Author Topic: Richmond mentor Craig McRae well suited to Gold Coast (The Age)  (Read 3863 times)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Richmond mentor Craig McRae well suited to Gold Coast (The Age)
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2008, 09:57:13 PM »

Assistant coaches are overated and at $100,000 a year, I honestly query there worth to a club.

Try being a successful club in the modern era without them.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2008, 10:05:03 PM »

And furthermore, the best assistant that has walked in and out of punt road recently was Mick McGaune. He cant and doesnt want to put up with the AFL crap. Great coach in his own right, coached flags at Tassie and in Gisborne. 5 in  arow at Gisborne I believe.

Yep.  Walked out of a part time job at Punt Rd to a full time job at St Kilda.  Set the world on fire with his work there.  Great country league coach - one of the boys, before the game and after the game (if you get my drift).  Unfortunately no place in the professional sphere of AFL and maybe that's where Mick found his limit.  One of Murphy's best known laws - "Every man rises to his own level of incompetence ..........................and remains there".

jackstar

« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2008, 10:12:47 PM »

And furthermore, the best assistant that has walked in and out of punt road recently was Mick McGaune. He cant and doesnt want to put up with the AFL crap. Great coach in his own right, coached flags at Tassie and in Gisborne. 5 in  arow at Gisborne I believe.

Yep.  Walked out of a part time job at Punt Rd to a full time job at St Kilda.  Set the world on fire with his work there.  Great country league coach - one of the boys, before the game and after the game (if you get my drift).  Unfortunately no place in the professional sphere of AFL and maybe that's where Mick found his limit.  One of Murphy's best known laws - "Every man rises to his own level of incompetence ..........................and remains there".

And that is why Greg Miller and Terry Wallace waited outside Sport 927 one friday morning in early Jan to offer him a job as an assistant coach at the RFC for 2008, FACT

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2008, 10:22:04 PM »

And that is why Greg Miller and Terry Wallace waited outside Sport 927 one friday morning in early Jan to offer him a job as an assistant coach at the RFC for 2008, FACT
Exactly my point.  Whatever the reason (and it really is irrelevant) he didn't get/take the job so he wasn't up to it or for it.  Makes your point even more irrelevant.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2008, 10:53:39 PM »
The Gold Coast are going to form a short list in the next week but Guy McKenna is now favourite according to Hutchy.

jackstar

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2008, 11:32:48 PM »

Exactly my point.  Whatever the reason (and it really is irrelevant) he didn't get/take the job so he wasn't up to it or for it.  Makes your point even more irrelevant.

::) He knocked them back ::)
He was up to it, he wouldnt of been offered the job if he wasnt.  He just didnt want to work for them and the crap that goes with the job.
He is a fantastic coach and his knowledge is second to none.
I might just add it wasnt his fault he got ''whacked"" from the saints, he was employed by Grant Thomas and the new coach Ross Lyon wanted his own team in, pretty simple.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2008, 11:55:49 PM »
I think its safe to say that the only person who may know his future is Craig himself. Everything else is pure speculation.

Could the brawlers please take it out to the car park. The constant hijacking of threads recently by the usual suspects is really becoming tedious.  :sleep :sleep

Maybe someone needs to start a thread and call it "The Car Park" where people can slug it out without destroying the decent threads we have here. Either that or take it to big fruity!!

Offline dereel-tiger

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2008, 08:20:08 AM »

::) He knocked them back ::)
He was up to it, he wouldnt of been offered the job if he wasnt.  He just didnt want to work for them and the crap that goes with the job.
He is a fantastic coach and his knowledge is second to none.
I might just add it wasnt his fault he got ''whacked"" from the saints, he was employed by Grant Thomas and the new coach Ross Lyon wanted his own team in, pretty simple.

l dont know how you can say that mcguane is a great football brain,jack-daniels?
gisborne bought some good players ,there in a great financial position .
l dont think alot of people understand how much work mccrae does around the club.
for someone who thinks they know people inside the club you dont really know much at all.
and every time l come on here nearlly every thread has been hijacked by you or your twin daniel .
can you give it a break ,l come on here to talk about the tigers and have a healthy discussion .
if you are bored go and buy yourself a pet.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2008, 01:13:49 PM »
The bid team received 12 applications, including two from former head coaches, and six or seven candidates will be granted an interview.

Denis Pagan
Gary Ayres (Port Melbourne)
Paul Hudson (Brisbane)
Chris Scott (Fremantle)
Craig McRae (Richmond)
Darren Bewick (the Kangaroos)
Guy McKenna (Collingwood)

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/sport/afl/story/0,27046,24071674-5016169,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Craig McRae interviewed for Gold Coast job
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2008, 03:59:14 AM »
Brad Scott, Craig McRae interviewed for Gold Coast job
Andrew Hamilton | July 31, 2008

GOLD Coast will attempt to mine modern football's most successful cultures by appointing a protege of supercoaches Michael Malthouse or Leigh Matthews as its first coach.

The Coast bid team finished the first round of interviews for the 17th AFL club's first coach with meetings yesterday with former Lions premiership teammates Brad Scott and Craig McRae.

It is understood Collingwood assistants Guy McKenna and Alan Richardson and Brisbane's Paul Hudson and Justin Leppitsch have also been interviewed.

The selection team will tomorrow draw up a shortlist of three for a secondary interview next week. The senior coach or football manager from the shortlisted applicants' clubs will be approached to provide a reference.

The interviews were conducted by former Lions chairman Graeme Downie, GC17 director Dr Alan MacKenzie, AFL coaches' association CEO Neale Daniher and senior AFL official David Mathews.

Downie, the selection committee chairman, praised the quality of the candidates and said there appeared to be no need to look beyond the applicants for other coaches.

"The quality was excellent, we were very pleased with it and the presentations were exceptionally professional," he said. "The difficult task is coming back to a shortlist.

"For the position we are offering, I don't believe there is anyone else we need to approach to improve our selection. We feel anyone from the six we saw would be quite capable of coaching an AFL team."

Who do you think should coach the Gold Coast team? Have your say
The selection committee received about 15 written applications and there were inquiries from at least five other interested parties.

Downie said there had been multiple expressions of interest from applicants with previous senior coaching experience but only one had made the interview stage. It appears he was referring to either Leppitsch or McKenna – the former guided the Lions in the NAB Cup this season while the latter was head coach at WAFL club Claremont.

He also said the selection team had been stunned by the level of expertise the candidates possessed.

"The amount of knowledge these guys have is very impressive," he said.

"Coaching is clearly not a simple process any more, now the equipment they use, the statistical information, psychological testing, GPS tracking data, it really opens your eyes up. It is a credit to the older senior coaches that they can keep up with the times."

Downie said the committee would not seek the opinions of current players when researching the applicants' credentials, but may be tempted to talk to former greats who had played under them.

"We might go to retired players with the standing of (Michael) Voss, (James) Hird or (Nathan) Buckley, but we are more likely to go the people who oversaw the candidates in their current jobs," he said. "The best reference you can get is from a senior coach or football manager. They are the ones that are directly responsible."

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/sport/afl/story/0,27046,24102575-5016169,00.html

Offline Obelix

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2008, 03:01:09 PM »
Actually there was an interview with McCrae by Alastair Lynch in the Sunday Mail (Brisbane's sunday tabloid) this weekend just gone. 

He stated a clear desire to stay at Richmond long term and his huge respect for Terry Wallace and Terry's honesty (for those who harp on about his "spin").  He said he'd leave the GC 17 gig to others.

Mind you this was probably conducted before the whole Greg Miller/Tony Free thing of the weekend.  I wouldn't blame him for wanting to jump ship now.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
McRae misses Gold Coast gig/McKenna gets the job
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2008, 09:42:43 PM »
Guy McKenna to coach first Gold Coast AFL team

August 13, 2008, 2.20pm

COLLINGWOOD assistant coach Guy McKenna has been appointed the inaugural coach of the Gold Coast's AFL franchise.

The franchise, GC17, today announced McKenna had signed a two-year deal to coach the side in the Victorian under-18 competition next year and then in the VFL in 2010.

Gold Coast will enter as the 17th team in the AFL in 2011 and McKenna was confident he could earn another contract after his first two seasons in charge.

McKenna, 39, beat a field of six candidates, and is expected to see out his contract at the Magpies - who are vying for a place in the finals - before starting on the Gold Coast.

McKenna played 267 games for West Coast from 1988-2000 and served as an assistant coach at the Eagles before he coached Claremont in the WAFL for a season in the WAFL.

He joined Collingwood in 2004.

AAP

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24174489-5012432,00.html
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2008, 10:00:18 PM »
A bit of an out of left field choice given McKenna wouldn't have a high profile in Queensland. The good news for us is McRae will be staying at Punt Rd  :thumbsup.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline 3rogerd

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2008, 10:20:57 PM »
someone across the tracks has been sniffing around. :lol