Author Topic: Tyrone Vickery [merged]  (Read 307584 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Pick 8: Tyrone Vickery
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2009, 04:31:25 AM »
Slim gym
IT'S rare to see AFL footballers working out in public gyms, but such was the case early last Thursday afternoon with Richmond ruckman Tyrone Vickery pumping iron in the Fitness First gym at Victoria Gardens Shopping Centre in Richmond. Being supervised by his father, John Vickery, who played for Collingwood in the early 1970s and is the Tigers' rehabilitation and conditioning coach, the highly rated youngster (he was taken with the overall No. 8 pick at last year's national draft but is yet to make his senior debut) is not wasting a day - even an official day off from Punt Road - in his quest to beef up a frame that is officially listed at 200 centimetres and 89 kilograms.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/sport/the-wheel-deal/2009/05/16/1242335938229.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Tigermonk

Re: Pick 8: Tyrone Vickery
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2009, 07:09:18 AM »
Blood this lad next week against Essendon in the forward-line

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Tyrone Vickery [merged]
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2009, 04:47:04 PM »
GO VICKERY.... Well done.

YOUNG Richmond tall Tyrone Vickery will make his debut against the West Coast Eagles on Saturday night – new caretaker coach Jade Rawlings' first game in charge.

Vickery, 19, was recruited by the Tigers with their first-round pick, No. 8 overall, in the 2008 NAB AFL Draft.

The club was surprised that Vickery, who shone at the 2008 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships after returning from a knee reconstruction, was still available when its selection arrived.

At 200cm and 89kg, Vickery is expected to be used as a forward rather than in the ruck – the position he will develop into over the coming years.

Vickery's father John played for Collingwood and is the rehabilitation and conditioning coach at Richmond

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/78580/default.aspx

« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 03:31:09 AM by one-eyed »
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Tigers to unveil Vickery on Saturday night
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2009, 04:56:08 PM »
Great news and if he shows something in the forwardline we need to leave him there for the remainder of the season and even elevate Browne back into the team to share the ruck roll with Gus and Patto for the year. I would like use to have Patto and Vickery in the forwardline with Riewoldt at HF moving up field and Nahas and Morton having a field day at the big fellows heels.

Now I would like to also see Post play in the backline along with Silvester (give him a chance to see if he will make it before his time runs out) and even little Gilligan getting a run (if early retirements fall his way).

Throw Thomson and Hislop into the mix and this is what I want for the rest of the year - testing out the future

Stripes

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2009, 05:21:54 PM »
Wrapped for him.

Sources have said he'll play forward and a bit in the ruck.

Um. Surely not against Dean Cox. Play him next to Riewoldt and have designated pockets to lead to from eth square and open it up. Jade please don't play him in the ruck, wait till we play Brisbane or Melbourne.
Go Tigers!

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2009, 05:24:04 PM »
Cool cant wait to see this.

I wonder who they will put on him if he plays up forward, it would be a bit tough if he attracts Glass.  Hopefully Schulz will play and him and Glass can do nothing together while Vickers carves them up.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2009, 06:08:37 PM »
Great news and if he shows something in the forwardline we need to leave him there for the remainder of the season and even elevate Browne back into the team to share the ruck roll with Gus and Patto for the year. I would like use to have Patto and Vickery in the forwardline with Riewoldt at HF moving up field and Nahas and Morton having a field day at the big fellows heels.

Now I would like to also see Post play in the backline along with Silvester (give him a chance to see if he will make it before his time runs out) and even little Gilligan getting a run (if early retirements fall his way).

Throw Thomson and Hislop into the mix and this is what I want for the rest of the year - testing out the future

Stripes
I like your thinking Stripes- play as many kids as possible.
The next few weeks will tell the tale as to which way we are heading.

Tigermonk

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2009, 06:36:46 PM »
about time  :thumbsup

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2009, 07:16:40 PM »
Fantastic. Let's play Post in a few weeks also. :thumbsup
Play the kids they are our future. Get the games into them and lets get them to an acceptable chance of reaching the right tempo at the top level rather than play kids for a few minutes here and there and then back to Coburg as our predecessors have done.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2009, 07:26:49 PM »
Why wait for what has transpired and then play him?
Vickery is going to be awesome, I have watched a bit of Coburg and he has been up/down so you guys/gals don't expect too much! Will take time to develop but at least get him a bit of game time at top level while he develops.

Tigermonk

« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2009, 08:48:09 PM »
Some youngsters have ability to adapt to AFL football quicker than VFL football because the pace of the game suits them better.
They are trained that hard at TAC level & training camps that VFL level dont suit them at all. Playing with some hacks slows thier progress makes them stale
Once that adrenalin gets pumping in them,  some become instant ball magnets. Lets hope Vickery is one of them.
Richmond needs to pull away from Coburg to become a power club again, just my opinion. l know many would be against what l say,  but l would like to see the AFL go back to reserves competition again & raise the salary cap & lists numbers so that the standard picks up as l beleive its dropped off since the deletion of the reserves sides.
Skill level is seriously getting poor at top level with kicking

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2009, 09:41:20 PM »
Vickery = New Messiah......lead us to the promised land young lad. :lol
Unleash the tornado

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Rawlings has what it takes: Vickery (RFC)
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2009, 02:52:31 PM »
Rawlings has what it takes: Vickery
richmondfc.com.au
By Mic Cullen  Thu 11 June, 2009

RICHMOND’S Tyrone Vickery, who will make his debut for the Tigers this Saturday against the Eagles, says he feels comfortable knowing that his coach at VFL level will guide him through his first match.

Jade Rawlings was installed as the caretaker coach of the Tigers last Saturday, and one of his first changes has been to promote the dreadlocked youngster who has been playing good footy for him at Coburg in the VFL.

Vickery said he expected Rawlings to thrive in the AFL environment.

"Jade's been really good over the first half of the year for myself and the younger guys, so for him to now be coaching at AFL level and me to be playing, I suppose it'll make it pretty easy because I know how he coaches," he said at Punt Rd on Thursday.

"He's got a very good temperament, he's able to handle crisis well and keep a clear head, but I suppose it'll all be tested out when it goes up another step at AFL (level), but I think he'll be a very good caretaker coach for the club."

Three kilos have been added to the Vickery frame since his arrival at the club where his father is the strength and conditioning coach, and he said consistent footy – both in the ruck and forward – in the last month had aided his selection.

"The consistent football in the last month for Coburg – the gap between my best and worst has been much less and hopefully I can continue that at the higher level,” Vickery said.

"When I've got the ball, I pride myself on not turning it over, and also my athleticism for my height, I reckon I'm able to match it in speed and agility with players much smaller than me.

"I haven't really been told as yet (what positions he'll play) – I'd expect it to be a similar role to the role I've been playing for Coburg, because that's what got me into the side, so I suppose a combination of both."

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/78627/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tyrone Vickery calm before first game (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2009, 02:54:34 PM »
Tyrone Vickery calm before first game
Matt Windley | June 11, 2009 01:22pm

TYRONE Vickery concedes his debut isn't the main attraction at Etihad Stadium on Saturday night.

With Ben Cousins facing West Coast for the first time and caretaker coach Jade Rawlings taking the reins, the Tigers' faithful could be forgiven for forgetting that the No.8 pick at last year's draft was making his debut.

But Vickery, the son of ex-Collingwood player and current Richmond rehabilitation and conditioning coach John, is nonetheless excited about his first crack at the big time.

"I've been working towards this, obviously, since I got drafted down to the club and it's a very exciting opportunity," Vickery said.

Sporting dreadlocks that put Chance Bateman's old haircut to shame, Vickery, at 200cm and 92kg, is every chance to line-up in the ruck against Dean Cox with Daniel Kerr at his feet.

On his side will be the former Brownlow Medallist Cousins, who Vickery said had spoken to him about how to approach his first game.

"He's had some calming words to me about remaining calm and (reminding me) that it was just another game of football,'' he said.

Vickery is as well placed as anyone to comment on the coaching style of Rawlings after playing seven games under him for VFL affiliate Coburg.

Vickery said his transition from VFL to AFL was arguably easier for him, seeing as it's under the same coach.

"Jade's been really good for half of the year down at Coburg for myself and the younger guys, so for him to be now coaching at AFL level and me playing I suppose it will make it pretty easy, I know what he expects and I know how he coaches.

"He's got a very good temperament, he's able to handle crises well I think, he keeps a clear head, but I suppose it will all be tested out when it goes up another step at AFL (level) but I think he'll be a very good caretaker coach for the club.''

Vickery said having the connection to the club through his dad had made it easier to settle in at Punt Rd.

"It was a really familiar environment upon walking into the club and I'd met most of the players a few times before so, in that sense, it was pretty easy," he said.

"But I think all the first year draftees were able to fit in pretty well because it's a pretty young group and they’re pretty welcoming."

Also poised to make his debut tomorrow night is No.2 draft pick and fellow dread-head Nick Naitanui, who Vickery encountered on numerous occasions at the junior national championships.

"I first came up against him in under-16s ... and through the AIS program we were in the same induction so I've had a fair bit to do with him … he's quite a talented player.

“I suppose (because of) the positions we play, I'm sure we'll cross paths if we both line up.''

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25620170-19742,00.html

Moi

Re: Rawlings has what it takes: Vickery (RFC)
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2009, 10:28:39 PM »
"Jade's been really good over the first half of the year for myself and the younger guys, so for him to now be coaching at AFL level and me to be playing, I suppose it'll make it pretty easy because I know how he coaches," he said at Punt Rd on Thursday.

"He's got a very good temperament, he's able to handle crisis well and keep a clear head, but I suppose it'll all be tested out when it goes up another step at AFL (level), but I think he'll be a very good caretaker coach for the club."

Taking the art form of sucking up to a new level  :lol
Good luck Ty
 :gotigers