Author Topic: Adam Thomson [merged]  (Read 12232 times)

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Cameron hopeful to get Thomson for pick 42 (Sportal)
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2008, 09:19:05 PM »
A snippet from Sportal
07/10/2008 8:11 PM
Paul Gough

Cameron was more confident of coming up with a trade deal to secure Port youngster Adam Thomson, who has struggled to get a regular game with the Power having played just 28 games over the past four years.

Cameron said the deal was not yet finalised but was hopeful the Tigers could secure the 22-year-old for their third round selection - pick 42 overall.

http://sportal.com.au/afl-news-display/tigers-seaby-deal-unlikely-58181

i swear to god I am in love with this guy.

CC explained the situation perfectly.

Basically, we are interested in both seaby and thomson and hamish, but are not willing to offer our first two picks . They are off limits.
I love this strategy. Basically he is telling  nth and west coast, take one our tradeable players and we can do a deal, otherwise
forget it.

I know its early days but I encouraged by cc's manner enormously.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2008, 09:21:02 PM »
A snippet from Sportal
Paul Gough

Cameron was more confident of coming up with a trade deal to secure Port youngster Adam Thomson, who has struggled to get a regular game with the Power having played just 28 games over the past four years.

Cameron said the deal was not yet finalised but was hopeful the Tigers could secure the 22-year-old for their third round selection - pick 42 overall.

I dont mind this trade we need to add bigger bodied mids into our mix of GF sprinters if we are to take a step up, I like the way they are thinking .. :gotigers
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Adam Thomson likely to become a Tiger
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2008, 09:28:53 PM »
I still think a 3rd rounder is too much for a player that could just walk into the PSD

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2008, 09:40:16 PM »
I still think a 3rd rounder is too much for a player that could just walk into the PSD

that may well be the case however we would be no chance of securing him, he adds another dimension to our midifeld that is a genuine gap right now ..that is size....Lids, Foley, Cotchin tucky , tambling...they're not big...we really need to address this to take the next step...I realise there's no guarantees with this kid, but there NEVER is with pick 42 :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline peggles

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2008, 11:36:33 PM »
A snippet from Sportal
Paul Gough

i swear to god I am in love with this guy.

CC explained the situation perfectly.

Basically, we are interested in both seaby and thomson and hamish, but are not willing to offer our first two picks . They are off limits.
I love this strategy. Basically he is telling  nth and west coast, take one our tradeable players and we can do a deal, otherwise
forget it.

I know its early days but I encouraged by cc's manner enormously.

be very happy with picking up adam thomson, obviously i'd rather if we only give 4th rounder but i won't cry over giving up 3rd rounder.

in my opinion, i dont' think our first 2 picks are off limits.  pick 8 certainly is i'd say but i think we'd be willing to part with pick 26, not for seaby, but for mcintosh we'd certainly take it i reckon.  hope CC thinks the same

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2008, 12:02:54 AM »

that may well be the case however we would be no chance of securing him, he adds another dimension to our midifeld that is a genuine gap right now ..that is size....Lids, Foley, Cotchin tucky , tambling...they're not big...we really need to address this to take the next step...I realise there's no guarantees with this kid, but there NEVER is with pick 42 :shh
Adds another dimension? I thought slow midfielders who can't kick were catered for on our list already.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2008, 03:39:54 AM »
The Australian says the trade may happen as early as today.

"The Tigers may trade pick 42 to Port Adelaide today for mid-fielder Adam Thompson."

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24462814-2722,00.html

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2008, 08:31:22 AM »

Adds another dimension? I thought slow midfielders who can't kick were catered for on our list already.

100% correct.

im sick to death of recruiting players who cant stuffin kick.

big no to this dud
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2008, 09:34:50 AM »
This was posted on YnB by Crows, who is an Adelaide supporter, about Thomson

Guys, Adam Thomson has the potential to be a very good, bordering on great, AFL player IMO. He still racked up pretty decent possessions counts despite not recieving much game time and in the SANFL he's had some monster games. Ideally he could have been more consistent in the SANFL and by his 4th year on an AFL list he should have perhaps been more dominant than he was. But at the end of the day he is only 22 and has shown he can play at the highest level.

He’s an excellent in and under midfielder who can get first hands on the ball on a regular basis. His disposal by hand is superb but slightly questionable by foot as he sometimes picks poor options and he doesn’t have the most penetrating kick. He is also very dangerous around goals and has had many multiple goal games in the SANFL. He is a strong tackler, very courageous and is always willing to apply blocks and shepherds. He would be an absolute steal for a 3rd rounder make no mistake about that.

link: http://www.yellowandblack.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=8579&page=176

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2008, 09:51:48 AM »

Guys, Adam Thomson has the potential to be a very good, bordering on great, AFL player IMO. He still racked up pretty decent possessions counts despite not recieving much game time and in the SANFL he's had some monster games. Ideally he could have been more consistent in the SANFL and by his 4th year on an AFL list he should have perhaps been more dominant than he was. But at the end of the day he is only 22 and has shown he can play at the highest level.

He’s an excellent in and under midfielder who can get first hands on the ball on a regular basis. His disposal by hand is superb but slightly questionable by foot as he sometimes picks poor options and he doesn’t have the most penetrating kick. He is also very dangerous around goals and has had many multiple goal games in the SANFL. He is a strong tackler, very courageous and is always willing to apply blocks and shepherds. He would be an absolute steal for a 3rd rounder make no mistake about that.

i dont care about anything except the line "questionable by foot"

we should never recruit anyone who cant kick. no stuffin way
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2008, 09:59:13 AM »
As much as I hate agreeing with daniel, just look at the Hawks drafting mantra
They won't draft someone who can't kick, they've made a couple of exceptions with McEntee on the rookie list, but he's a ruckman and a speculative selection.
For a 4th rounder I wouldn't mind as we probably won't use it anyway, but not for a 3rd rounder, that's a waste.

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2008, 10:00:59 AM »

100% correct.

im sick to death of recruiting players who cant effin kick.

big no to this dud

well considering you and jack are absolutely clueless, and have zero ( actually negative) football knowledge, you not wanting him is probably as good a reason as any to go all out to get him.

He is tough and an extraction machine, perfect age 21-22. Frees up, and provides a little protection for lids and cotch, sounds logical and cheap. Again don't expect you to get that because youre an idiot. Keep flaming though bud, its very predictably entertaining

Just went through his draft camp results.

Runs 20 metres in  3.01 seconds = above average

top 10 in agility tests

good endurance

big leap

thomson is elte by hand, and sound by foot, he is not duncan kellaway. He can kick, but his disposal efficiency is down, because when he gets the ball, he is usually in the middle of the pack under intense pressure. Pick 42 if it gets done is a bargain.

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2008, 10:37:33 AM »

i dont care about anything except the line "questionable by foot"

we should never recruit anyone who cant kick. no effin way

Let me see one Nathan Foley had question marks over his kicking at one point

In any case Thomson is an improvement on our current "can't kick" players as he can tackle block and get his hands on the ball

Con65

« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2008, 11:04:10 AM »
Is Adam Thomson Port's version of our Meyer.  Not in body types or player types, but a high draft pick that hasn't come good ...yet?

If Thomson is any good, why then did Williams not play him in a rebuilding year.

Ramps

« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2008, 11:06:45 AM »
At some stage Richmond has to make sure that Deledio, Cotchin and Foley get some added protection. They cant allow especially Cotchin and Deledio to take all the heat. You need some blokes who will take some hits for them, Tuck plays this role well, Thomson could be a second, Coughlan if he comes back a 3rd. In 2011 and 2012 I want Deledio and Cotchin to be able to do the business, if we havent protected them as we should, then that would be a mistake. I am on the Thomson to Richmond bandwagon. Have been for months.