Author Topic: Clubs could lose points or even a premiership if players test positive to drugs  (Read 1430 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
AFL says clubs to pay for positive tests
October 13, 2008 - 11:35PM

AFL boss Andrew Demetriou has confirmed clubs could lose points or even a premiership if players test positive to drugs on match day.

Demetriou said the AFL Commission had the power to act if more than one player in a club had positive results.

"If more than one player at one club tests positive to performance enhancing drugs the league can act under rule 18 of the anti-doping code," Demetriou told The Australian newspaper.

The AFL was seeking to clarify the extent of the commission's powers as it assesses the conditions that would apply to the return of former West Coast player Ben Cousins to competition.

Cousins, who was suspended for a year for bringing the game into disrepute because of his drug addiction has applied to be re-registered so he can enter the December national draft.

http://news.realfooty.com.au/sport/afl-says-clubs-to-pay-for-positive-tests-20081013-4zxz.html

bushranger

I actually see nothing wrong with this. It will make players and clubs alike more accountable for their actions.
So if a play wants to take drugs and keeps it hidden then the club isn't doing it job.
I know a club can't be watching every player all the time, but if they have a suspect one surely that must have some some of sign that things ain't right.
So I think this is a good thing and I'm backing the AFL here.

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Fair enough to make players more accountable but premierships?  Should the rest of the team have to suffer because of the actions on one or more individuals.  Delist the offending players.

bushranger

Now delisting does make a lot of sense, when you think of it. I agree with that.
Thought the team will still suffer being without them still.
But at least they can bring in someone else to take over, but if you lose the points you can't get them back.