrs of his with alarming frequency.

How many times has he been KO'd since leaving us?

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #356 on: June 17, 2011, 04:37:01 PM »
Yep, should be sitting back letting people remember him as being much better than he was.
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

gerkin greg

« Reply #357 on: June 17, 2011, 05:30:46 PM »
I'd be home hitting that Mrs of his with alarming frequency.

yep, who cares if she's got a receding hairline, she's got rimmer's smile

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #358 on: June 17, 2011, 05:55:56 PM »
cant understand why polak wouldnt be playing with a helmet given his history.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Siberian

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #359 on: June 17, 2011, 06:25:22 PM »
Those helmets are a placebo