Author Topic: Is 2011 a fair judgement on the list?  (Read 3762 times)

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Is 2011 a fair judgement on the list?
« on: September 10, 2008, 10:43:45 AM »
TW infamously stated that given the age of our developing list that we should not realistically expect to have any glimar of success (I'm reading finals here) before 2009 and would start our 'sustained era of success' (which I take us consistent finals action and attempts on the flag) until 2011.

Given our performance this year and the state of our list is this a realistic judgement?

Are we missing something?

Are we ahead of schedule?

Are we kidding ourselves compared to other past and currently developing lists?

Stripes

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
Re: Is 2011 a fair judgement on the list?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 10:54:15 AM »
Yes, it is a fair judgement on our list. In fact, as MT has stated on numerous occasions, 2013-14 is a fairer judgement on our list, because while we might pinch a finals series while most of Bowden, Richo, Simmo and Brown are still playing, the current gap with our 23-27 year olds stops us from speculating on a flag for 2011. We can't really make a judgement on Wallace's era until the current crop of youngsters hit their peak in their mid 20's which is still a few years away yet.

Again, Frawley  :banghead
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 11:38:56 AM »
At the start of 2011 Deledio would be on 120+ games and Tambling and Foley over 100 games

Moore, Thursfield and McGuane will be around 70/80. Riewoldt, Edwards, White will be just behind them

Cotchin, Morton and Connors would be around 50/60

So in 2011 we have the base of experience

Then looking at MT's 2013-14 and adding 70 games to each of the above this is the more realistic "window"

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 12:33:11 PM »
TW infamously stated that given the age of our developing list that we should not realistically expect to have any glimar of success (I'm reading finals here) before 2009 and would start our 'sustained era of success' (which I take us consistent finals action and attempts on the flag) until 2011.
The 2011 comment was never directly linked to success, he was pointing out that 2011 will be when we've moved on our older players and our list will be balanced with an even spread of players of all ages.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 01:24:03 PM »
Given Collingwoods current side with all the young and inexperience yet finals success is age as bigger factor as we would like to believe?

At the moment their are glaring omissions on our list ie Ruck depth, Tall forwards. We have potential key forwards but no one who could definately fill the role. Our midfield and backline look stronger and potentially more viable but are this is far from garrenteed.

The age bracket indicator definately has merit when comparing other grandfinalist team lists from previous years and breaking down their list. The question though we should be asking is whether the young list we have moving through has what it takes to be successful when it reaches that magical age bracket.

Do we have the cattle all over the ground and why is it other clubs such as Collingwood can succeed with so many young inexperienced players yet we are still developing?

Stripes

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 02:55:54 PM »
Collingwood didn't get into the finals with the side they had last Saturday. They fielded a much more experienced side for most of the year which included Burns Heath Shaw Johnson Didak O'Bree. And they only finished up half a game in front of us.

Collingwood are as far away from winning this years premiership as we are

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 06:53:12 PM »
Yes, it is a fair judgement on our list. In fact, as MT has stated on numerous occasions, 2013-14 is a fairer judgement on our list, because while we might pinch a finals series while most of Bowden, Richo, Simmo and Brown are still playing, the current gap with our 23-27 year olds stops us from speculating on a flag for 2011. We can't really make a judgement on Wallace's era until the current crop of youngsters hit their peak in their mid 20's which is still a few years away yet.
Saved me from typing that all out DC  :thumbsup.

The 2011 comment is all about having by then a new strong core with the necessary game experience that has come through together as Gracie has illustrated. By then we should have sorted out who will and won't make it from our current large U23 crop.

As Ramps has said in the past you really need two waves. One to build the core and the another to finish off the job of developing a strong list with depth and no age gaps. 2004 was the second wave for Hawthorn as they already had a young group coming through but it was the first wave for us. By the start of 2011 we should have another two mostly untampered drafts worth of kids to add to our current list plus another draft's worth which really starts in the second round for existing clubs unless you finish bottom 4. The recruiters still need to do their part.

We could dip down for a year or two around 2011 after the oldies retire within the next 2 years so even if Wallace survives next year that could cost him his job in the end.

We are probably on schedule (barring no career ending injuries to our best cubs - touchwood) but there's still a long way to go. We'll only jump ahead of schedule if more existing cubs have breakout years sooner than expected and a number of the kids in the upcoming drafts are quick developers/ready-made freaks like Cotch. Otherwise it's a 2013-14 timeline.

As for the Pies - 1 flag in 50 years. What's the (on-field) point of making finals only to just make up the numbers. They also only had to play 4 of the eventual finalists in the first 12 rounds (of which 10 were at the 'G) and came home with a average 5-6 record. Nice draw if you can get it when you can add only travelling 4 times.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 10:33:35 PM »
I don't buy the whole two waves - bottoming out again theory. I think we have had at least 'two waves' 2004 and 2007. I believe we now have our core group and just need to fill the gaps and continue to create depth.

2011 seems right on the money at the moment for the beginning stages of our sustained era of success and 2009 our first glimpse.

I agree Collingwood is further away than we are. I think they will actually slide next year but they do seem to know how to develop players and win the big games.

Stripes

Ramps

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 10:41:26 PM »
I don't buy the whole two waves - bottoming out again theory. I think we have had at least 'two waves' 2004 and 2007. I believe we now have our core group and just need to fill the gaps and continue to create depth.

2011 seems right on the money at the moment for the beginning stages of our sustained era of success and 2009 our first glimpse.

I agree Collingwood is further away than we are. I think they will actually slide next year but they do seem to know how to develop players and win the big games.

Stripes

Theoretically we should have completed the 2 waves stripes, but some players havent come on, some others havent been seen, for example, the JON, Hughes, Casserley draft is now looking light, Tambling isnt performing as a top 4 pick and Polo and Pattison are JUST players, Meyer has suffered injuries, We got Polak and sadly it looks like that he wont play again... so mistakes happen, injuries happen so that means we need to go to the draft again and get some more kids, we have glaring deficiencies, we lack a big ruck, we need a big key forward and a couple of in and under midfielders with a bit of size and pace wouldnt go astray. Just to throw one out there ... should Craig Cameron put Nathan Browns name on the table and see what comes out the other side, what would say a Sydney give for Nathan Brown?

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008, 10:51:10 PM »

Stripes

Theoretically we should have completed the 2 waves stripes, but some players havent come on, some others havent been seen, for example, the JON, Hughes, Casserley draft is now looking light, Tambling isnt performing as a top 4 pick and Polo and Pattison are JUST players, Meyer has suffered injuries, We got Polak and sadly it looks like that he wont play again... so mistakes happen, injuries happen so that means we need to go to the draft again and get some more kids, we have glaring deficiencies, we lack a big ruck, we need a big key forward and a couple of in and under midfielders with a bit of size and pace wouldnt go astray. Just to throw one out there ... should Craig Cameron put Nathan Browns name on the table and see what comes out the other side, what would say a Sydney give for Nathan Brown?

now there's a thought no one has brought up.

Nathan Brown. i think we dont need him really.

for those of you that crap on about our players getting x amount of games. how many youngsters do the pies have playing for them.

does anyone know?? id say there list is younger than ours and look where they sit and look where we sit.

better coach
better facilities
better development.

thats all there is to it
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008, 11:23:35 PM »
True Daniel about the Pies but the Pies are a club that dangles the carrot in front of their supporters only to forever keep it out of their reach. Collingwood have and will always believe that they are "The Club" and that having the best faclities the most supporters plenty of cash a great ethos :lol and heritage and using that to get their will is enough to keep the nuff nuffs at the Lexus centre coming back. Hence their mediocrity. Collingwood don't focus on 1 flag in 50 years yet will openly laugh at 2 finals appearances in 26 years when it comes to us despite the fact we have won 5 in the same time frame.

Sure memberships facilities lots of cash and such are great but lets just focus on getting the list right and the rest will come.

Problem with comparing Collingwood youngsters to players of the same age bracket from other clubs is that due to Collingwood's exposure and the media fascination about them any kid who puts on a black and white jumper is a bona fide 300 game player so to speak and when a couple of these kids kick a few goals in a final make that 350 games based on the hype surrounding the Carringbush. Cast your minds back to last season at this time wasn't Rusling supposed to be the new John Coleman? Our young kids other than Cotchin who is a freak and rightly so, although they have shown improvement have not been labelled with the hype that the Pies kids have. If Shane Edwards played for Collingwood he would have been labelled the new Bobby Skilton. Is that the type of false and overrated description you want our kids to get unjustifiably as opposed to the Pies? We have woken up to too many false dawns. Hence comparing us to Collingwood is neither accurate nor fair based on the overestimation they put on themselves merely in a vain attempt to suck everyone in. Mediocrity at its best. We at least can win GF'S when we get there so the rebuild is the way to go.

I agree with the theory earlier mentioned with the idea of placing Brown on the trade table and seeing what he will attract. Would rather receive in return draft picks instead of players in order to try and make use of the draft whilst its still umcompromised and hopefully add more youth coming through especially a key forward to replace Richo in the upcoming years and possibly a couple more inside midfielders.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2008, 08:32:12 AM »
True Daniel about the Pies but the Pies are a club that dangles the carrot in front of their supporters only to forever keep it out of their reach. Collingwood have and will always believe that they are "The Club" and that having the best faclities the most supporters plenty of cash a great ethos :lol and heritage and using that to get their will is enough to keep the nuff nuffs at the Lexus centre coming back. Hence their mediocrity. Collingwood don't focus on 1 flag in 50 years yet will openly laugh at 2 finals appearances in 26 years when it comes to us despite the fact we have won 5 in the same time frame.

Sure memberships facilities lots of cash and such are great but lets just focus on getting the list right and the rest will come.

Problem with comparing Collingwood youngsters to players of the same age bracket from other clubs is that due to Collingwood's exposure and the media fascination about them any kid who puts on a black and white jumper is a bona fide 300 game player so to speak and when a couple of these kids kick a few goals in a final make that 350 games based on the hype surrounding the Carringbush. Cast your minds back to last season at this time wasn't Rusling supposed to be the new John Coleman? Our young kids other than Cotchin who is a freak and rightly so, although they have shown improvement have not been labelled with the hype that the Pies kids have. If Shane Edwards played for Collingwood he would have been labelled the new Bobby Skilton. Is that the type of false and overrated description you want our kids to get unjustifiably as opposed to the Pies? We have woken up to too many false dawns. Hence comparing us to Collingwood is neither accurate nor fair based on the overestimation they put on themselves merely in a vain attempt to suck everyone in. Mediocrity at its best. We at least can win GF'S when we get there so the rebuild is the way to go.

I agree with the theory earlier mentioned with the idea of placing Brown on the trade table and seeing what he will attract. Would rather receive in return draft picks instead of players in order to try and make use of the draft whilst its still umcompromised and hopefully add more youth coming through especially a key forward to replace Richo in the upcoming years and possibly a couple more inside midfielders.

you got to ask yourself
are we going to win a flag in the next 2 years- no

so Brown has bout 2-3 years max left so whats the point.

get rid of him. probably get a late first round or early second round.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008, 09:24:37 AM »
I think we can make a judgement by the end of 09 - Maybe strectchhhhh to 2010 - DAMN straight by 2011 -
Enough excuses and waiting  :banghead !

My opinion, will be very very surprised if we don't make the 8 next year - VERY.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 10:45:04 AM »
Ramps, the Brown theory is a sensible option. If we want to be brutal we should really do this with all our older players with the exception of Simmonds, who we can't replace currently, and maybe Richo. Brown, Bowden and Johnson will not be around in 2-3 years so we should be thinking about shoring up our list for the future now.

Stripes

Ramps

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2008, 11:46:32 AM »
Ramps, the Brown theory is a sensible option. If we want to be brutal we should really do this with all our older players with the exception of Simmonds, who we can't replace currently, and maybe Richo. Brown, Bowden and Johnson will not be around in 2-3 years so we should be thinking about shoring up our list for the future now.

Stripes

Stripes im no expert, I just come in here to give my opinion and thats it, in the end, it wont make one iota of difference, but If I had a say then Brown would be going up for trade and Johnson would have retired this year. Richo, Bowden and Simmonds will retire at Richmond. Brown is the only player of our senior group that is now tradeable. If we were a ruthless club we would do it and indeed Id suggest we need to do it- for all the reasons mentioned earlier ie. Age of Brown, where we are in the cycle, how far we are away from a proper tilt ... someone at Richmond needs to show some balls and make a hard decision.