Author Topic: Gourdis, Cartledge, Collard and Howat gone / List lodgement (Friday 2pm)  (Read 11317 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Gourdis, Cartledge, Collard and Howat gone / List lodgement (Friday 2pm)
« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2008, 12:20:09 PM »
It could be garbage but a Blues fan on BF is claiming Gourdis has been invited to train with Carlton.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showpost.php?p=12984249&postcount=3

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2008, 12:56:23 PM »
With their defence they would probably take any cheap defender they can get.

They are probably sounding out Lance to come out of retirement.

richmondrules

« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2008, 12:58:55 PM »
My dead grandmothers budgie has been invited to train with Carlton.  :lol

Will be interesting to see if Carlton comes good with all these club discards, malcontents and high priced poachings on their list.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2008, 01:05:02 PM »
My dead grandmothers budgie has been invited to train with Carlton.  :lol

If the budgies dead it will be stiff and we all know that isn't a requirement of the Carlton defence

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2008, 01:18:55 PM »
If it's true, so much for him being depressed and wanting to go back to WA

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2008, 01:27:07 PM »
Playing defence for Carlton, now that would be depressing

Offline Jacosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • No bish fish, the moon wasnt right.
« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2008, 08:30:11 PM »

Yep, DeLuca might be good insurance as a rookie, but we know what we will get with Cartledge and depending on the relative costs the club will need to do a risk assessment on potential vs known.  The insurance only comes in to play in a 'now' sense - we shouldn't/won't need it in a couple of years time when our 'potential' ruckman have stepped up so taking DeLuca as insurance would be no different to having Graham or Putt now as insurance - it's all based on potential and the insurance value will probably amount to zero if you need it this year.  And that's if we get to take DeLuca - wouldn't be the first time a club has jumped in and trumped another club's plans.  I haven't got much of an opinion on which of these 2 would be the better options, just saying that it wouldn't surprise me to see Cartledge drafted.

Im a little confused here (I know nothing new there), Havent people been saying for months we need an over 200cm ruckman.  Deluca meets that requirement and has AFL experience with not bad stats averaging just 2.5 less hit outs less than Simmonds for limitted game time, from what i hear from friends in Adelaide he is a good ruckman but that is one of Ports strong areas and he had trouble breaking into the team full time. Cartledge was handy in the few games he played but is under 200 and (I could be wrong here) not mobile enough around the ground. So taking all that into consideration IMHO Deluca will be a better option also allowing Simmonds to rest more up forward during the game.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2008, 09:54:12 PM »

Im a little confused here (I know nothing new there), Havent people been saying for months we need an over 200cm ruckman.  Deluca meets that requirement and has AFL experience with not bad stats averaging just 2.5 less hit outs less than Simmonds for limitted game time, from what i hear from friends in Adelaide he is a good ruckman but that is one of Ports strong areas and he had trouble breaking into the team full time. Cartledge was handy in the few games he played but is under 200 and (I could be wrong here) not mobile enough around the ground. So taking all that into consideration IMHO Deluca will be a better option also allowing Simmonds to rest more up forward during the game.

I think people have been saying we need to be more competitive in the second string ruck.  Regardless of 4cm extra height, DeLuca's stats are no more effective in real terms - yep, averages a few more hitouts, averages less kicks, marks, handballs and tackles than an older player (who has less senior experience).  Remember our Knobel days - hitouts for hitout's sake are useless unless they go your way at least near 50/50.  Nothing in DeLuca's stats suggest to me he will be any improvement on Cartledge and you have to question how 'mobile' he is when he averages very few possessions.  Cartledge has already bonded with the players and appeared very comfortable in their presence in his couple of games at the end of last season.  Upgrading to a different version of the same model carries some risk with little apparent likelihood of significant improvement.  I just don't see the point in taking DeLuca when we already have Cartledge.  Justin Westhoff started with Port 12 months later and has gone past him easily, he can't push Troy Chaplin (196cm) and Toby Thurstans (195cm) out as the 3rd string ruckman so I just can't see much upside to him frankly.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2008, 02:37:45 PM »
The current playing list has been updated on the RFC site.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/Players/tabid/7689/default.aspx

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2008, 09:18:44 PM »
The current playing list has been updated on the RFC site.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/Players/tabid/7689/default.aspx

And AFL website reports that Gourdis is training with Richmond.

Richmond: Adam Cockshell (Port Adelaide), Fabian Deluca (Port Adelaide), David Gourdis (Richmond), Matt Davis (Coburg), Nick Liddle (Coburg), Jon Morris (Coburg), Fortunato Caruso (Coburg), Connor Meredith (County Laois, Ireland), Niall McKeever (County Antrim, Ireland), Tristan Cartledge (Richmond)
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2008, 05:23:15 PM »
Old news for some but I had it confirmed today that Collard came back from the break to our first preseason training session 10kgs overweight and looking like a blimp according to a friend who was watching. Clayton was apparently cut then and then as he wasn't at our next training session. Allegedly he was also homesick.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #71 on: December 03, 2008, 05:26:07 PM »
I heard from a reliable source that he was very homesick at the end of the season.

At least he wasn't starving himself over it.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2008, 05:28:37 PM »
I heard from a reliable source that he was very homesick at the end of the season.

:ROTFL

U bad person

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2008, 05:40:57 PM »
  ;D

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #74 on: December 05, 2008, 04:50:37 PM »
It may have been an oversight but Gourdis' name has been left off the list of departures in the Annual Report that arrived in the mail today. Mind you Collard is not on the list either so they must have included only those who played a senior game.