Author Topic: Robin Nahas [merged]  (Read 34382 times)

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Rookie Pick 8: Robin Nahas
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2008, 03:56:15 PM »
Not Sure on this guy, is good at VFL level but I'm not sure if he will cut it at senior level. I guess we need to but a bit of faith in our recuiters.

I would personally have considered a couple of kids like De- Borg (sic) Sidoasa (sic) but lets hope our recruiters have done their research.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2008, 04:02:24 PM »
Not Sure on this guy, is good at VFL level but I'm not sure if he will cut it at senior level. I guess we need to but a bit of faith in our recuiters.

I would personally have considered a couple of kids like De- Borg (sic) Sidoasa (sic) but lets hope our recruiters have done their research.

Have seemed to make all the right decisions with the trades and draft choices over the last few years so I have faith they did with Nahas too. Have to agree with you regarding size etc though. Seems an outside chance at best at first glance. Time will tell Paddyboy! ;)

Stripes

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2008, 05:00:27 PM »
ROBIN NAHAS - PICK 8
Height: 176cm
Weight: 67kg

A 21-year-old from the Port Melbourne Football Club. As an 18-year-old, Nahas played for Vic Metro in the National Carnival and represented Oakleigh Chargers in the TAC competition. He represented the VFL against SA in Adelaide this year where he kicked four goals. He had an outstanding season with Port Melbourne, kicking 50 goals. He has very good defensive skills and is an excellent tackler.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/News/NewsArticle/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsId=70905

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Rockin Robin off to Richmond (Caulfield-Glen Eira Leader)
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2008, 03:05:38 AM »
Rockin Robin off to Richmond
Caulfield-Glen Eira Leader
16 Dec 08 by Paul Amy

AS he contemplated his future as a Richmond rookie on Tuesday morning, an emotional “Rockin” Robin Nahas took care to praise Port Melbourne’s contribution to his rise to AFL ranks.

“It wouldn’t be possible, it wouldn’t be happening, without Port,’’ Nahas, 21, told the Leader 30 minutes after his selection.

“(Coach) Gary Ayres, (senior player) John Baird, they really got on to me this year, pushed me up, they were fantastic.

“‘Bairdy’ pulled my head in halfway through the year and said, ‘Do you want to play AFL football?’ Well, OK, you’ve really got to step it up and do this and this and this.

“He’s a massive part of this. Everyone at Port is. That’s the sad part, that I’ll have to leave Port.’’

Nahas watched the rookie draft on the Internet and said he sat stunned when the Tigers took him at Number 8.

He had spoken to Richmond officials last Thursday.

“This is ridiculous. I really don’t know what to say. Speechless, to be honest.

“My mum, she’s over the moon. She’s so happy right now.’’

Nahas joined Port Melbourne from the Oakleigh Chargers three years ago, immediately impressing with his explosive pace and poise.

This season under the experienced Ayres he took his game to a loftier level, winning the Frank Johnson Medal as Victoria’s best player in the state game against the SANFL and the VFL’s Fothergill Round Medal as the “most likely’’ player in the league.

Ayres said Nahas’s selection was a reward for his diligence.

“We’re just rapt for him,’’ he said.

“People away from the football club wouldn’t know how hard he’s worked to get to this point. He thoroughly deserves this.’’

At 174cm, Nahas will be among the shortest player on AFL lists next year.

But Ayres said that in his discussions with AFL recruiters this year, his right-footer’s size had never been mentioned.

“We worked extremely hard on putting out a profile on what he could actually do well,’’ he said.

Nahas will play for Richmond’s affiliate, the Coburg Tigers, in the VFL next year.

http://caulfield-glen-eira-leader.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/rockin-robin-off-to-richmond/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Rookie Robin Nahas' need for speed (RFC)
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2009, 08:23:59 PM »
Rookie Robin's need for speed
richmondfc.com.au
By Mic Cullen
3:14 PM Thu 12 February, 2009

SMALL, but lightning quick. Good eye for a goal. What's not to like?

Robin Nahas was selected by Richmond with its first pick at last year's NAB AFL Rookie Draft, but would have gone even earlier in the day if not for a certain B. Cousins taking the Tigers' only pre-season draft pick.

A stellar 2008 saw the 21-year-old clock the half-ton for Port Melbourne in the VFL, win the Frank Johnson Medal as Victoria's best player in the state game against the SANFL and also snare the VFL's Rising Star equivalent, the Fothergill-Round Medal.

The year was capped off when the Tigers took him at number eight overall in the rookie draft.

Nahas said his time at Port under coach Gary Ayres was the catalyst for selection into AFL ranks.

"Ayresy was really good to me this year – he played me as a small forward," he told richmondfc.com.au. "I kicked 50 goals this year, and I think most of it has to do with Gary and the way he coached  – he played me to my strengths.

"It was good to get nominated and end up winning it (the Fothergill-Round Medal), but all year it was mainly due to the success of the team that let me come through.

"The better the team plays, the better the individual plays, especially if you're a forward.

"My asset is my leg speed – he played me up forward and [I was] pretty lucky."

Nahas has played in the midfield, but says his natural position is as a small forward.
"I'm definitely a forward – I really enjoy chasing and tackling, and it's the sort of thing that anybody can do, so it's a good thing to have.

"It's my consistency – I'm not there to get 20 touches a game – I'm there to chase and tackle and take my opportunities."

At 176cm and 67kg he's clearly in the smaller bracket, but he's lightning quick, another speedster in a club that is already blessed with pace, although he's not sure of the actual stats.

"I wouldn't have a clue – I haven't done any testing. I'm just a newbie, but a couple of the boys have said I'm as quick as they've seen.

"But Matty White and Daniel Jackson? They're elite – they're as elite as they come. (Jackson and White ran 10:02 and 10:03 respectively around Princes Park last week.)

"I'm very lucky to get a chance to play AFL football at my size, so I'm going to take it with both hands."

While the VFL has been a terrific environment to play in, Nahas said the opportunities to improve at the top level were much greater.

"You're playing football all week, and that's your job, so there's not outside influences where, in the VFL for instance, you work during the day, and then at five o'clock you go to training and you're a bit tired and not all there.

"But you come here, and you know 'this is what you've got to do', and you do it to the best of your ability every time you're here, because this is your job."

http://richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/default.aspx?newsid=72044

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Rookie Robin Nahas' need for speed (RFC)
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2009, 09:01:16 PM »
God I hope this kid gets a chance from the start of the season. The club has to put Polak on the Long Term Injury List to allow Nahas an opportunity to play in our forwardline. We need a Davey-type small forward who can crumb and create goals but most importantly apply defensive pressure and keep the ball inside our F50.

Keeping Polak on the list so he can play a game or two for Coburg and keep his spirits up is not a good enough reason for mine to keep Nahas out of the team. Polak will not play regardless for the first half of the season at the least so why not use the opportunity to elevate Nahas?

We have been crying out for a genuine crumber and here we have possibly found one. Coupled with the fact he can run opposition defenders down, tackle and cause turnovers around our goals, he could be a tremendous asset playing at the feet of our taller forwards.

Hope we make the right decision and he gets a chance. How he plays this Sunday will be a big factor in this decision so for his sake I hope he plays out of his skin!

Stripes

Offline F0551L

• One Eyed Richmond Gold member "eat em alive" Marching on to Victory in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Strong and Bold
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2009, 10:11:33 PM »
at just 67 kg    :gobdrop he will need to  if the freo doctor gets in early he maybe out of the ground and 1/2 way to kalgoorlie  before the end of the 1st 1/4  :rollin
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 05:43:29 PM by 632 RFC »
EAT EM ALIVE 2016 TIGERS

Retired to the Bench

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2009, 11:12:09 PM »
I think Id rather have pettifer on the LTIL than GP

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2009, 01:29:47 AM »
Robin Nahas i really hope shows something. If he can kick two goals per match. he would be very valuable!

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2009, 09:59:24 AM »

At 176cm and 67kg he's clearly in the smaller bracket, but he's lightning quick, another speedster in a club that is already blessed with pace, although he's not sure of the actual stats.

How things have changed

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Polak onto long-term injury list and career in limbo / Nahas promoted (Age)
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2009, 02:27:57 AM »
Polak's career in limbo as Tigers look at Nahas
Caroline Wilson | February 17, 2009

RICHMOND is looking to place Graham Polak on its long-term injury list on the eve of the 2009 season and promote its VFL rookie Robin Nahas, whose progress since he came to Tigerland has been likened to that of Aaron Davey at Melbourne.

The prevailing view regarding Polak, who sustained a severe brain injury when he was hit by a tram last year, is that the 24-year-old defender remains unable to play competitive elite football other than in a controlled situation.

Richmond had sought, but was refused, special permission from the AFL Commission to rookie-list Polak in the manner that Essendon had with Adam Ramanauskas while the wingman was recovering from cancer. Although he has progressed better than expected, Polak faces a massive challenge to return even to the Coburg side.

The Tigers' dilemma is that an eight-week stint on the long-term injury list would prevent Polak from even contesting a VFL reserves game. The other obvious choice remains Kayne Pettifer who is recovering from a serious knee injury, but the club believes Pettifer is progressing well and could be available in the opening quartile of 2009.

Nahas, 21, was the player the Tigers had planned to take in the pre-season draft — not rookie David Gourdis as most other clubs believed — before it controversially took a plunge on Ben Cousins. Coach Terry Wallace and his team were quietly elated when the speedy midfielder-forward remained available for the club in the rookie draft.

He came to the club with a groin problem but his quick recovery and impressive pre-season ensured Nahas was selected for Sunday night's NAB Cup clash against Fremantle, in which the Port Melbourne recruit levelled the scores during the third quarter at Subiaco with a running goal from his first kick.

Winner of the Fothergill-Round Medal — the award for the best young player in the VFL — Nahas came heavily recommended to Wallace from his Hawthorn premiership teammate Gary Ayres.

So impressed has Wallace been by the youngster, that Nahas remains a chance for selection in the round one season-opener against Carlton at the MCG on March 26.

Polak began training in November last year after the accident, which saw him placed in an induced coma. He was in hospital for more than a month and remains under weekly scrutiny by Epworth Hospital medical staff.

Although his progress has been remarkable since then — Polak contested an intra-club practice match at Gosch's Paddock earlier this month — his ability to recover from an intense workout remains an issue and significant doubt prevails as to whether he could contest a senior VFL game this year.

Polak flew to Perth with the Tigers for their NAB Cup opener and spoke at the club's function there on Friday night where he received an emotional welcome and more applause than any other player including Matthew Richardson or Ben Cousins.

AFL boss Andrew Demetriou had backed the Tigers' bid to place Polak on the rookie list during the lead-up to the Cousins drafting, but the bid was rejected by the commission and the clubs.

Polak's manager, Paul Connors, would not comment on situation last night.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/polaks-career-in-limbo/2009/02/16/1234632736082.html

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Polak onto long-term injury list and career in limbo / Nahas promoted (Age)
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2009, 07:21:52 AM »
Caro... A good article one day, melodrama the next

There is absolutely nothing in this article that we didn't already know ......

The only person that really needs to "READ" this articel is one D Barrett who maybe just maybe might understand why the Tigers wanted to put Polak on the rookie list.... but then again it's still probably wasted on him
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2009, 08:21:25 AM »
Caro... A good article one day, melodrama the next

There is absolutely nothing in this article that we didn't already know ......

The only person that really needs to "READ" this articel is one D Barrett who maybe just maybe might understand why the Tigers wanted to put Polak on the rookie list.... but then again it's still probably wasted on him

Thanks WP.  Saved me the trouble of launching into another diatribe against that biased wanker.  Oh gee, maybe the Tigers weren't being as dishonourable as we reported and gee, maybe they did have a valid point.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2009, 08:28:42 AM »
i cant believe they would still entertain the idea of Pettifer in the seniors.

He is fu.... rubbish FFS. I cant stand the sight of him as an AFL footballer.

Some of you talk about BOwden being selfish bla bla bla well if u look up the word in the dictionary there is a photo of Pathetic Pettifer in there.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2009, 09:49:46 AM »
Looks like Nahas will play a heap of footy for us this year.