Author Topic: Adam Cockie  (Read 2661 times)

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Adam Cockie
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2008, 09:38:23 AM »
Now we just have to pick up Adam Cockshell as well.

Offline peggles

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2008, 09:21:54 PM »
can he play as a small forward?? if yes i'd like to look at him with our last pick in the ND

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2008, 10:28:40 PM »
can he play as a small forward?? if yes i'd like to look at him with our last pick in the ND
Part of that youtube footage showed him up forward on the lead. Those run downs are very Rioli/Davey like. He had 21 possies and kicked a goal in the WAFL GF apparently. If we select Cockshell at 70 then pick 58 would be our only shot at Cockie.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2008, 12:27:09 AM »
Here's some detailed info on Cockie:

http://wadraftprofiles.blogspot.com/2008/11/adam-cockie-subiaco.html

Adam Cockie (Subiaco)

Brief:
Tough, hard running, lion-hearted small midfielder/utility with outstanding work ethic

DOB: 18th April 1989
Height: 180cm
Weight: 82kg

Preferred foot: Right foot

Potential: 7.5 (B to B+ grade ceiling)

Likelihood: B- (60% confidence)

Playing Style Comparison: young Daniel Chick

Background:

- Played his junior footy for Sorrento Duncraig with Rich and been right through the Subiaco development programme (along with the state programme for WA)

- Played colts in 2006 (14 games, injury stricken season, 16 votes in the Jack Clarke medal) and 2007 (won the Jack Clarke medal)

- Missed out on being drafted in the previous 2 years (2006 as a very bottom-aged player, 2007 as a top-ager)

- Missed out on the state carnival last year with an injury

- Father (Michael) played for South Fremantle in the 1980s

Honours:

2005 WA U16 squad

2007 WA U18 squad

2007 Jack Clarke Medallist winner – 44 votes

2008 Subiaco B&F – 3rd

2008 Sandover medal (18 votes)

2008 WAFL Rising Star – 7th (14 votes)

2008 Form:

After missing out on being drafted the previous 2 years, Cockie was determined to make 2008 the year. With the 2007 Jack Clarke medal on his mantelpiece and a strong pre-season under his belt he debuted in the season opening league game for Subiaco.

While he never completely took a game by the scruff or took home a dazzling stats sheet, he was a very valuable contributor in just about every game he played in, forming himself a part of the juggernaut that was Subiaco. His efforts were rewarded mid-season with state selection for WA against Queensland and he went about his business as usual.

Perhaps his most important and impressive game of the season came against Swan Districts on the biggest stage, the WAFL GF. With Swan Districts controlling the game early, Cockie’s grit, outstanding defensive pressure, hard running and clean ball movement kept kept Subiaco in touching distance at all times and helped Subiaco regain control in the 2nd quarter. He didn’t standout much after Subiaco’s wheels were in full motion, which is probably why he didn’t end up with a Simpson medal around his neck, but his contribution was one of the most valuable to Subiaco on the day and epitomised what he’s all about as a footballer - 18 possessions, 3 marks and 1.0 was a handy tally to finish with but didn’t fully show the impact he had.

Disposal/Decision making –Kicking 7/10, Handballing 8/10

- Footskills are slightly above average.

- Right footed

- Low trajectory kick

- Spins it with good rotation/velocity through the air.

- Technically a bit unconventional – kicks around the footy (non-linear, steps out to the right)

- Occasionally uses left foot and ability is about average for a non-dominant side.

- Good penetration- can carry it between 55-60m at best

- DM and radar are both probably around average.

- Hurt factor is around medium.

- Very good handballing ability overall

- Very effective and clean inside congestion

- Good vision

- Feeds the ball out to running players advantage well.

- Good power behind feeds

Hands – 8/10

- Very clean hands overall (one touch).

- Clean inside traffic

- Rarely fumbles.

Work-ethic/Intensity/Competitiveness – Offensive 8.5/10, Defensive 9.5/10

- Fantastic work-ethic (both ways), gut running and competitiveness.

- 2nd and 3rd efforts are amazing and a common place with Cockie

- Plays with a never say die attitude.

- A real hard hitting tackler – no mercy for his opponents

Footy nous/Ball-winning ability – Footy Nous 8/10, Ball winning ability 8/10

- Smart player

- Has very good all-round ball winning ability

- Ball magnet in colts, but not in seniors this year

- Hasn’t found a heap of the football for Subiaco this year (mainly due to rotations)

- Still has good impact on games even with limited TOG because:

- He wins so much of it in tight at stoppages

-Applies excellent defensive pressure too.

- Keeps the ball moving forward

-Links up very well around the ground well, particularly through the corridor - very good at straightening the team up

Goal Kicking Ability – 7/10

- Good ability to effectively push forward and kick goals through the midfield

- Can kick them from around and from the 50m arc too.

Athleticism – 8/10

- Acceleration/speed - improved from last year IMO – now slightly above average (20m: 2.97s)

- Decent run and carry speed – not quick, but covers ground reasonably well

- Evasiveness/lateral movement has always been excellent (agility: 8.15s, ranked 1st at WA SS) – very good sidestep, recovery and defensive agility.

- Strong through the legs and core too - VERY good ability to stand up/break/shrug tackles well (I recall a good example against Claremont where he extracted a ball out of congestion then barged through 2-3 players before feeding it off to a running players adv).

- He’s a hard runner on the field (puts in plenty of 2nd efforts and chases/pressures very well) – very good repeat efforts

- Beep test score (12.11) definitely didn’t reflect that - it was mentioned he looked like he was going through the motions(?).

- Ticks the boxes when it comes to poise and balance – holds his feet very well in contests and looks/moves like a footballer should.

Overhead marking – 8.5/10

- Very strong overhead
- Excellent contested mark for his size.
- Holds his position very well and competes well aerially.

Versatility – 8/10

- Ability to play any of HBF/midfield/tagger/HFF

AFL Ready?

- Would think so - has played a full year of senior footy with Subiaco and even represented his state in the WAFL vs QAFL clash.

Upside

- Nothing outstanding.
- Physically, already quite well built, though may need a couple more kilos to play his role at AFL level.

Overall Assessment

Ticks most the boxes for me with very few weaknesses. Beats me how he wasn’t at least rookie listed last year – clubs will be paying a higher price this year. I can see him being a player that is unlikely to ever be a superstar, but will be a very solid contributor for his team just about every week, whatever role he is give and hold terrific value at the pointy end of the season.

Draft Prediction: Pick 30-50

Strengths

- In close/clearance ability
- Endurance
- Handballing
- Work ethic
- Tackling
- Kicking penetration
- AFL Ready
- Versatility

Weaknesses

- Lacks scope
- No real standout offensive weapon

Stats

2008 WAFL Season (22 games, 9 bests)

5.9 kicks, 7.7 handballs, 2.3 marks, 1.0 FF, 1.3 FA, 0.2 HO, 0.5 goals, 0.2 behinds

2008 State Game (1 game)

7 kicks, 6 handballs, 1 mark, 1FF, 1 goal

http://wadraftprofiles.blogspot.com/2008/11/adam-cockie-subiaco.html

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2008, 07:53:36 AM »
How much does this guy sound like Foley?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2008, 05:09:21 PM »
From the youtube vision and info on Cockie probably one of the differences from Foley is Foley uses his pace now (which he's developed while at Richmond) as an offensive weapon. Those bursts out of stoppages and 4 running bounce goals. Cockie has pace but based on the youtube vision he uses it as a defensive weapon running down opponents. If Cockie could develop and show that pace with the ball like Foley has then he would lose that knock against him of not having an offensive weapon. Still as a late draft pick you wouldn't be paying a lot to take the risk.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2008, 07:27:02 PM »
From the youtube vision and info on Cockie probably one of the differences from Foley is Foley uses his pace now (which he's developed while at Richmond) as an offensive weapon. Those bursts out of stoppages and 4 running bounce goals. Cockie has pace but based on the youtube vision he uses it as a defensive weapon running down opponents. If Cockie could develop and show that pace with the ball like Foley has then he would lose that knock against him of not having an offensive weapon. Still as a late draft pick you wouldn't be paying a lot to take the risk.

It would be nice to score a lucky punch with a late draft pick (and timely)
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2008, 07:46:35 PM »
Certainly looks like a very good mover doesn't he.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2008, 07:01:51 PM »
Kevin Sheehan said Cockie is quick with a strong body. These older types from WA have regained the interest of AFL clubs thanks to Bradd Dalziell exploding on the scene for Brisbane.