Author Topic: Matthew Rogers  (Read 5506 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Matthew Rogers
« on: May 13, 2004, 11:52:02 PM »
In last weeks "On the Prowl" page I raised the idea of the Club allowing Matthew, once he is fully fit, to play the 4 games he requires to reach the 200 game milestone and then having him retire.

It has been well documented that Matthew was contracted for this season (2004) and at the end of 2003 there were 3 options. One he could have retired, two: we could have traded him (which was never an option) or three: he remained on the list. De-listing was not an option because he was contracted.

Obviously, option 3 is what we have in 2004.  I reckon it is fair assumption to think that the reason he has continued is because he would love to play 200 games for the 1 team.

What is also obvious is that he struggling with injury and his chances to play the remaining 4 games he needs is becoming seemingly more remote ever week unless some sort of arrangement can be reached.

So what does the club do?

The next part of the equation is we have a couple of rookies (Moore & Dragga) that who should (subject to them continuing with their solid form with Coburg) IMO be given a chance to play seniors in 2004 to see if they worth promoting in 2005.

Is it worth saying "as soon as you are fit we'll play you for those 4 games and then you can retire". Thus presenting the opportunity for one of the rookies?

Or do we just have the status quo remain and see what happens?

Thoughts....

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Ox

Re: Matthew Rogers
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2004, 09:50:18 AM »
I too would like to see Buck break the double ton.
Good bloke and with his injuries has lost all of his
confidence.
Dragga is just a dud.

Offline Struggletown

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2004, 11:44:25 AM »
Yeah good idea WP

I still admire him for his undoubted courage,but he is no longer an option to strengthen the side.

By all reports from Coburg games Foley and Kel Moore seem promising and may be worth promoting.

Anyone seen these boys play?
Drink,Drugs and Shagging models.
The rest l just wasted.
  George Best on where his millions went

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2004, 01:49:57 PM »
There is no way Rogers can play a senior game in the near future.  He has put on too much weight and is struggling to run.  Also he got injured the other week, again.

If he is truly a good bloke he would retire now and let the club promote a rookie.  He should be grateful to the club for giving him a piggy back ride to 190+ games.  At any other club he would have been lining up at centrelink years ago.

Same goes for Kellaway.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2004, 03:02:55 PM »
lmfaooooooo@Rogers bulking up for a big year at Coburg. 

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2004, 05:14:56 PM »
Yeah - he's resembling your avatar John.

Put him in a G string and send him to the Sumo's in Japan......lmao..

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2004, 05:17:19 PM »
LAMOOO @ Mathiato Rogisaki

Ox

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2004, 05:30:24 PM »
LAMOOO @ Mathiato Rogisaki

Rooowwllin Harry.
LMAO.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2004, 06:24:14 PM »
What is also obvious is that he struggling with injury and his chances to play the remaining 4 games he needs is becoming seemingly more remote ever week unless some sort of arrangement can be reached.

Is it worth saying "as soon as you are fit we'll play you for those 4 games and then you can retire". Thus presenting the opportunity for one of the rookies?

I'd guess there'd be a couple of questions needed answered first: Whether Rogers will reach a stage this year of being fit enough/injury-free to play seniors? and whether we have enough room/enough money under the TPP to promote a rookie?

It would be a kind gesture to get Matty to 200 games but if he's not able to play or if he'd only just get up for a single game maybe the Club could organize it so that one match is a farewell/retirement game for both Rogers and Duncan.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2004, 08:59:14 AM »
I don't think we should let sentimentality get in the way.  If he's not up to it, he's not up to it.  He and Dunc should retire gracefully.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2004, 09:47:14 AM »
I don't think we should let sentimentality get in the way.  If he's not up to it, he's not up to it.  He and Dunc should retire gracefully.

I agree they should "retire gracefully" -but I don't think that is going to happen. So if what I suggested will enable the Club to get one to retire then perhaps it is viable option.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2004, 01:17:51 PM »
Not sure what the story is with Matt Rogers but I'd say he was expecting a productive year.
As for Duncan Kellaway, I believe he was going to retire before this season but was asked by the club to stay on, maybe as a mentor with the large number of young recruits. A graceful retirement may not happen but there is absolutely no question that it will be a loyal retirement.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Ox

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2004, 01:22:41 PM »

How can we get good draft pix that way. >:(

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2004, 08:28:26 PM »
Personally, I think the top draft picks are a bit over-rated.  Look how well Cooney played yesterday.