Author Topic: Wallace in hospital  (Read 3230 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Wallace on Ch 7 news
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2008, 06:26:49 PM »
Wallace on Ch 7 news:

* Had some breathing problems that's all. Ch 7 showed Wallace coughing as he was driving off.

* He said he turned up to the team meeting today to say everything is okay and we've done all the team analysis stuff even from the hospital bed.

* He said he will coach on Saturday.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Wallace in hospital
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2008, 06:27:55 PM »
Ch 7 has an "exclusive" interview with Wallace in their 6pm news tonight.

Not much to it really

* He will coach Saturday

* Went into day to speak to players and ensure them that everything was OK, all the analysis etc been done from a hosptial bed ;D

* Feeling alot better than yesterday, was really struggling for breath yesterday, hence why he went to the hospital.

* Jumped in the car and drove off

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

jackstar

« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2008, 07:03:58 PM »
Terry Wallace, full of spin.
Analysis from Hospital ::)
It was done on Monday afternoon at Punt Road ;)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2008, 07:27:40 PM »
Terry Wallace, full of spin.
Analysis from Hospital ::)

Fair dinkum Jack you need to lighten up.... spin

Have you absolutely no sense of humour ???

I thought one of these  ;D  at the end of the sentence would make it clear that Wallace was taking the "mickey", you no having a bit of a joke.... people are allowed to do that sometimes aren't they ???

Perhaps for you I should have typed "Went into day to speak to players and ensure them that everything was OK then in brackets added "wry grin on Wallace's face at this point so it was clearing he was taking the pee (to borrow ramps's favourite term)"

::) ::) indeed

:eyebrow :eyebrow
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2008, 10:54:51 PM »
Hutchy got someone from Nine to ambush Wallace this morning. They asked him a heap of questions while he was taking deep breaths  ::). Like he told Ch 7, Wallace said again he'll coach this weekend. Hutchy thinks it's questionable saying Terry's condition hasn't improved and he's still having trouble breathing and is coughing uncontrollably despite being expected to leave hospital tomorrow.

jackstar

« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2008, 11:25:42 PM »
 :whistle

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Wallace right to take on Dons (The Age)
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2008, 02:42:26 AM »
Wallace right to take on Dons
Karen Lyon | July 18, 2008

RICHMOND coach Terry Wallace is adamant he will guide the club into its crucial match against Essendon at the MCG tomorrow despite spending his second night in hospital last night with a chest infection.

Wallace left the private hospital for a team meeting at Punt Road yesterday before returning for overnight treatment.

But, asked whether he would be in the coach's box tomorrow Wallace said: "Absolutely".

He said he attended the meeting to assure the team his illness had not disrupted the club's tactical preparation for the Essendon game. "I just wanted to make sure the boys knew that everything had been covered off as per normal," Wallace told the Seven Network. "We've done all our analysis from the hospital bed."

Wallace said his health was improving, although his breathing was still hampered. He was taken to hospital on Wednesday after first feeling ill last weekend.

"It's getting better, certainly I'm a lot better than what I was 24 hours ago, I'm just really struggling for breath," he said.

Richmond and Essendon have remote chances of making the finals after a run of recent good form.

The winner of this match will remain in striking distance of the top eight, while the loser will find its season all but over.

Richmond has maintained all week that Wallace would be at the helm for the must-win clash and, as well as giving his own assurance, his appearance at the club yesterday is the best indication yet that he will be well enough to fulfil his match-day duties.

In his absence, assistant coaches Brian Royal, Jade Rawlings and David King have overseen training this week. Should Wallace be unable to coach tomorrow, it is likely Royal, Richmond's director of coaching, will take the reins for match day.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/wallace-right-to-take-on-dons/2008/07/17/1216163059412.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Plucky Plough back at Punt Rd (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2008, 02:53:06 AM »
Plucky Plough back at Punt Rd
Herald-Sun 18 Jul 2008, Page 118
By Mark Stevens

RICHMOND coach Terry Wallace is expected to be back at Punt Rd this morning to watch his players round off preparations for the clash with Essendon.

Although Wallace spent another night in hospital last night, colleagues at Tigerland are hopeful he will check out in time for the final session.

Wallace, who was struck down by a respiratory infection in Perth at the weekend, appears certain to be in the coach's box for tomorrow's game.

Asked yesterday if he was right to coach against the Bombers, Wallace declared: "Absolutely''.

Wallace visited the club yesterday to assure his players that he had prepared as usual.

"I've done all the analysing from the hospital bed,'' Wallace told Channel Seven.

Wallace said he felt "a lot better'', revealing he was struggling for breath when the infection was at its worst.

He was forced to cross the country in distress after the 77-point win against West Coast on Sunday at Subiaco.

The 2am arrival in Melbourne did nothing to help his condition.

Sports medico Dr Peter Larkins last night said Wallace was likely to be fatigued.
He said the severity of respiratory infections can be wide-ranging.

"It can be anything from a blocked nose to pneumonia,'' Larkins said. "He wouldn't be in hospital if it was just a blocked nose.
"
Pneumonia is the extreme version. If he had pneumonia, Terry would not have been allowed out of hospital today.''

If Wallace's condition worsens to the extent that he can not be at the MCG tomorrow, experienced assistant Brian Royal is likely to step up to the role.

Royal will front the media at Punt Rd after training to give an update on Wallace's health.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2008, 12:11:12 PM »
Royal just said that a flu won't stop Wallace from coaching tomorrow. Terry will be there. The hardest thing will be the 90 steps up and down from the coaches' box at the MCG but there's a lift there too. If they find he (Royal) has to give the quarter and 3/4 time addresses then they've planned for that too.

Ox

« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2008, 12:16:27 PM »
blood clot on lung ?

if so,they better check the insulation at punt road..

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Illness won't stop Wallace (RFC)
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2008, 12:51:00 PM »
Illness won't stop Wallace
richmondfc.com.au
By Mic Cullen
12:01 PM Fri 18 July, 2008

RICHMOND has named an unchanged team from last Sunday's smashing of West Coast, and it's the same story in the coaches box.

Senior coach Terry Wallace has spent the last few days in hospital with a respiratory infection, but he's certain to have both hands on the wheel for Saturday's big clash with fellow finals-aspirants Essendon.

Assistant coach Brian Royal said Wallace was certain to be driving the boat at what is expected to be a wet MCG.

"Terry's fine to coach," he said on Friday morning."Terry's again spent the night in hospital last night, just to continue the medication, but he'll definitely coach.

"But the thing that you can't do is discount these viruses and infections, and I guess that the precautionary measure of going into hospital and making sure he gets the right medication has probably allowed him to get better a little bit quicker.

"It's just a really bad cold, and the plane flight and obviously the interstate trip has probably brought it on a lot quicker."

Royal said the club has looked into the logistics of making life a bit easier for the 49-year-old – who ran the team meeting on Friday morning – on matchday.

"Probably some of the harder things is climbing the 90 stairs to get up to the coaches box at the MCG, but there's a lift, and we'll put a few things in place which will allow Terry to get down on the ground.

"If it comes to the crunch throughout the course of the game where I've got to speak to the players at the breaks, we can work that out as the game goes on.

"Terry's been laid up in hospital or in bed, he's going to be weak to a certain extent, so I think it's up to all our coaches to help Terry out, as we do most match days anyway.

"It's work as normal – we all contribute on gameday, so  I don't see it being any different."

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsId=63629

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2008, 12:54:14 PM »
Plough txted into SEN to say he is coaching tomorrow and as an aside Diamond Creek FC are auctioning off tonight a day in the box with Wallace at our next MCG game (vs Geelong presumably) plus also meeting the players in the rooms.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers take steps to lift Wallace (The Age)
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2008, 03:04:36 AM »
Tigers take steps to lift Wallace
Michael Gleeson | The Age | July 19, 2008

TERRY Wallace will still be pulling the strings, but he may not be the one delivering all the messages in today's match against Essendon.

After spending several nights in hospital with a respiratory infection that threatened to deteriorate into pneumonia, Wallace was back at Punt Road yesterday for a team meeting but ignored the cold and drizzle during a light training run.

Richmond director of coaching Brian Royal said Wallace would certainly coach today but changes might be made to accommodate his health, such as taking a lift to reach the coach's box.

If Wallace's hacking cough and chest troubles prove too much, Royal will deliver the talk at the breaks. But the message being passed on will be Wallace's.

"Terry is fine to coach," Royal said. "He again spent the night in hospital last night just to continue the medication, but he will definitely coach.

"Probably one of the harder things is climbing the 90 stairs to the coach's box at the MCG, but there is a lift and we will put a few things in place which will allow Terry to get down on the ground."

Wallace is likely to leave the coach's box earlier than normal — well before the ends of quarters — to give himself time to reach the huddles without exhausting himself.

"If it comes to the crunch where I have to speak to the players at the breaks, we can work that out as the game goes on," Royal said.

"I think all the coaches will play a more significant role.

"Terry has been laid up in hospital, he is going to be weak to an extent, so it will be up to all of the coaches to help Terry out.

"But it's work as normal. We all contribute on game day so I don't see it as any different … it takes a lot to keep him down.

"Terry had a distinguished career as a player and played with a lot of pretty critical injuries, so I don't see this holding him back.

"He is a pretty tough person and very competitive, and no doubt he sees it as a very important game, and wants to be in charge."

It is understood Wallace was extremely ill during last week's match against West Coast in Perth, having woken in his hotel room in a cold sweat with a persistent cough.

He coached through that game after taking medicine prescribed by the club doctor, but the airconditioning on the weekend's two plane flights meant he was unable to shake the chest problem.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/tigers-take-steps-to-lift-wallace/2008/07/18/1216163159069.html