Author Topic: Tiger turmoil on Free speech  (Read 5835 times)

Offline dereel-tiger

• Future Richmond star
Re: Tiger turmoil on Free speech
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2008, 10:42:48 AM »
Not sure why anyone is bringing Steven Wright into all this, this is a board matter
The board had the football sub-committee which makes decisions on the football department, Tony Free is a board member and as such isn't responsible to Wright.
Not Wrights responsibility to be making a decision on Miller either, he's a business man, not a football expert

infamy wright was millers boss of some sorts although miller was sort of wrights boss ,confusing YEAH.
what a conflict of interest having miller on the board ,where he is nearly untouchable .
finally hes off the board wright is his boss ,and bang hes gone .
alot of people say having former tigers around as being negative ,but millers position was  negative.
he had too much control and obviously wasnt doing his job properly ,so when the chance came up he went .

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2008, 10:58:59 AM »
its funny how all of a sudden people are saying the tigers are in trouble because of tony free.
last year most supporters couldnt wait to place the noose around wallace and miller.
and most of this year as well ,
its not frees fault miller went,it was decided before free joined the board .
l would suspect that steve wright also had a hand in millers removal ,maybe the tigers are using tony free as a scapegoat for some personal removal.
whatever the case is some deadwood needs to be removed if wallace cant handle new assistants maybe he should go.
you dont hear much from other clubs when they make changes ,lve got a feeling that this will benefit the club in the future, and will remove people who think they can do as they please wallace being one of them .
greg miller should have confronted march when he heard about his sacking instead of trying to turn it into a circus .
miller no doubt leaked his possible sacking to the media and took off .
all in all l think people are over reacting ,l see this opportunity is a chance for us to get better people in the club and take us to the top.
our financial position is really good and now we can finally get decent staff in ,with richmond success  as there prime objective not there pockets or egos .
as for tony free speaking in an interview l dont think there would be a problem any other time, its just the timing when the tigers are trying to play low key.

I think you are twisting the situation here to somehow be TW's fault?!? ??? Tony Free is the problem here plain and simple. He is is the one who broke confidentiality, who went to the media against the clubs wishes and spoke about an inhouse issue that he knew very little about. Ultimately that was both unwise to his own position and damaging to the stability of the club.

The club is reeling from the sacking of a respected and influencial member of our administration. A leader who worked tirelessly to establish the groundings of future success for our club through player recruiting and coaching/administration appointments. Now perhaps he has done as much as he could do and the timing was right for him to move on but the whole manner in which it has been handled it extremely disappointing. This is particularly upsetting considering the positive position we find ourselves on field for the first time in years.

I am starting to believe now that Miller was moved on because of board politics rather than through any vision, shakeup or effort to bring in new ideas. It just reaks of petty squabbling and power plays that have nothing to do with trying to create future success in the club and everything to do with personal agendas.

Tony Free reminds me a young leader at work who is insecure and tries to force people to respect him and his ideas through aggression. This just does not work. He should have used the invitation into the coaches box to learn and understand how things work and sit with the panel. Tony should have attempted to establish trust and empathy with the coaches so then later, when he has had time to pinpoint any areas for future improvements, he can approach TW to work with him to initiate changes or at least give the coaches some shared ownership of the process. This way any changes are made collectively, with everyone informed and when he speaks to the board to make recommendation he has been transparent to everyone which caused far less resentment for all involved.

Instead now all the coaches despise the man and he will struggle to work with them or the players in the future. This makes it very hard for him to have any input or influence in the future.

I think he will not be around for very long. We need smart operators who can work with people rather than try and make misinformed whole-sale changes.

Stripes

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2008, 11:16:19 AM »

Free has held talks with a number of assistant coaches at other clubs, along with recently retired Nathan Buckley, and some of his comments about Richmond are understood to have filtered back to Wallace's team.

Well, at least I think we have found our leak.  Get rid of him before he causes any more problems.   >:(

Offline dereel-tiger

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2008, 11:19:44 AM »
its funny how all of a sudden people are saying the tigers are in trouble because of tony free.
last year most supporters couldnt wait to place the noose around wallace and miller.
and most of this year as well ,
its not frees fault miller went,it was decided before free joined the board .
l would suspect that steve wright also had a hand in millers removal ,maybe the tigers are using tony free as a scapegoat for some personal removal.
whatever the case is some deadwood needs to be removed if wallace cant handle new assistants maybe he should go.
you dont hear much from other clubs when they make changes ,lve got a feeling that this will benefit the club in the future, and will remove people who think they can do as they please wallace being one of them .
greg miller should have confronted march when he heard about his sacking instead of trying to turn it into a circus .
miller no doubt leaked his possible sacking to the media and took off .
all in all l think people are over reacting ,l see this opportunity is a chance for us to get better people in the club and take us to the top.
our financial position is really good and now we can finally get decent staff in ,with richmond success  as there prime objective not there pockets or egos .
as for tony free speaking in an interview l dont think there would be a problem any other time, its just the timing when the tigers are trying to play low key.

I think you are twisting the situation here to somehow be TW's fault?!? ??? Tony Free is the problem here plain and simple. He is is the one who broke confidentiality, who went to the media against the clubs wishes and spoke about an inhouse issue that he knew very little about. Ultimately that was both unwise to his own position and damaging to the stability of the club.

The club is reeling from the sacking of a respected and influencial member of our administration. A leader who worked tirelessly to establish the groundings of future success for our club through player recruiting and coaching/administration appointments. Now perhaps he has done as much as he could do and the timing was right for him to move on but the whole manner in which it has been handled it extremely disappointing. This is particularly upsetting considering the positive position we find ourselves on field for the first time in years.

I am starting to believe now that Miller was moved on because of board politics rather than through any vision, shakeup or effort to bring in new ideas. It just reaks of petty squabbling and power plays that have nothing to do with trying to create future success in the club and everything to do with personal agendas.

Tony Free reminds me a young leader at work who is insecure and tries to force people to respect him and his ideas through aggression. This just does not work. He should have used the invitation into the coaches box to learn and understand how things work and sit with the panel. Tony should have attempted to establish trust and empathy with the coaches so then later, when he has had time to pinpoint any areas for future improvements, he can approach TW to work with him to initiate changes or at least give the coaches some shared ownership of the process. This way any changes are made collectively, with everyone informed and when he speaks to the board to make recommendation he has been transparent to everyone which caused far less resentment for all involved.

Instead now all the coaches despise the man and he will struggle to work with them or the players in the future. This makes it very hard for him to have any input or influence in the future.

I think he will not be around for very long. We need smart operators who can work with people rather than try and make misinformed whole-sale changes.

Stripes

you should write scripts for the bold and the beautiful or one of those daytime soaps .
it is obvious that the club wants to change a few positions ,so be it .
other clubs do it ,whats the problem.
the timing is the grey area here ,but they have had this planned for a while before free even joined the board .

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2008, 11:31:18 AM »
I'm guessing you didn't even read what I wrote.

I don't ming hiring new assistant coaches but the many in which Tony conducted his 'review' was arrogant and childish. You need to learn before you can teach, and you need to know how the coaches work collectively and individually before he can assume to make judgments on them. If the coaches are guared around you how will you ever see how they operate?

My guess is that Tony wants to come in as a savour of the club, hire a big name assistant coach that everyone will herald as a 'masterstroke' without knowing whether they can work with the current coaches or how the person will best be used. If Tony wants to bring in a new assistant then he first has to consult with the coaches to see if and how they could be utilized.

If you want to appointment to be successful then how about involving the people who will be working with them. Pretty simple isn't it..... :o

Stripes

Ox

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2008, 12:07:05 PM »

you should write scripts for the bold and the beautiful or one of those daytime soaps .
it is obvious that the club wants to change a few positions ,so be it .
other clubs do it ,whats the problem.
the timing is the grey area here ,but they have had this planned for a while before free even joined the board .

Timing is everything pal.

learn it.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2008, 01:05:04 PM »
My guess is that Tony wants to come in as a savour of the club, hire a big name assistant coach that everyone will herald as a 'masterstroke' without knowing whether they can work with the current coaches or how the person will best be used. If Tony wants to bring in a new assistant then he first has to consult with the coaches to see if and how they could be utilized.
Scary thing is, if T-a-T was Free then he was pretty open on wanting to get Sheedy
Getting in a younger and more contemporary skill set my ass

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2008, 01:56:53 PM »
Tony's a Tiger has returned to apologise and say he's not Tony Free :whistle

http://yellowandblack.com.au/forum/showpost.php?p=184824&postcount=1

Offline TFL

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2008, 02:06:03 PM »
Why is everyone blaming Tony Free for Millers sacking?

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2008, 02:25:33 PM »

I never followed this season in the internet forums.
All the same, strange that an apology comes now ??????? :whistle

Ox

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2008, 02:39:16 PM »

yeh right  :wallywink

Just what we need, - a pickled has been that uses internet forums making calls on behalf of the club... :banghead

Offline shannon

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2008, 02:55:58 PM »
KB today spoke very highly about Free, and said we are and will be a better club with Free on the board. Rckons Free is a super bloke, tells it as it is, a great leader, and very intelligent.

Time will tell, i hope Kb is right
DELEDIO FOR CAPTAIN ASAP!

Moi

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2008, 03:39:41 PM »
KB today spoke very highly about Free, and said we are and will be a better club with Free on the board. Rckons Free is a super bloke, tells it as it is, a great leader, and very intelligent.

Wonder how KB will feel if we appoint Cameron Schwab.
Wasn't he never coming back to the club until he was dead or something lol

Ox

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2008, 04:08:29 PM »

KB sulked for 25 years.....

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2008, 04:40:47 PM »
KB sulked for 25 years.....
I do agree with you on that, in fact I've been critical of KB's quarter of a century long sook

Having said that, I'd still rather KB back at the club even as a token gesture than Schwab in any official capacity