Author Topic: Tyrone Vickery [merged]  (Read 349921 times)

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
Re: Tyrone Vickery [merged]
« Reply #795 on: April 29, 2013, 07:57:45 PM »
Tigra at this stage I'm putting his wide fluctuations in form to immaturity,and a bad run with injuries..In 3 years time if this has continued with no noticeable upswing in form lets have this conversation again

:cheers

Actually don't know if I'm that patient to be honest.
The club that keeps giving.

Gigantor

« Reply #796 on: April 29, 2013, 07:59:28 PM »
just out of interest Tigra how much time are you prepared to give Elton and Griff?

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #797 on: April 29, 2013, 08:36:19 PM »
just out of interest Tigra how much time are you prepared to give Elton and Griff?
That's a good question G.

Both second round picks if u take into consideration the concessions picks.

To be honest with Griff I'm still trying to forget that Fyfe was picked with the next pick in the draft not to mention what Geelong has done with Duncan and Christensen but lets not talk about it or Sam Reid. :shh  ;D
I'm feel I'm starting to lose patience with Griffiths not on the park, consistently injured and the fact that we all want to see him up forward but the coaches like him in defence.
I see potential but again frustrated and impatient with his development.
Just play him forward FFS.

Elton is just too young to call at this stage. Needs a few years I guess.

Um ..... That's all I got.  ;D
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #798 on: April 29, 2013, 08:59:58 PM »
Well your a knob.

Griff is a baby and build like a train.

Give him a chance.

*edit sorry for name calling apon reflection but Ben needs your support.  :gotigers
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 10:18:32 PM by Bentleigh-esque »

Gigantor

« Reply #799 on: April 29, 2013, 09:06:11 PM »
he might be built like a train but at this point in his football life he breaks like porcelain

dwaino

« Reply #800 on: April 29, 2013, 09:10:11 PM »

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #801 on: April 29, 2013, 09:14:46 PM »
I cannot help but think that if Griff was given as many chances as Ty up forward he would be more advanced.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Gigantor

« Reply #802 on: April 29, 2013, 09:16:50 PM »
He might be more advanced i agree..but this kid up until this year couldnt stay on the park for longer than a nano second

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #803 on: April 29, 2013, 09:21:25 PM »
Most AFL clubs would 'blood' a 200cm until the 4th/5th season of development.

We are talking about delisting.

Gigantor

« Reply #804 on: April 29, 2013, 09:24:30 PM »
i dont want to delist either of the 2.I think both have a lot to offer ,and both have a huge upside.All I'm saying is that both have failings which although not fatal certainly need time and patience to overcome

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #805 on: April 29, 2013, 09:25:30 PM »
I cannot help but think that if Griff was given as many chances as Ty up forward he would be more advanced.

Ty earned his chances two years ago as a 20 year old in 2011

the claw

« Reply #806 on: April 29, 2013, 09:57:54 PM »
Most AFL clubs would 'blood' a 200cm until the 4th/5th season of development.

We are talking about delisting.
cant agree with the above. the vast majority do not wait until they are 22 23 to play a game. lets say most at 196cm plus at  the time of drafting is tall and unco.  . an awful lot at 196cm plus  who are taken as 18 yr olds do play early. thing is a lot of the taller kids are not even drafted until they are 21 plus and thats as rookies.

not sure if ive seen any one any where talk about delisting vickery.
 he turns 23 in a month he turns 24 next yr.  at 24 he should be well and truly proven and displaying his potential on a regular consistent basis. so for me  basically this yr and next before id be calling for his head.
he is very much being hailed as a very good player and i dont believe that is warranted.atm he is very much living off the potential tag.

all people have done is point out what they see  as his weaknesses and some of us have even tried to keep his overall performance on the field in perspective.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #807 on: April 29, 2013, 10:13:16 PM »
thing is a lot of the taller kids are not even drafted until they are 21 plus and thats as rookies.

Is this not reason to give Benny Griffiths more time?

Ben Reid played 8 games in his first three seasons before a break out year. Five cms small than Griffo.

Offline Tiger Tragic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #808 on: April 29, 2013, 10:19:51 PM »
The problem with Vickery, Griffiths, Astbury and perhaps Elton is that, while they have the tools, they lack the desperation and urgency to make a contest theirs.

Not sure you can teach or develop that.

the claw

« Reply #809 on: April 29, 2013, 10:52:07 PM »
thing is a lot of the taller kids are not even drafted until they are 21 plus and thats as rookies.

Is this not reason to give Benny Griffiths more time?

Ben Reid played 8 games in his first three seasons before a break out year. Five cms small than Griffo.
for sure. id give him till the end of 2015. that is along as there is steady  improvement along the way. roughly around that 24 age mark for the super talls.that goes for all our young talls  they need to show improvement if griffiths is exactly where he is now at the end of next yr you have to ask though.

The problem with Vickery, Griffiths, Astbury and perhaps Elton is that, while they have the tools, they lack the desperation and urgency to make a contest theirs.

Not sure you can teach or develop that.
the thing i place a high emphasis on  talls above 195cm is they are actually good in the air.  of the 4 atm id say elton has it over the other 3. he looks like he could be a real threat in the air.but i agree with your sentiments.

i watched a lot of astbury as a kid and to me he was an ideal hit up tall its actually something we dont have yet we insist on playing him back.
griffiths for his height was super quick very agile a super kick. lead at the ball well. and could clunk a mark. . i say could because you dont see it anymore. to me these are the attributes of a very good f/f yet we refuse to play him there.
of course you have vickery who imo should be learning the caper primarily as a ruckman even if that means at coburg. people just would not agree with this.  imo i think we are at a stage where we need to take a step back to take a few steps forward.