Author Topic: Collard promotion to 2009 senior list  (Read 2640 times)

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Collard promotion to 2009 senior list
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2008, 02:51:23 PM »
!Dont know if this is true! Heard along the grapevine that other clubs were looking at him but not sure how system works after finding out that it is a 2year rookie contract can other clubs still take him.If so this might have promped the club to elevate him i know he will star at top level if get fittness right.
It's up to the player, he can simply accept to stay on the rookie list for a 2nd year, or he can leave and enter himself back in the draft for another club to pick him up.
After we've given him a chance to turn his career around I'd be shocked if he were to do that.

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2008, 03:36:51 PM »
!Dont know if this is true! Heard along the grapevine that other clubs were looking at him but not sure how system works after finding out that it is a 2year rookie contract can other clubs still take him.If so this might have promped the club to elevate him i know he will star at top level if get fittness right.
It's up to the player, he can simply accept to stay on the rookie list for a 2nd year, or he can leave and enter himself back in the draft for another club to pick him up.
After we've given him a chance to turn his career around I'd be shocked if he were to do that.

rubbish

its not up to the player at all

he is contracted as a rookie ( dependant on age ) for 2 yrs minimum

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2008, 05:05:03 PM »

rubbish

Try getting your facts right before you call what I said rubbish

Rookies only get 1 year deals, not 2 like the National Draft, that's the whole point and why clubs will take more speculative types because they aren't stuck with them for a forced 2 years.

They are only allowed to only be on your rookie list for 2 years, if you want to keep them for a 3rd year you need to delist them and let them go through both the National Draft & PSD, if they haven't been taken then the club can nominate to select them back as a rookie using their last pick in the rookie draft.

Offline TFL

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2008, 07:19:03 PM »
I believe that Collard was still being paid by Freo this season, last year was his first year there and he would have been given a two year deal.

There may be pressure for him to be put on the list so he will stay, possibly due to financial reasons.

I still think he has a long way to go before he makes AFL. Commitment and work ethic especially on the training side of things appear to me to be his major area in need of improvement.

He certainly has extremely good skills and awareness etc. Some of the things he does are Gary Ablett like.

Would be a huge addition to the team if takes the opportunity given to him.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2008, 07:33:21 PM »
More bags from Collard in the VFL finals will make the decision easy for the Club. Other clubs would be sniffing for young talent before the new teams come in and hijack all the top draft picks.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2008, 07:44:59 PM »
So I'm a tad confused now - can Collard elect for the National Draft this year or be poached by another club to be played on their rookie or main list or not? ???

Stripes

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2008, 07:56:12 PM »

rubbish

Try getting your facts right before you call what I said rubbish

Rookies only get 1 year deals, not 2 like the National Draft, that's the whole point and why clubs will take more speculative types because they aren't stuck with them for a forced 2 years.

They are only allowed to only be on your rookie list for 2 years, if you want to keep them for a 3rd year you need to delist them and let them go through both the National Draft & PSD, if they haven't been taken then the club can nominate to select them back as a rookie using their last pick in the rookie draft.

rookies get one year minimum, unless they are forced to move interstate, as in collards case, in that case all rookied players who move interstate get a 2 yr deal. Hence collard has a two year deal. Just like I said earlier,hence the lack of a need to upgrade him, as he has to stay on the rookie list anyway

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2008, 08:23:55 PM »
rookies get one year minimum, unless they are forced to move interstate, as in collards case, in that case all rookied players who move interstate get a 2 yr deal.
Fair point, although I'm not sure how his existing contract with Freo affects all that. Possibly not at all.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2008, 11:57:03 PM »
Are you 100% sure blaisee?

According to the AFL Player Rules International rookies get 2 year contracts. All other Rookies get 1 year. Rookie that come from interstate have their relocation expenses covered by the club. It does say a mimimum of 1 year so perhaps rookies can have 2 year contract if both player and club agree.

21.2.3 Contract of Service

(a) Where a Club includes a Player on its Rookie List, it shall:-
       (i) in the case of an International Player, enter into a Contract of Service for a minimum of 2 AFL Football
Seasons; or
       (ii) in the case any other Player, enter into a Contract of Service for a minimum of 1 AFL Football Season.

(b) Any Contract of Service between a Club and a Rookie Player must specify that such contract will expire or terminate on 31 October of the relevant year.

21.4 Retention of Rookie List Players

(a) A Club may retain a Player on its Rookie List for a second season provided it nominates such Player or Players prior to advising the AFL of its Primary List under Rule 4.1.1 and such Player consents to being nominated on the Rookie List for a second season.

(b) A Club may retain a Player on its Rookie List for a third season provided that the Player has nominated himself for and was not selected at the National Draft Selection Meeting prior to the Rookie Draft Selection Meeting and prior to the Pre-Season Draft Selection Meeting the Club provides the AFL with written evidence of the Club’s and Player’s agreement to be retained as a Rookie for a third season which agreement must specify that the Player can and only
will be retained as a Rookie for a third season if he is not selected by any Club at the Pre-Season Draft Selection Meeting.

(c) A Club may retain a Player included on a Club’s Rookie List under Rule 21.3.4(a)(i) and (ii) for a third season provided it nominates such Player prior to advising the AFL of its Primary List under Rule 4.1.1 and such Player consents to being nominated on the Rookie List for a third season.

21.7 Relocation of Player

21.7.1 Relocate Benefits
Where a Club includes a Player on its Rookie List and the Player is required to relocate, the Club shall pay relocation benefits as set out in the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

21.7.2 Re-location Expenses
(a) If a Rookie Player relocates as a result of his inclusion on a Club’s Rookie List but he is subsequently not included onto the Club’s Primary List before or at the end of his Contract of Service, then subject to Rule 21.7.2(b), the Club shall, if requested within two months of the end of his Contract of Service, pay the Rookie Player’s reasonable expenses in relocating the Player back to where he lived immediately before his inclusion on the Club’s Rookie List.

(b) A Club is not obliged to pay the relocation expenses under Rule 21.7.2(a) if the Player is included on the Primary List or Rookie List of another Club, regardless of where that other Club is located.

http://aflpa.com.au/sites/all/files/AFL%20Player%20Rules_2008.pdf
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline wilba

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2008, 11:36:30 AM »
thanks for all that info guys really helpful :thumbsup

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2008, 06:39:18 PM »
Today was probably the first time a few of us who don't see Coburg games have seen Collard play. Thoughts?

Offline GOOHUC

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2008, 07:32:07 PM »
Today was probably the first time a few of us who don't see Coburg games have seen Collard play. Thoughts?

Still has massive question marks over his fitness and dedication IMO.  When the game was in the balance, he 'pretended' to chase, giving up far to easily.  If I were a coburg listed player, I would be very dirty on his defensive efforts today.

In saying all that, I love his skills and composure - just wish he will/could apply himself 100%....I would have no doubts that he could become anything if he could get that aspect of his game right...time will tell.