Author Topic: Trouble is brewing  (Read 57703 times)

Offline harry bosch

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Trouble is brewing
« Reply #405 on: November 28, 2004, 04:23:13 PM »
I may be mistaken but i am pretty sure i have read of Schwab taking some responsibility for the poor state of the club.

On the other hand i do not remember ever hearing Casey take any , if anyone has a quote of him taking responsibility please post it....

From the latest 'Fighting Tiger'

"Clearly, mistakes were made, but having made them, we at least knew how to avoid a repeat of them." Clinton Casey.

either i am being overly harsh or you are being overly generous but i don't see that as genuinely taking responsibility..

Offline harry bosch

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #406 on: November 28, 2004, 04:27:45 PM »
With a non senate style election now is there any reason why we can't have the best of both worlds
and have a board without casey schwab and welsh???

despite what some people see i fail to see what casey has done to improve things and he simply has to go likewise
even though i am not nearly as down on schwab as other people here my preference would be to have a board without him..

Do people think the current board minus casey and with extra numbers made up of the best of the alternative/independants couldn't work??

Offline harry bosch

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #407 on: November 28, 2004, 04:36:33 PM »
Interestingly on tiger-talk David Clayton said at a luncheon today Clinton said there
are already 35 candicates for the election..

theres going to be a lot of reading to do in a few weeks!!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #408 on: November 28, 2004, 05:50:36 PM »
With a non senate style election now is there any reason why we can't have the best of both worlds
and have a board without casey schwab and welsh???

As we'll be voting for the "best" 9 individuals then there's nothing stop us having a board without Casey, Schwab and Welsh apart from the members' voting otherwise. People might throw Gary Cameron in that group as well as he is our treasurer. It wouldn't surprise me if a number of members feel that same way HB.

Do people think the current board minus casey and with extra numbers made up of the best of the alternative/independants couldn't work??

If the new board whoever they are act in the Club's best interests then IMO they all should be able to work together. The hard decisions have been made and the new direction developed over the past few months just needs to be allowed time and patience now to come to fruition. However, if these people are more concerned with appeasing egos, factional interests and outspoken minority groups and as a result interfere in what Wright, Miller and Wallace are doing then it won't and IMO that is the real threat out of all of this to finally achieving on-field success.

Interestingly on tiger-talk David Clayton said at a luncheon today Clinton said there
are already 35 candicates for the election..

theres going to be a lot of reading to do in a few weeks!!

I read that too HB...Sheesh!  :gobdrop.

I'd guess on the bright side we'll be spoiled for choice  :-\.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2004, 05:56:50 PM by mightytiges »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #409 on: November 28, 2004, 06:10:19 PM »
What's happening at your club
28 November 2004   
Sunday Herald Sun

TIGERS president Clinton Casey is spending the weekend in Torquay working on the draft of his re-election manifesto.

All candidates for the December 20 election need to have nominated by Tuesday, then must submit a one-page dossier on their worth to the club.

The flyers will be distributed with voting forms before the election, when members will choose between Casey's incumbents of [sic -> or] the Brendan Schwab-organised team.

----------------------

Nice spot Torquay  :thumbsup

It isn't a choice b/w Casey and Schwab's tickets as it isn't a senate style election.

Offline bg25

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #410 on: November 28, 2004, 06:20:29 PM »
I may be mistaken but i am pretty sure i have read of Schwab taking some responsibility for the poor state of the club.

On the other hand i do not remember ever hearing Casey take any , if anyone has a quote of him taking responsibility please post it....

From the latest 'Fighting Tiger'

"Clearly, mistakes were made, but having made them, we at least knew how to avoid a repeat of them." Clinton Casey.

either i am being overly harsh or you are being overly generous but i don't see that as genuinely taking responsibility..

Who knows what is genuine or not HB. You only said "...do not remember ever hearing Casey take any..." This as opposed to "...i am pretty sure i have read of Schwab taking some responsibility..." Perhaps a quote would be nice :-*

Offline harry bosch

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #411 on: November 28, 2004, 06:32:50 PM »
i'm working on that , think it might even hidden in this thread somewhere...
I'll try and see if it exists over the next few days , providing i don't get lost in this thread...

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #412 on: November 29, 2004, 10:23:54 AM »
Schwab and Macek can get every player who has ever played in a Richmond premiership to back them, but it still won’t be enough to make me vote for them.  Like others, I wish they’d tell us why these former players are coming out in support of them, because I don’t get it.  Where have they shown that they have any idea how to run a footy club?  That’s what I’d like to know.

The Alternative group doesn't seem to have a clue about any of the real issues.  And if they suddenly do now, they have simply left their run too late.  Their reactive and conservative approach to all things doesn't inspire me one bit.  And their lack of awareness and initiative even less.   What an insult to people’s intelligence these people continue to be.  Especially when their idea of getting support is to take pot shots at Casey and tear at the heart strings of supporters by getting former players to go in to bat for them.  What about giving us some indication that they might know something about running a footy club.

Not much, if anything, of the Alternative group's stance adds up to me.  Whichever way I look at it, everything seems to point to a personal grudge against Casey.  For reasons I don't know or understand.  The fact that the appointment of Miller means the real and deep seated issues that have held this Club back for years can now finally become a thing of the past, with some hard work to follow, seems to have escaped this group completely.  And, because of that, what this group’s all about completely escapes me.

No doubt, Casey’s made mistakes, but others must know something I don't, because I don't understand the attack on Casey.  Whatever people think of him, it seems to me that he has been the catalyst for any changes that are taking place now.  Changes that I, and no doubt many others, have been hoping to see for some years.  And I for one am ecstatic about those changes, because these weren't changes that could be made by simply appointing a new coach.  And aren't changes that any previous Board had the initiative or stomach to instigate.

How about people like Schwab and Welsh taking some responsibility.  If the President is voted in by the other Directors, where's the responsibility from these Directors for voting in the wrong person - more than once?  And just because they don't like the decision they have made, why is RFC and its supporters being made to pay with a long and drawn out campaign that feels like it’s never going to end?  You people stuffed up, now get on with it and stop wasting our time.  After nearly a whole year of this garbage, this comes across as nothing more than little boys with their noses out of joint.

It seems that if we want to know how they would run RFC, we just have to rewind to the future.  Because they seem to lack the same awareness and initiative that previous Boards did.  No doubt, when things ultimately got a bit sticky, their idea of taking action and solving things would be to get a new coach.  Why not?  This master stroke could always renew the enthusiasm of everyone and make it look as though they knew what they were doing and were men of action.  Never mind if they created an unaccountable environment within the Club and stifled the development of our players, because of their short-sighted, quick fix approach.  As long as the finances were all in order, that's all that really matters, isn't it?

That might be enough for them, but it's not for me and, judging by the way they have run their campaign and the focus of that campaign, their idea of running a footy club clearly lacks any sort of vision and the awareness of what the real problems are and have been at RFC.  The only vision I get is of them taking us back to the good old 1990's when we had money in the bank, but weren't competitive against the top teams.  Back then, that didn't seem enough to stir any emotion in those on the Board.  No, they seemed united that things were AOK in the RFC comfort zone that they helped create and/or perpetuate.  And nor does our on-field performance seem to stir anything in the Alternative group now.  But, for some reason, our finances do.  I guess that's all they have to undermine Casey with.

How does their campaign even get to stand up?  The AFL has checked things and they don't have a problem with the Club's plans for the future.  And if RFC had done anything under-handed, wouldn't we have been raked over the coals by the AFL or someone by now?  Wasn't Eddie President of his Club when they finished at the bottom of the ladder and made a huge loss?  Who cares now?  They're making loads of money, but they still don't have a premiership to show for it.  The Kangaroos made no money, yet won two flags in the 1990's.

And unless it was to pay inflated prices to under-performing footballers, previous Richmond Boards wouldn't have spent more money on the footy department than was necessary, so is it any wonder we had money.  Yes, we're all concerned about RFC and its finances, but there's more to this than just money, isn't there?  Otherwise, I might as well just go barrack for the Commonwealth Bank.  They even have our colours and I could get really excited about the profits they make every year, if I tried.  And it'd save on a whole lot of unnecessary misery and grief, I suppose.

If there are over 35 candidates who have already nominated, then we can bypass those of the past and bring in those that come with no baggage.  Even if it takes a week and a half just to get through reading all the candidates’ papers, it’ll be worth it not to have to deal with small minds such as those on the alternative ticket.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2004, 05:43:25 PM by Tiger Spirit »
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #413 on: November 29, 2004, 01:01:03 PM »
Sensational post TS  :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow

Top stuff :thumbsup :bow :thumbsup :bow

:cheers

How about people like Schwab and Welsh taking some responsibility. If the President is voted in by the other Directors, where's the responsibility from these Directors for voting in the wrong person - more than once? And just because they don't like the decision they have made, why is RFC and its supporters being made to pay with a long and drawn out campaign that feels like it’s never going to end? You people stuffed up, now get on with it and stop wasting our time. After nearly a whole year of this garbage, this comes across as nothing more than little boys with their noses out of joint.

This has been my biggest problem with this alternative since the beginning. Responsibility - they haven't and will not take any, they just continually point fingers and apportion blame.

I have harped on this so many times that I am sick of it but hey - if it's good enough for the alternative I suppose it is good enough for me.

If there are 35 candidates who have nominated for the right reasons and not to serve their own egos then it's great because finally it would appear that maybe just maybe people have been snapped out of their apathy towards the RFC baordroom. 

« Last Edit: November 29, 2004, 01:02:37 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline bg25

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #414 on: November 29, 2004, 02:21:58 PM »
Sensational post TS  :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow

Top stuff :thumbsup :bow :thumbsup :bow

:cheers

What he said  :bow

Life goes on

« Reply #415 on: November 29, 2004, 02:56:59 PM »
 :bow
I dont have to say anything

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #416 on: November 29, 2004, 04:12:18 PM »
Top post TS  :bow

Yes, we're all concerned about RFC and its finances, but there's more to this than just money, isn't there?  Otherwise, I might as well just go barrack for the Commonwealth Bank.  They even have our colours and I could get really excited about the profits they make every year, if I tried.  And it'd save on a whole lot of unnecessary misery and grief, I suppose.

LOL

More like the NAB this year ;D

----------------

Billy Barrot and Francis Bourke were on SEN this morning with KB.

KB asked Barrot had he made up his mind on who to support yet and he answered "well I don't want to answer that but let's put it this way..." then when on to cane Casey which made it crystal clear which side he supports. Francis was more diplomatic and said although Casey had always been amicable with him personally, he believed after 5 years it was time for a change. Francis supported the alternative because he basically has alot time for Macek, Schwab was a passionate Richmond person who had made a stand with Welsh, and that he knew Humphris from his time on the board with him in the late 80s around the S.O.S period. Francis said he had made his decision independently after being asked for his support by the alternative ticket.

Both referred to Leon Daphne and how Casey inherited a profitable Club from Daphne. Billy claimed we were now $3m in debt (would be interesting to find out where he pulled this figure from ???).

Apparently there will be 8 former players putting their name down in support of the alternative in the next few days - Barrot, Bourke, Clay, Brendon Gale, Broderick, Hart?, ....

KB had Keane and Rex supporting Casey. 

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #417 on: November 29, 2004, 05:08:03 PM »
 :thumbsup thanks guys and gals.

This group is all about democracy, even though they wanted the Club handed over to them, initially.

And they're all about unity, even though they currently seem to be splitting the Club into a million pieces.  Makes sense to me.  NOT.  :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline bg25

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #418 on: November 29, 2004, 05:20:31 PM »
MT, did Bourke actually give any reasons for supporting the alternative other than it's time for a change and that he got on better with them than Casey?

Schwab and Welsh made a stand did they???? They didn't tell anyone about it at the time :banghead

Bourke's right Humphris was around in the SOS times...think he might have been treasurer. What did SOS stand for again...oh that's right 'Save Our Skin"....so who's going to manage the finances this time around? Not a good track record when you consider all we here from this group is how Casey (personally I might add) has lost the RFC all this money :banghead

Casey has been around for 5 years...so were half these others. We've hardly set the world on fire with all our premierships over the last 25 years lol. Unlike other clubs we haven't gone to the AFL for money and they have agreed to our business plan. Are the new group going back to the AFL with a new one?

Caro had us losing all our sponsorships as well...didn't happen. The doom and gloom merchants have so far not been that accurate.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #419 on: November 29, 2004, 06:16:05 PM »
MT, did Bourke actually give any reasons for supporting the alternative other than it's time for a change and that he got on better with them than Casey?

Basically that we've been poor on and off-field and after 5 years under the one regime it's time to give someone else a go.

I find it amusing that Welsh escapes any criticism or blame for our poor on-field results despite him being 5 years on the board as football director (in tandem with TJ) with the job of assessing the performance of the footy department.