Author Topic: 2008 Jack Dyer Medal - Congratulations Brett Deledio  (Read 5746 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: 2008 Jack Dyer Medal - Congratulations Brett Deledio
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2008, 11:10:50 PM »
bg25 said the rest of the top 10 was:

8. McMahon   
9. Brown 
10. Johnson 

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2008, 11:14:53 PM »
Some pics from tonight's B&F:

Richo and Disco

Plough

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2008, 11:30:21 PM »
Great stuff Lids  :clapping. Well deserved and the first of hopefully many  :thumbsup.

Geez Tucky did come home like a train. Over 100 votes in the last 7 rounds  :o.

Great effort by Kel to finish top 5 after his career was in the balance 12 months ago.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 04:42:51 AM by mightytiges »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2008, 11:40:00 PM »
Lids is the youngest B&F winner since Knighter in 1990

1. Brett Deledio           250
2. Shane Tuck              223
3. Matthew Richardson 203
4. Chris Newman         196
5. Kelvin Moore            186
6. Troy Simmonds         184
7. Nathan Foley            182
8. Jordan McMahon       162
9. Nathan Brown           161
10. Kane Johnson          155

Ox

« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2008, 11:47:33 PM »
Proof that Tuck,if more extravagant,could be AA,even if named on the Bench.

Congratulations Shane Tuck  :thumbsup  :clapping

Special mention to Kel Moore  :thumbsup

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2008, 11:59:06 PM »
Geez Tucky did come home like a train. Over 100 votes in the last 4 rounds  :o.
Not possible, you can only score a max of 25 per round
Funny thing is that this is Tuck's 3rd Top 3 in the B&F in the 4 full seasons he's played under Wallace, not sure why this years performance is such a surprise

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2008, 04:49:29 AM »
Geez Tucky did come home like a train. Over 100 votes in the last 4 rounds  :o.
Not possible, you can only score a max of 25 per round
Funny thing is that this is Tuck's 3rd Top 3 in the B&F in the 4 full seasons he's played under Wallace, not sure why this years performance is such a surprise
Doh!  :-[ I meant last 7 rounds. Edited.

I think Tucky's still a surprise to some people because last year he was carrying an injury despite finishing 3rd in the B&F and the early part of this year Tuck's form had dropped away significantly. Some people had him going at the end of year about a 1/3 away through the season before he dramatically turned it around.

Interestingly Joel didn't make the top 10.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 05:07:45 AM by one-eyed »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Deledio claims first Jack Dyer Medal (RFC)
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2008, 05:06:17 AM »
Deledio claims first Jack Dyer Medal
richmondfc.com.au
11:02 PM Wed 17 September, 2008

BRETT Deledio has won Richmond’s best and fairest award, the 2008 Jack Dyer Medal, in an exciting count at Crown's Palladium Ballroom on Wednesday night.

Deledio, 21, polled 250 votes to become the youngest winner since a 20-year-old Matthew Knights triumphed in 1990.

He held off midfielder Shane Tuck (223), with last year's victor Matthew Richardson in third place on 203 votes.

Richardson, 33, had an impressive campaign mostly from a wing, led the club's goalkicking with 48, collected 29 possessions and 21 marks in an upset of Hawthorn in round 20 and earned All-Australian honours for the first time since 1999.

He narrowly led the count from Deledio at the halfway mark, with Tuck a distant 15th at that stage.

Vice-captain Chris Newman finished fourth on 196 votes, while Kelvin Moore (186) highlighted his continued development as a key defender.

The No. 1 selection in the 2004 National AFL Draft, Deledio played all 22 home and away games in 2008 and had 25 disposals or more on 10 occasions – with a season-high of 32 against the Sydney Swans at the SCG in round 10.

He averaged better than 24 disposals and seven marks per game and led the Tigers for inside 50s (91) and goal assists (19). He also kicked 28 goals – fourth overall for the season.

For Tuck, it was his third top-three finish in four full seasons at Richmond after third place in 2005 and again last year.

The 26-year-old led the disposal count with 547, an average of almost 25, and also had a club-high 84 tackles.

Tuck hasn’t missed a game since Terry Wallace took over as coach.

Richmond's system for awarding the Jack Dyer Medal has five members of the club's match committee cast votes for every round's 22 players.

Each player receives zero to five votes from each coach, so the most an individual player can receive in any round is 25 votes.

Five votes are awarded for an outstanding performance, four for an excellent game, down to zero if the player is beaten on the day.

In other awards, Trent Cotchin was named the best first year player, Matt White the most improved player and Newman received the Francis Bourke Award as best clubman.

Richmond finished ninth after the 22 home and away rounds with 11 wins, 10 losses and a draw – two premiership points and percentage shy of eighth-placed Collingwood.

1st Brett Deledio          250
2nd Shane Tuck            223
3rd Matthew Richardson 203
4th Chris Newman         196
5th Kelvin Moore           186
6th Troy Simmonds       184
7th Nathan Foley          182
8th Jordan McMahon     162
9th Nathan Brown        161
10th Kane Johnson      155

Most Improved Player: Matt White

Best First Year Player: Trent Cotchin

Best Emerging Talent at Coburg: Alex Rance

Michael Roach Leading Goalkicker: Matthew Richardson - 48 goals

Match Committee Award: Luke McGuane

Francis Bourke Award
Winner - Chris Newman - 444 votes
2nd - Brett Deledio - 435 votes
3rd - Shane Tuck - 426 votes

Most Valuable Person: Gordon Casey

Tattersalls Community Player of the Year: Richard Tambling

Tattersalls Volunteer of the Year: Sally Dunn

http://afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=67829

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richo misses out as Deledio justifies draft selection (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2008, 05:11:28 AM »
Richo misses out as Deledio justifies draft selection
Michael Horan | September 18, 2008

DYNAMIC Richmond midfielder Brett Deledio has upset sentimental favourite Matthew Richardson to win the 2008 Jack Dyer Medal.

Deledio, 21, the No. 1 pick in the 2004 draft, polled 250 votes to stave off a barnstorming Shane Tuck by 27 votes, with Richardson (203) in third place in an exciting best-and-fairest count at the Crown Palladium ballroom last night.

"You can't win this award without your teammates out there winning the ball for you," Deledio said last night.

"And thanks to my dad for sitting me down and telling me some home truths after my Round 1 shocker. He's the reason I'm up here now."

Tiger vice-captain Chris Newman was fourth on 196 votes, while defender Kelvin Moore (186) finished fifth.

Richardson was in front at the halfway mark, narrowly ahead of Deledio, with Tuck in a distant 15th place.

Deledio, 21, is the youngest Jack Dyer medallist since Matthew Knights won in 1990 at the age of 20.

Deledio played 22 home-and-away games, had 25 disposals or more 10 times and averaged 24.4 disposals and seven marks a game, while ranking No. 1 at the club for inside-50s (91) and goal assists (19).

He also kicked 28 goals.

It was Tuck's third top-three placing in four full seasons at Richmond. He finished third in 2005 and 2007.

Tuck was ranked No. 1 in disposals at the club with 547, at an average of 24.9 a game, and No. 1 for tackles with 84. He had 25 disposals or more on eight occasions, with a season-high 36 against Hawthorn at the MCG in the Tigers' impressive Round 20 victory.

Tuck had 63 inside-50 entries for the season and was ranked fifth in the competition for handballs.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24363888-19742,00.html

bushranger

« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2008, 07:43:53 AM »
All I can say is that I'm glad I don't have to pick them. I was miles off with my selections. So well doner to the winner's. Some of them i got but not all and not in that order. It has too be a hard job. :gotigers

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2008, 07:56:31 AM »
Great night, great result

Great to see Graham Polak at the B&F looking great  :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Home truths inspire Deledio to glory
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2008, 03:12:47 PM »
Snippet from Sportal

Home truths inspire Deledio to glory
18/09/2008 9:07 AM
Paul Gough
Sportal

"Dad told me a few home truths after round one and that is the main reason why I am standing up here," Deledio said.

"We just had a bit of a chat, I don't want to disclose too much but basically he just said I need to work on a few things and the way I go about it."

"From day one my Dad has taught me all I know about football and I can't thank him enough and I love him to bits for how he has gone about it."

"I was pretty emotional when it first came about, I might have shed a couple of tears but it is starting to sink in a bit now," he said.

"You look at Matthew Richardson, he is an absolute star, and Joel won it back-to-back and then Kane Johnson and Mark Coughlan and to be put in the same category with those guys - I'm very humbled."

"We have got to make finals next year for starters but you can always get better individually and kick more goals and lay more tackles and that is the next aim."

Full article at:
http://sportal.com.au/afl-news-display/dad-inspired-deledio-56962

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2008, 03:14:46 PM »
Lids' has a video interview on the AFL site (Stats City)

http://bigpondvideo.com/AFLTV/78162

Lids' dad after round 1 told him to

* Hunt the ball
* Go for your marks
* Play with a bit of flair

He reads these three tips before every game now.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Delighted Deledio's finals wish (RFC)
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2008, 07:22:47 PM »
Delighted Deledio's finals wish
richmondfc.com.au
By Jason Phelan
 5:00 PM Thu 18 September, 2008

BRETT Deledio has spoken of his delight at joining the elite group of players to have won the Jack Dyer Medal.

Deledio, 21, took the Tigers award ahead of Shane Tuck and last year's winner Matthew Richardson to join club legends such as Kevin Bartlett, Royce Hart and Kevin Sheedy as a best and fairest winner.

"To win the award is a huge honour, especially when you consider the list of people that have won it in the past," Deledio said from the club's headquarters at Punt Road on Thursday.

"It's nice to be recognised by the people who give you jobs week in, week out.

"It's something you only dream about when you're younger. I guess it was a breakout year for me. I needed to get a lot fitter and push into the midfield and I'm still learning how to do that properly. I can always get fitter, kick more goals and lay more tackles.

"I guess the next thing for us is to have some finals success. which would be nice."

Deledio credits the most influential figure in his life, his father, for helping him get back on track after a disappointing start to the season against Carlton in round one.

"We sat down and had a bit of a chat about a few different things that he thought I could to do better out there to make my game a lot better, and also probably getting a hair cut was along those lines as well," he said.

"I think I put down my good form to getting a hair cut and listening to what he told me.

"He's been [influential] since the word go – ever since I played my first game. Stuff like drawing lines on the footy field to show me where I should be running, that sort of thing; I can't thank him enough for what he's done for me."

Deledio feels the elusive finals success that he and his teammates crave isn't far away, with the experience gained by some of the club's youngsters in 2008 a key.

"If we get some more experience into those guys – they can all definitely play football – who knows what the future can hold?" he said, adding he found it difficult to watch the September action from the sidelines.

"It's just disappointing when the weather's so good and you're not out there playing. It would just be nice to have a little taste. We get to play in front of big crowds every now and then, but it's not finals football and that's something to look forward to."

To view Brett Deledio's media conference, click here

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsid=67876

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2008, 09:50:24 PM »
make him captain RFC.

Grow some balls, bite the bullet and make it happen.

newy who??
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.