Author Topic: Official PSD and rookie draft thread  (Read 2821 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Official PSD and rookie draft thread
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2008, 01:29:39 AM »
So do we have any info on our latest rookies, other than Gourdis, gee he had better pull his finger out.
Check the individual threads on each WAT  :).

The talk that we were keen on Klemke (in the PSD) turned out to be garbage. We bypassed him 4 times. I reckon too that when we saw Freo overlook Gourdis at 3 we felt comfortable going for someone else first and then pick up Dave at 24. In the end we've come out looking like we've had a win-win in the media picking up both Cousins and Gourdis.

The Hawks must be obsessed with us as much as their fans on BF. They had Meyer training with them and now they've pulled Peterson out of nowhere after over a year away from AFL. Interesting to see if he's got his act together off-field. No surprise Danny went to Port. LOL at St Kilda picking up Hack Dawson. They must be desperate  :lol. Essendon fans are doing their nut over taking Skipworth ahead of Cousins.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
'Other' draft excites Francis Jackson (RFC)
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2008, 03:55:14 AM »
'Other' draft excites Jackson
richmondfc.com.au
By Mic Cullen
5:27 PM Tue 16 December, 2008

WITH ALL the fuss around Richmond’s selection of Ben Cousins in the 2008 NAB AFL Pre-Season Draft, it’s easy to forget that one of the most important events on the AFL calendar, the NAB AFL Rookie Draft, took place just minutes later.

Richmond picked up four players and passed with their last option in a draft that recruiting manager Francis Jackson described as "fairly thin".

And although Jackson missed one player he would have loved to get to the club, he was more than happy with the ones he did manage to snare.

“I’m genuinely excited the way it all panned out,” Jackson told richmondfc.com.au.

“Robin Nahas (pick 8) is a small forward who kicked 50 goals for Port Melbourne (VFL), and he will give us that leg-speed and goalkicking ability.

“He also has outstanding defensive skills and is a fantastic tackler, so I’m genuinely excited that he fulfills a significant need on our list.”

David Gourdis is a key position player from Subiaco (WAFL)who was dropped off the Tigers' main list from 2008 but then taken back as a rookie with pick 24.

“When he came to us he didn’t really know a great deal about what the AFL was all about, but he’s matured significantly over the course of the year.

“The improvement in his understanding of the work ethic and need to constantly train at your best has been a credit to him.

“He’s exceptionally quick, exceptionally quick – he could match it with the best of our quick players, and with his size at 193cm, and also his body size, he just gives us another option."

Richmond's third selection, Murray Bushrangers ruckman Andrew Browne, is a player Jackson is excited about.

“He’s going to take a bit of development time – he’s a 204.5cm ruckman from Mansfield who played for Vic Country in the championships,

“We think we’ll be able to build his body – he’s quite skilful, he kicks the footy well and he’s a very good contested mark.”

But there’s no doubt who had to trek the furthest to visit the hallowed turf at Punt Rd.

“Alroy Gilligan’s our last pick. I was really keen to get Alroy here to see how he fitted into the AFL environment. I tracked him down on draft day, when he wasn’t drafted, and he was at home in his community, which is 200km from Fitzroy Crossing (in Western Australia’s far north).

“It took him 25 hours from the time he left his community to when I picked him up at the airport.

“Alroy played with the Claremont colts this year, he’s a very, very quick forward who has quite good endurance and he has a good work ethic.”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsid=70928

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2008, 03:26:50 AM »
Youtube footage of all our 2008 trade and National, Preseason and rookie drafts recruits:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJBcQb4RT8w

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2008, 10:10:34 PM »
Youtube footage of all our 2008 trade and National, Preseason and rookie drafts recruits:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJBcQb4RT8w

I like the look of that bloke from the Eagles :scream
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2008, 01:46:06 AM »
Some more pics from the Herald-Sun of Cousins' first training session....

http://www.newsphotos.com.au/SearchResults.asp?PageAction=SimpleSearch&QueryText=Richmond