Author Topic: Ryan O'Keefe wants out of the Swans  (Read 1949 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Ryan O'Keefe wants out of the Swans
« on: September 20, 2008, 02:48:11 AM »
O'Keefe could fly south next winter
Jessica Halloran and Michael Cowley | September 20, 2008

SYDNEY could lose one of their biggest stars, with the club still trying to secure the signature of forward Ryan O'Keefe and they face a tough battle against Melbourne clubs eager to lure him south.

The Herald understands the Swans have offered O'Keefe a four-year deal believed to be less than he would attract on the open market.

The out-of-contract Swan is keen to stay in Sydney but a number of Melbourne clubs are desperate for the talents of the All-Australian and premiership player.

O'Keefe has been in career-best form - he was again on the shortlist of 40 for All-Australian selection this year - and Victorian clubs expected to lead the chase for him include Carlton, Essendon, Richmond and Collingwood.

O'Keefe could not be contacted by the Herald yesterday but he does not have a manager and is negotiating his own contract.

The 27-year-old has strong ties to the southern state. A childhood Footscray supporter whose father played for the Bulldogs, he was clearly honoured to represent Victoria in the Hall of Fame match earlier this year.

In an interview in June, O'Keefe said he would prefer to see out his career at the Swans but would not rule out returning to Victoria.

"I love Sydney and I love being up here, but you never say never," O'Keefe said at the time.

Since re-signing with the club following the 2005 premiership success, O'Keefe has been one of Sydney's most consistent performers. He was runner-up in the best and fairest in 2006, fifth in 2007 and is expected to finish in the top five of the Swans' club champion poll again.

Swans coach Paul Roos this week officially flagged the club's interest in gaining a premier midfielder, mentioning West Coast's Daniel Kerr and Collingwood's Alan Didak as targets.

For either of their services, it is expected that the Swans might have to give up a first-round draft pick and trade at least one of their better players. O'Keefe is the type of player with sufficient market value to get the deal done.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/okeefe-could-fly-south-next-winter/2008/09/19/1221331206247.html?page=fullpage

Ramps

Re: Tigers expected to chase Swan Ryan O'Keefe (Age)
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 04:55:35 AM »
Good player, but we dont need 27yo HFF. Its a pass for me.

Offline TFL

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 07:36:49 AM »
Agree Ramps, god player but a little old for my liking

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 09:24:21 AM »
Gee I wish he was only 24 ...then I'd be saying we should chase him in a heartbeat

Absolute gun player - one of my favourites
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Ramps

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 11:01:27 AM »
The only big name I would enquire about is Tom Hawkins but Geelong wont let him go anyway (Id almost sell the farm (draft pick wise) to get him). To that end, we should just go to the draft and get some kids.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 03:32:01 PM »
Gun footballer. Would love to see him at Richmond.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Ryan O'Keefe wants out of the Swans
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 05:48:25 PM »
Just announced in Ch 10 news.

O'Keefe has told the Swans he wants to be traded and return to Melbourne and play with a Victorian club. Ch 10 said he's interested in playing with 3 clubs but they didn't say who. They spoke to Carlton and Collingwood and both said they'd be negligent not to look at O'Keefe.

He will turn 28 in January and is out of contract so the Swans bargaining power is limited even if they want a first round pick. Ch 10 reckons he wants to go to a club that will be in the hunt for a premiership within the next 2-4 years.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Ryan O'Keefe wants out of the Swans
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 06:54:25 PM »
Good player but too old for us and would cost too much. He wouldn't feel a need either as our deficiencies are in the ruck, KP forward and more midfield ballwinners.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 07:19:47 PM »
How I wish he was only 24 going on 25 :'(

Absolute gun player...one of my favourites in the comp
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 09:37:09 PM »
Swans, Ryan O'Keefe in contract talks
September 29, 2008 - 7:50PM

Sydney are in negotiations with star forward Ryan O'Keefe's in a bid to talk him out of considering a return home to Melbourne, which would prompt a fierce recruiting contest between several Victorian AFL clubs.

O'Keefe, 27, is out of contract and keen to return home after nine seasons with the Swans, the Ten Network reported.

The Swans have offered the half-forward a three year-deal, but he is yet to sign.

But the Swans refuted Ten's report, and a club spokeswoman said O'Keefe and club officials were still in discussions with the aim of him signing a new contract.

If O'Keefe does not commit to a new deal, the availability of the 2006 All-Australian, who played in Sydney's 2005 premiership side and has played 164 games (178 goals), would loom as one of the biggest potential trades in next week's exchange period.

His marking strength and skill as a half-forward would make him an appealing proposition to several clubs.

If the Swans cannot re-sign O'Keefe, they would be faced with the prospect of possessing little bargaining power in any potential trade.

The Swans would be unwilling to lose him for nothing, given uncontracted players can be taken in the pre-season draft, where wooden spooner Melbourne have first pick.

O'Keefe's manager could not be contacted.

http://news.realfooty.com.au/sport/swans-ryan-okeefe-in-contract-talks-20080929-4qbd.html

Offline Ekto

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 11:23:28 PM »

Played some good footy on Coburg City Oval too WP.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 12:17:58 AM »

+1

I would not lose sleep if was at Richmond next year.

Would add grunt, run and class.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Sydney's O'Keefe to meet Victorian clubs (Age)
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 02:32:34 AM »
Sydney's O'Keefe to meet Victorian clubs
Michael Gleeson | September 30, 2008

SYDNEY forward Ryan O'Keefe is meeting Melbourne clubs this week as he considers a move back to Victoria.

The Swan is emerging as the critical figure who could cause the trade dominoes to fall over in the next fortnight and Collingwood and Carlton are among a small number of clubs making a pitch to lure the out-of-contract forward.

O'Keefe turns 28 before next season and has been offered a three-year deal to remain in Sydney, but he has told the Swans he wants to test the market before re-signing.

He has appointed a manager and has told the Swans he will spend this week meeting suitors.

"Ryan is considering all of his options at the moment and that includes meeting with a number of other clubs, but it would be wrong to say he has walked out on the Sydney Swans," his manager Tom Petroro said.

Sydney coach Paul Roos said last night that O'Keefe had not told the club he wants to move back to Victoria.

"He certainly hasn't told us that. That's news to us," Roos said. "As far I know, they (contract negotiations) are (continuing). He's been down in Melbourne for a couple of days from what I can gather, but we haven't heard from him that he's leaving."

Collingwood is believed to be among those pursuing the forward, but is believed to have told the Swans last week that Alan Didak would not be part of a deal. The Pies have also ruled out trading their first-round draft pick.

That makes a deal with the Magpies unlikely unless they find another player, or package of players and a draft pick, to satisfy the Swans in the event that O'Keefe wants to move there. Rhyce Shaw and Ben Johnson are two who could be part of negotiations.

The Magpies have had success at the draft in rebuilding the club in recent years and despite their interest in O'Keefe, they are believed to be concerned not to disrupt that draft-first policy.

Carlton is desperate to bolster its forward line, which is heavily reliant on Brendan Fevola, so would naturally be attracted to a player such as O'Keefe who might improve their depth of forward talent as a hard-running lead-up player.

St Kilda is another club expected to show interest in O'Keefe by virtue of Ross Lyon's connection to Sydney. Adam Schneider and Sean Dempster last year both followed Lyon to Moorabbin.

Melbourne, with first pick in the pre-season draft, naturally lurks as a possibility for any out-of-contract player. This year, uncontracted players can also choose to nominate for the national draft but it would be difficult to envisage the former premiership player walking out on his club for no compensation.

O'Keefe was on the short list of 40 players named in the All-Australian squad this year but was unlucky to miss the final team. He was runner-up in the club's best-and-fairest in its grand final season in 2006.

From Strathmore, he played under-18s for the Calder Canons before being drafted by the Swans in 1999 at pick 56. He grew up supporting Footscray, the team his father played for, but the Dogs are believed not to be among those pursuing him.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/okeefe-to-meet-other-clubs/2008/09/29/1222650989902.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2008, 02:57:56 AM »
HAWTHORN has joined Carlton and Collingwood in the bidding for Sydney's out-of-contract forward Ryan O'Keefe.

O'Keefe is seeking a four-year deal, and was understood to be paid about $450,000 this year.

Hawthorn might be interested, but the Hawks are unlikely to have sufficient scope in the salary cap for a player in that pay bracket. So O'Keefe would, in effect, have to take a pay cut if he wanted to play with a premiership team that is still relatively young and expected to be a contender for the next few years.

St Kilda is believed to have a mild interest in O'Keefe, but the club has reiterated that Nick Dal Santo and Justin Koschitzke are not up for trade and is thus unclear how the Saints would satisfy Sydney in a trade.

Carlton chief executive Greg Swann was critical of media reports that the Blues could not possibly fit both O'Keefe and former Fremantle ruckman Robbie Warnock in its salary cap.

"We've got plenty of room inside the cap for several players in the calibre of O'Keefe," an angry Swann said.

"If O'Keefe's serious, we'll have a closer look at it, but we don't think he is serious, he might be chasing a bit more money from the Swans."

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24427880-5012432,00.html
http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/hawks-join-okeefe-queue/2008/09/30/1222651083336.html

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2008, 10:31:41 PM »

if that was the case my opinion would change , as it stands 28yo next year..NO WAY
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled