Author Topic: Brett Deledio [merged]  (Read 223567 times)

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Brett Deledio [merged]
« Reply #720 on: February 03, 2012, 09:04:11 AM »
Loyalty is a two way street, but many supporters want it one way.

Maybe we should all switch to a team that's more successful and brings us more joy too.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #721 on: February 03, 2012, 10:46:29 AM »

Dead right this is what I said from the start. Ala Scully and Ablett.......not good enough, this will affect the team all year, the press will ensure this..

What was interesting is on SEN this morning Benny Gale said this sort of stuff it isn't the distraction the media portrays it to be. Media likes to make it one but within a club it isn't. Benny's view on this carries more weight in my eyes than the media and "nervous nellie" supporters  ;D

Perhaps instead of locking into the media frenzy people should show a little bit more faith in the Club

« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 01:18:58 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #722 on: February 03, 2012, 10:53:38 AM »
Good post Damo but if Deledio walks for more coin you can hardly blame supporters for being angry.

That's "if" Mr Magic and yes I agree supporters will be angry and that's fine I don't blame them

However, at the moment he hasn't walked so I don't understand why any supporter(s) would be telling/saying to him "See you Brett, thanks for f.... all.".

No need for it, no need for the hysteria, save the venom and vitirol for "when" not an "if"

There's alot of water to go under the bridge as they say  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #723 on: February 03, 2012, 11:03:44 AM »
Good post Damo but if Deledio walks for more coin you can hardly blame supporters for being angry.

However, at the moment he hasn't walked so I don't understand why any supporter(s) would be telling/saying to him "See you Brett, thanks for f.... all.".

No need for it, no need for the hysteria, save the venom and vitirol for "when" not an "if"

WAT's words are his own Powelly.  8)

Lids has my support until 'if' he decides to head elsewhere. I'm a fan of his work and hope he stays to finish what he started, even 'if' the coin is better.

That doesn't stop me being a little disgruntled though. It may very well be the best business move for him but that doesn't prevent me disliking the distraction that he hasn't signed on yet when others have shown their commitment. Sorry but I find that a bit selfish in a team sport.

The Cats would give me better value for my membership money and more personal joy too but you don't see me switching. Maybe I'm the fool.

Stay Lids & sign sooner rather than later.

tony_montana

« Reply #724 on: February 03, 2012, 01:14:04 PM »
Newman said on SEN he's been trying to convince Lids to sign since reading the article. Felt that he didn't want Lid's signature hanging over the Tigers season ala Scully.

Dead right this is what I said from the start. Ala Scully and Ablett.......not good enough, this will affect the team all year, the press will ensure this..

I actually think he will go if not signed up by seasons end, he will look at others players going where and where the premiership option is.....

See you Brett, thanks for f.... all.

you're a big stuffen girl  :moi

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #725 on: February 03, 2012, 01:42:38 PM »
Here's the funny thing.

If a player is an old fashioned battler who gives his all, or if a good player is getting on a bit, supporters will still call for him to be given the ahrse.

No place for sentiment, we must move on and do what is best for the club.

Yet if a good player wants to leave for money of better chances of success, to do what is best for him, he is a mongrel dog.

Loyalty is a two way street, but many supporters want it one way.

Supporters want whats best for the club first, irrespective. Everything else is secondary.

I think we are making the same point....but you cant blame supporters. If supporters followed players over a club, you'd have people changing teams on a yearly basis.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #726 on: February 03, 2012, 01:49:32 PM »

What was interesting is on SEN this morning Benny Gale said this sort of stuff it isn't the distraction the media portrays it to be. Media likes to make it one but within a club it isn't. Benny's view on this carries more weight in my eyes than the media and "nervous nellie" supporters  ;D

Perhaps instead of locking into the media frenzy people should show a little bit more faith in the Club

* Maher asked Benny about Lids not re-signing being a distraction and how much time does Benny spend dealing with it. Benny said he doesn't spend as much time on it as you would think. Both parties are frank and candid about where they want to go. Media puts petrol on it which can be a distraction.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #727 on: February 03, 2012, 07:29:10 PM »
Lets wait and see then eh...I do think some of you need to take your heads out of the sand...

What happens when us supporters say we will leave the club, wont be members again, tear up our tickets etc..... we are called disloyal, weak, discusting etc.....

When a player does it, its ok, if Deledio goes he is a peice of poo IMO same as Ottens was...think what you want, Ottens got his premiership/s and we went further downhill when he left, we still dont have a proven ruckman....

Same will happen when and if Lids goes.

WP, lets watch the media circus as the year develops and the weekly and/or daily questioning about Lids contract, then lets watch the ensuing game after that...

By the middle of the season the players will have had enough of the attention on Lids...is he or isnt he....just like Ablett, dont tell me that didn't affect the GF result, even Bomber said that it did.

Damo....your comment :"That is so low. Even worse than normal"....is it or is Deledio leaving the club (if it happens) that developed him and the supporters and kids following him, wearing his number and wanting to be like him in a RFC jumper lower.....think about it.

Business yes....but where does it end, we cant keep rebuilding pal, if we cant keep players like Lids we are stuffed, then what, Cotch goes when he can, Martin, Riewoldt......where does it end. Look at the Pies, the Blues, Bombers.. they stick fat....something we need at the club.

There is only talk about a player like Lids going to Essendon, Pies, Blues.......who is wanting to come to us from them.....no one...I wonder why!!!!!
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #728 on: February 03, 2012, 07:32:20 PM »
Can see what you're saying WAT but reckon you're getting ahead of yourself. I know you are saying IF but we should have a solid season and I reckon Lids will sign for a few more years. IF we're struggling this year and Lids hasn't signed then the media will start to fire up. Surely we're strong enough to ignore that poo though? If we're not then we are mentally weak

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #729 on: February 03, 2012, 07:36:33 PM »
Wat, comparing a supporter to a player is like comparing apples and pears.

as a player you have a very limited time to achieve success and/or make good money

as a supporter you have a lifetime.

you only want lids to stay because you believe that is best for the club and ultimately best for you. If he decides it is best for him to go elsewhere what's the difference?

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #730 on: February 03, 2012, 07:50:50 PM »

as a player you have a very limited time to achieve success and/or make good money

you only want lids to stay because you believe that is best for the club and ultimately best for you. If he decides it is best for him to go elsewhere what's the difference?

It might be in your book al but not in mine...

They all make good money, more than I will see and they do it in that short time frame....

My lifetime is fading and I have been waiting since 1980 for more success....so am I asking too much as a member????

I want Lids to stay for the longivity of the club...not for me, I want him to stay for me so I can see that success again....is that too much to ask from a 20+ year member...I think not.

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #731 on: February 03, 2012, 08:06:07 PM »
as member that it is not too much to ask for success, but you admit you want him to stay so YOU can get what you want.

He will make a decision that he thinks is best for him.

same/same

Ultimately, we all do what is best for us and we really shouldn't expect someone else to make sacrifices for our benefit.

the other point is, he is only one man. if we got two first round draft choices for him it may end up increasing your chances of seeing the ultimate success we all crave.

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #732 on: February 03, 2012, 08:08:11 PM »

Default golden rule of footy, the club is bigger than any player.

It settles all arguements, and rightly so.

As you were Citizens  :police:

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #733 on: February 03, 2012, 08:28:31 PM »
Look if he goes he goes, I sure as hell won't influence what he decides either way.

But those are my thoughts of him if he does, maybe I am too loyal for my own good, I am the same in my personal life towards family and friends and at work, to my company and work collegues...thats me.

DD, good point, the club is but without players like Lids the club becomes less, the more we lose the less we become, look at the Saints in the early days, then they lost Lockett......how many years of rebuilding......

I want him to stay so the CLUB and the SUPPORTERS get what we wan't ...not just me, or am I the only one that wants a GF cup??

Regardless of picks we get for him, thats not the point.

If he leaves yes it will be for what is best for him, based on money, perks, endorsements,......overall MONEY MONEY MONEY.......yes he will follow a GF win chance but in the end its MONEY!!!!!

"Rucks:

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #734 on: February 03, 2012, 08:43:28 PM »
i dont think so what. i reckon if he leaves it will be for playing in a successful team rather than money.

as an eight year player or restricted free agent if we match whatever offer is presented, he cant just go.

most likely only bottom clubs could offer a larger salary, than us due to salary cap restraints, so it is unlikely he will leave at years end.

in another 2 years though he can just up and go. if we havnt made finals and dont really look like it, could you blame him for going?