Author Topic: Paula Wriedt Alleged Suicide Attempt  (Read 4175 times)

Moi

Paula Wriedt Alleged Suicide Attempt
« on: August 05, 2008, 12:14:54 PM »
The lady in the Sam Newman affair is being reported as a suicide attempt.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/08/05/2324396.htm

Tasmanian Government staff are being told that State Government Minister Paula Wriedt tried to commit suicide yesterday.

Ms Wriedt is still in hospital after being rushed there in an ambulance yesterday afternoon.

The State Government is still refusing to say what is wrong with Ms Wriedt, but behind closed doors staff are being told it was a suicide attempt.

The Deputy Premier, Lara Giddings, says Ms Wriedt remains in hospital and so far only family have visited.

"We are concerned for her health and wellbeing, and it is really up to her family now to speak further about any of her medical or personal concerns," said Ms Giddings.

Ms Giddings says it is not appropriate to speculate on whether Ms Wriedt had been about to resign, or if she did attempt suicide.

Ms Wriedt's family has so far refused to comment on her condition, although the Government does expect them to make a statement today.

Premier, David Bartlett, has taken over Ms Wriedt's economic development and tourism portfolios and says she will need treatment and time to recover.

He says it is clear that in the short-term Ms Wriedt will be unable to perform her duties as a minister.

Ms Wriedt recently separated from her second husband and moved out of the family home.

The Chairman of Beyond Blue Jeff Kennett has told ABC local Radio Paula Wriedt is entitled to privacy while she recovers.

"The incident itself is a call and a cry for help, and I hope and expect that the Premier through to the vast majority of the Tasmanian community will all be extending their wishes for a fast and speedy recovery," he said.

Ms Wriedt made national news last week when television personality Sam Newman apologised for making lewd comments about her.

For help and advice people can call the SANE helpline on 1800 187 263.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Paula Wriedt Alleged Suicide Attempt
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 08:26:57 PM »
Sad. The family were saying it had nothing to do with Sam but moreso the breakdown of her second marriage. Just goes to show you never know what is going through a person's mind. You look at her from the outside and she has a successful career and looks to have it all together yet she wanted to end her own life in her prime. Hopefully she has the support from friends and family to help her.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Ox

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 08:32:22 PM »
I've always had the opinion that those who attempt suicide are weak as pee.

Grab life and savor every day ffs and when u do go,go down fighting!

Sams banter,ironically,may give this woman the confidence she seems to think she needs to
make it thru,long term.

bushranger

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 09:08:35 AM »
I agree with what  []())([]  said as its true. But she is one hell of a good looker and it would have been a shame for her to take the easy way out. Not that doing that would be easy. I really think she has more to look forwards to than most and she wants to cut it short, so I think this show you what type of character she is.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 11:50:20 AM »
I'm with you guys, life has it's ups and downs but it's still grouse.
Don't get the logic in suicide, death scares me to, well 'death'

bushranger

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 07:09:09 PM »
I agree CUB.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 06:04:09 PM »

bushranger

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 07:35:31 PM »
The last time anyone from Tasmania government was suffering from depression. Which I think she is. They (The Federal Government) threw money into depression. But before they said that they couldn't find any more money to put in.
So why have they change things now. Is it because she is only in Government and not the Premier that they have sacked her. I can't figure this one out or is they more to come in later installments.

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 02:13:03 PM »
It is unlawful in this country to sack someone while they are on sick leave: (this includes demoting people while they are on leave)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Protection against unlawful termination

It is unlawful for an employer to terminate an employee's employment on discriminatory grounds. This is called unlawful termination. Unlawful termination provisions apply to all employees in Australia. Employees who are excluded from making unfair dismissal claims are not excluded from making unlawful termination claims.

An employee can apply to the AIRC if they believe their employment was terminated for an unlawful reason, including:

* temporary absence from work because of illness or injury

http://www.workplaceauthority.gov.au/graphics.asp?showdoc=/WorkplaceRelations/terminationOfEmployment.asp

I don't think we've heard the last of this one yet...

Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

bushranger

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 02:26:24 PM »
Well I was sacked from my job as a road worker, once they got the doctors report that said that my back was not going to be a short term fix. (3 Back operations later) I got to work in the morning and everyone went off to get to work, I was told to hold on. So I did.
Then the boss came over to me about a half an hour later where I was sitting.
He said that I was too much of a risk to keep employed there and I was told to get into the car and they would drive me home.
As they knew I was being driven into work as it was hard to drive a car at that time.
So I was given the sack and driven home all in a hour of getting to work. This was back in 92.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 05:14:59 PM »
It is unlawful in this country to sack someone while they are on sick leave: (this includes demoting people while they are on leave)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Protection against unlawful termination

It is unlawful for an employer to terminate an employee's employment on discriminatory grounds. This is called unlawful termination. Unlawful termination provisions apply to all employees in Australia. Employees who are excluded from making unfair dismissal claims are not excluded from making unlawful termination claims.

An employee can apply to the AIRC if they believe their employment was terminated for an unlawful reason, including:

* temporary absence from work because of illness or injury

http://www.workplaceauthority.gov.au/graphics.asp?showdoc=/WorkplaceRelations/terminationOfEmployment.asp

I don't think we've heard the last of this one yet...

They'll probably get away with it as her sacking was as a minister rather than as a polly. More a demotion being kicking out of the cabinet.