Author Topic: Your final predictions for Saturday's draft?  (Read 2634 times)

Ramps

Re: Your final predictions for Saturday's draft?
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2008, 04:38:05 PM »
If we get Vickery at 8 then we dont need to pick up another ruckman until the rookie draft. Tomorrow what I want to see is us get 1 Ruckman 1 Key Forward and 1 Midfielder the last pick at 70 can be what they want, but from that I want to see us take atleast 1 kid who is bottom aged at either 58 or 70. And Preferably I would take 2 bottom aged players- Players who could have gone top 30 in 2009.

People talk about Simmonds hypotheticals and what happens if he gets injured. We have Pattison, we have Angus, At a time of need you could make do with what we have. WE SHOULD NOT WASTE PICKS ON TOP UPS and RECYCLEDS.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2008, 05:06:52 PM »
If we get Vickery at 8 then we dont need to pick up another ruckman until the rookie draft. Tomorrow what I want to see is us get 1 Ruckman 1 Key Forward and 1 Midfielder the last pick at 70 can be what they want, but from that I want to see us take atleast 1 kid who is bottom aged at either 58 or 70. And Preferably I would take 2 bottom aged players- Players who could have gone top 30 in 2009.

People talk about Simmonds hypotheticals and what happens if he gets injured. We have Pattison, we have Angus, At a time of need you could make do with what we have. WE SHOULD NOT WASTE PICKS ON TOP UPS and RECYCLEDS.
Agree Ramps but try telling that to the RFC down the years ::). I was flabberghasted when Miller told us last year that Howat would stay on.  Also not only does the chance of Simmo going down enter the club's decision making but so does our finances or lack of them. A recycled player may only get a one-year deal whereas a kid has to get a two-year one. Dollars shouldn't affect recruiting decisions but as we've seen with Petts after doing his knee it does. Anyway I'll see what we do tomorrow before going off. Hopefully with the revamped footy dept and better resources the Club surprises us and avoids band-aid top ups.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2008, 05:44:41 PM »
I reckon a couple of clubs will say "PASS" when it gets to their final selection ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2008, 07:11:59 PM »
Using the absolute taking the best player philosphy...

Are most people of the belief that Vickery is a better player than Trengove  ???

Trengove was touted as a top 5 prospect earlier this year prior to his injury

I suppose I am asking is Trengrve any chance for our pick 8  ???

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2008, 09:00:25 PM »

Are most people of the belief that Vickery is a better player than Trengove  ???

He would be my second choice after Vickery. I think Vickery has the height and developing strength already (Dad's been building him up in the ring at Punt road) to be a genuine ruck when Simmo retires and the athletism, tackling ability, hands and foot skills to become a star forward. Trengove on the other hand has shown he is a wonderful KPP but lacks the height for the ruck (taller than Simmonds though).

So....I think we will pick Vickery because we know exactly what we are getting because of his strong association with the club whereas Tregrove still remains a very speculative choice.

We used a similiar strategy when we chose Cotchin last year after he trained with us for quite some time and that has proven a wise move to date. So perhaps using similiar reasoning Vickery would be the safer and better choice.

As always, time will tell.

Stripes

PS Here is a Bigfooty thread that has highlights of both Vickery and Tregrove. Vickery looks awesome!

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=513747&page=2
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 09:35:45 PM by Stripes »

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2008, 09:40:55 PM »

no

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2008, 09:55:51 PM »
I think one of the better players will slip to us, I would take Vick, then Hartlett, then Rich then JT . Would love JT but you must get the best available especially when they fit the bill.

I have had a look at a few videos of Vick and even ones of his team mates where hes in them and he is always involved. If we get him, I belive we wiill get something special but as with the likes of Buddy, Bennie Gale we might actually get a very good CHF - mums the word.

Offline Ekto

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2008, 09:56:13 PM »
Some players selected in the top 20 will never play a game at AFL level.

Some players selected after pick 60 will be superstars.

Matt Burgan's success rate for his Phantom draft will still be below 15% on Saturday night.

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2008, 11:29:00 PM »
Melb - Watts (Vic)
WC - Naitanui (WA)
Frem - Hill (WA)
PA - Rich (WA)
Ess - Hurley (Vic)
Carl - Hartlett (SA)
Bris - Ziebell (Vic)
Rich - Vickery (Vic)
NM - Sidebottom (Vic)
Adel - Trengove (Vic)
Coll - Swift (WA)
Syd - Johnston (SA)
St K - Blease (Vic)
WB - Cordy (Vic)
Geel - Suban (Vic)
Haw - Lynch (Vic)

Melb - Davis (SA)
WC - Yarran (WA)

Melb - Robinson (Tas)
WC - Schoenmarkers (SA)
Frem - Walters (WA)
PA - Smith (Vic)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2008, 05:04:28 AM »

He would be my second choice after Vickery. I think Vickery has the height and developing strength already (Dad's been building him up in the ring at Punt road) to be a genuine ruck when Simmo retires and the athletism, tackling ability, hands and foot skills to become a star forward. Trengove on the other hand has shown he is a wonderful KPP but lacks the height for the ruck (taller than Simmonds though).

So....I think we will pick Vickery because we know exactly what we are getting because of his strong association with the club whereas Tregrove still remains a very speculative choice.

We used a similiar strategy when we chose Cotchin last year after he trained with us for quite some time and that has proven a wise move to date. So perhaps using similiar reasoning Vickery would be the safer and better choice.

As always, time will tell.

Stripes

PS Here is a Bigfooty thread that has highlights of both Vickery and Tregrove. Vickery looks awesome!

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=513747&page=2
WP, as Stripes said recruiters have seen Vickery play a whole year as good as gold after doing his knee and seen him star against WA in the U18 champs.

Trengove despite the positive medical reports on his knee, knee nerve and hammy, is being picked up blind in terms of him not having played footy since doing the injury. There's extra risk from that point of view. Today's Age goes into more detail about Trengove.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/big-punt-as-clubs-roll-dice/2008/11/28/1227491831834.html?page=fullpage
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2008, 09:16:08 AM »

Agree - with the rider that there are always going to be one or two recycleds that demand due consideration.  We did that with Morton and it has proven successful so far, and hopefully we will get the same result with Thompson.

Ramps

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2008, 09:25:38 AM »
Last year I wanted Morton but not McMahon, this year I wanted Thomson but no other recycled, rumours of Cockshell and Hislop are extremely worrying, Inside the next 2 hours we will know what we have ended up with.

Offline Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2008, 10:00:57 AM »
I am excited 1 min to go, I think we will get Vickery as I dont think Rich will slip but boy if he did I would be happy.  Either way we get a 10 year player.

:gotigers
Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2008, 09:22:10 PM »
8.  Vickery
26. Post (He's been in 3 phantom drafts now so someone know's something?)
58. Tom Rockliff
70.  Hislop

Well done pmac21  :thumbsup

2 out of 4 exact and one other in wrong order

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2008, 10:04:16 PM »
Melb - Watts (Vic)
WC - Naitanui (WA)
Frem - Hill (WA)
PA - Rich (WA)
Ess - Hurley (Vic)
Carl - Hartlett (SA)
Bris - Ziebell (Vic)
Rich - Vickery (Vic)
NM - Sidebottom (Vic)
Adel - Trengove (Vic)
Coll - Swift (WA)
Syd - Johnston (SA)
St K - Blease (Vic)
WB - Cordy (Vic)
Geel - Suban (Vic)
Haw - Lynch (Vic)

Melb - Davis (SA)
WC - Yarran (WA)

Melb - Robinson (Tas)
WC - Schoenmarkers (SA)
Frem - Walters (WA)
PA - Smith (Vic)

7/22 - no good (and the seven were easy!)