Author Topic: Brett Deledio [merged]  (Read 223576 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Brett Deledio [merged]
« Reply #645 on: January 25, 2012, 12:19:11 PM »
If he wants to go he will go irrespective of the rules IMHO.

Cannot agree as I said under FA we hold the aces here

The rules are the rules Flags and I know I sound like a broken record but again we

As I see it there are 2 scenarios here

Under free agency as restricted free agent if the Tigers match ANY offer he receives then he has to stay. End of story. Not open to any discussion

If the Club chooses not match an offer then he gets traded - again those are the rules

So under FA if "he wants to go" he can only go if we don't match the offer and then he gets traded to club that gives us the best deal.

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #646 on: January 25, 2012, 12:20:49 PM »
Yes. Whilst the chances would be amplified by a poor year for the club, another heartbreaking 9th again would likely do it anyway.

So in your view Magic the FA rules that favour the RFC are redundant in your case as well?  :huh

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #647 on: January 25, 2012, 12:23:29 PM »
Is anyone concerned that we could end up in strife regarding salary cap.

Absolutely not

We've been paying under the salary cap for the last couple of years around 92.5%

Granted in 2012 we must pay for memory a minimum of 95% of the cap but I doubt we'd be over that so we have plenty of room

And also don't forget alot players re-signed for 2012 were only given 1 year deals for the very reason that allows us to free up space for the marque players

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #648 on: January 25, 2012, 12:29:28 PM »
If he wants to go he will go irrespective of the rules IMHO.

Cannot agree as I said under FA we hold the aces here

The rules are the rules Flags and I know I sound like a broken record but again we

As I see it there are 2 scenarios here

Under free agency as restricted free agent if the Tigers match ANY offer he receives then he has to stay. End of story. Not open to any discussion

If the Club chooses not match an offer then he gets traded - again those are the rules

So under FA if "he wants to go" he can only go if we don't match the offer and then he gets traded to club that gives us the best deal.

He could also just ask to be traded billy. Of course the club would play hardball but if he really wants out he can get out. The question is does he really want out and why?

Frankly I dont care one way or the other as we should get adequate compensation. Unless the club of his choice trades into first pick of the ND, he isnt going to just walk if it is success he is after.

My feeling is that his manager will field offers from rival clubs to up his contract value and as others have pointed out, we would have more room in our salary cap than the top sides

God , roll on the season proper  :help
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #649 on: January 25, 2012, 12:32:14 PM »
I agree with WP he will stay. I'm not fussed about him holding off from signing before the season. He most likely wants to see what his market rate is so he can get the most money he can get(from us). I won't criticize the man for doing that.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #650 on: January 25, 2012, 12:38:00 PM »
He could also just ask to be traded billy. Of course the club would play hardball but if he really wants out he can get out. The question is does he really want out and why?

Not disputing that for a minute al

If he asks for a trade then, yep he's a good chance of going but if it is based solely on matching offers he stays

If he does ask for trade (and I don't believe he will) then the club again does the best deal it can for the Club.... again we win

Can I just add that I think people are forgetting the Club has worked bloody hard to position itself to be in strong position for FA. They hired Hartley who seems to across the various scenarios regarding not only FA but uncontracted players from other clubs.

They appear to have made sure that salary cap wise they are ready to go in the FA market with they way they've gone about list management heading into 2012.

I reckon the club are across all the possible outcomes and would see this latest posturing by a player manager (going by the article) as just part and parcel of how the FA market is going to work

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #651 on: January 25, 2012, 01:00:51 PM »

Not disputing that for a minute al

If he asks for a trade then, yep he's a good chance of going but if it is based solely on matching offers he stays

If he does ask for trade (and I don't believe he will) then the club again does the best deal it can for the Club.... again we win

Can I just add that I think people are forgetting the Club has worked bloody hard to position itself to be in strong position for FA. They hired Hartley who seems to across the various scenarios regarding not only FA but uncontracted players from other clubs.

They appear to have made sure that salary cap wise they are ready to go in the FA market with they way they've gone about list management heading into 2012.

I reckon the club are across all the possible outcomes and would see this latest posturing by a player manager (going by the article) as just part and parcel of how the FA market is going to work

at some point the club will have to make a decision as to whether to match $1m a year offer from a competitor , or let him walk for 2 first round draft picks in a super draft.

Either way at this point it is fair to say that he hasn't shown the loyalty that Jack, Cotch and dusty have shown.

dwaino

« Reply #652 on: January 25, 2012, 01:02:05 PM »
I understand we hold the cards and all that, but if he wants to go then there isn't much good in keeping him around if he would rather be somewhere else.

Sydeny did it with Ryan O'Keefe 4 or so years ago. He wanted to come home to Melb,they couldn't do a trade and he stayed and has since (last year IIRC) signed another long term contract that will ensure he is a Swan for life.

Tigers can do the same

and FWIW there's not a doubt in my mind that the Tigers will match any offer Lids receives, they cannot afford not too  ;D

I understand restricted agency and completely understand where you're coming from in your previous posts, but if (hypothetically) Carlton were chucking something stupid at him and he was keen as mustard, do we match it even though his heart isn't in it? I see your O'Keefe example, but this is different in that we're talking about a league star being head hunted.

Just my 2 cents anyway. I'm going to try and stay optimistic.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #653 on: January 25, 2012, 01:12:48 PM »
Either way at this point it is fair to say that he hasn't shown the loyalty that Jack, Cotch and dusty have shown.

He hasn't? Why because hasn't signed a contract extension now?

The fact that since he was drafted he has re-signed twice I think shows he's been very loyal, especially considering last time (2009) he knocked back some pretty decent offers from other clubs to remain at the tigers

Offline smasha

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #654 on: January 25, 2012, 01:15:23 PM »
All this means is-"I want to stay but I want us to play finals or I'm going"

Lids is feeling older and is desperate for finals action so is Newy.

tony_montana

« Reply #655 on: January 25, 2012, 02:27:47 PM »
fair enough call on his behalf

if we continue to make progress and head in the right direction this year he will stay regardless of whether we actually play finals or not - if we go backwards and challenge for the spoon, things may get interesting...

Either way Im happy, Love Lids as a player but 2 x 1st round draft picks if he leaves is fine by me also

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #656 on: January 25, 2012, 03:00:19 PM »
Pretty crappy on Bretts behalf if you ask me, commit to the club now or stuff off now. Look at how Abblet affected Geelong...all bloody year, thats all we herad. How the hell can the rest of the players concerntrate on finals or week to week aith this poo goiung on.

Shame on you Deledio, if he goes so does my membership and AFL all together for mine, its just not worth trying to rebuild time and time again after losing players like this...if we do. Clubs like the Blues or the Pies get stronger because players like Lids go there (example) while clubs like us get weaker......

Not happy Jan... :banghead :banghead :banghead

RFC and Deledio should of had this sorted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Ox

« Reply #657 on: January 25, 2012, 03:03:21 PM »
speaks volumes ....

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #658 on: January 25, 2012, 03:05:19 PM »
Good to see Lids following on from the examples of Cotchin & Martin..

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #659 on: January 25, 2012, 03:07:53 PM »
So in your view Magic the FA rules that favour the RFC are redundant in your case as well?  :huh

How so?

If he wants to go, the club won't match a motza to keep him. Why would you pay top dollar for a disgruntled player?