Author Topic: Andrew Browne [merged]  (Read 21239 times)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Andrew Browne to debut
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2009, 10:57:41 PM »
How was Gus' body language, pretty massive hit to his hopes in general.
TA, we thought Gus looked a bit down not surprisingly as he walked over with Putty near to where we were sitting. It'll hurt but you'd rather be overlooked for round 1 than a GF side or cop a season ending injury so although it's a test of character for him there are worse things that can happen to you in footy and as the cliche goes there's always next week if he puts his hand up at Coburg on Saturday.

Well, he was useless a fortnight ago and so far he has done nothing to suggest he is even remotely up to AFL standard, so really it's bad luck if that upsets him.  If he's going to be any good then he will do what it takes to put his hand up otherwise "don't give up your day job".  I love what competition for spots does for a team.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2009, 07:27:16 AM »
lets hope browne can 1 day get to the standard of another rookie ruckman taken by craig cameron about 7 years ago. A young man taken in the rookie draft by the name of Darren Jolly. CC has form ;)

So does one Francis Jackson....
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

richmondrules

« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2009, 08:19:51 AM »
How was Gus' body language, pretty massive hit to his hopes in general.
TA, we thought Gus looked a bit down not surprisingly as he walked over with Putty near to where we were sitting. It'll hurt but you'd rather be overlooked for round 1 than a GF side or cop a season ending injury so although it's a test of character for him there are worse things that can happen to you in footy and as the cliche goes there's always next week if he puts his hand up at Coburg on Saturday.

I feel sorry for him but unfortunately for Gus, if there is a better option, then the better option has to be picked.

Could be the making or breaking of him.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2009, 01:36:37 PM »
Gus is a shocking footballer

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2009, 06:20:37 PM »
Well done to BrownEy not it's official. Good luck for tomorrow night. He'll have a 2 inch height advantage over the Blues' ruckmen.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2009, 06:38:40 PM »
Congratulations (again) Andrew Browne!

just amazing how he got to this position isn't it?

just fantastic!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Wallace hails tyro Browne (RFC)
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2009, 07:19:31 PM »
Wallace hails tyro Browne
richmondfc.com.au
By Jennifer Witham Wed 25 March, 2009

RICHMOND coach Terry Wallace believes the sudden rise of young ruckman Andrew Browne is a "great story", with the former Murray Bushranger going from a developing rookie to a round one starter this week.

Browne, 18, was selected by the Tigers with pick 39 in the 2009 NAB AFL Rookie Draft last December and thrown an opportunity with his new side in week three of the NAB Challenge series.

The poise and composure the ruckman showed in his two summer hit-outs prompted Richmond to elevate him to senior status this week, and for the coaching staff to name him in the team to face Carlton on Thursday night at the MCG.

"It's a great story for a young player who two or three weeks ago wasn't in our consideration or on our radar for a round one selection," Wallace said on the eve of the season opener.

"We picked him up later in the rookie draft as a ruckman and he got an opportunity in round three of the NAB Cup when we played all our young players.

"It wasn't that he had done anything particularly special up until that stage. He had been going along adequately.

"He performed really well in NAB three so we took him along to NAB four and he did a good job in that game as well, so we've decided to give him the opportunity to play."

Wallace said he doesn't expect his players to be overawed by the sell-out crowd and big stage mentality surrounding Thursday night's game, which will now be broadcast live into Melbourne on Channel 10.

"We've had a few of these. We had a dress rehearsal last year with a big game and a big build up, but this has been bigger again," he said.

"We expected the huge crowd, we expected the massive build-up and it hasn't let us down from that aspect.

"We're just hoping that both sides put on a great display for the people. It's wonderful to see the people of Victoria come out and support what's a fantastic game and we're really looking forward to it."

He also said the Tigers are expecting Carlton spearhead Brendan Fevola to play despite the bruised heel he picked up in the Blues' final practice match in Bunbury.

"With the type of injury he's got, you can jab them and put some local in," he said.

"We would expect him to play. He hasn't had the perfect build-up in relation to being able to train for the last week and a half fully, but good players overcome these things."

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/73726/default.aspx

Ramps

« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2009, 07:32:50 PM »
I hope he cleans up a couple of blues, thatll make us proud of him.

Offline 3121

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2009, 08:47:18 PM »
Good luck to AB.  Terry is going into this game with a raw kid and a dinasour if it works he will be congratulated, if we lose he will be burnt by the masses.  I just hope AB plays a cracker which would put immense pressure on Putt, Vickery, Gus and Pattison (whom I don't see as a genuine ruckman), however it should make those 4 work even harder to crack it in the team.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2009, 02:59:18 AM »
Good luck to Jaffa. Hope he does well. :thumbsup

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2009, 05:49:17 AM »
What did we all think of BrownE?

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2009, 08:48:03 AM »
What did we all think of BrownE?

First quarter was absolutely terrible in every way. Wasn't winning hitouts, was basically invisible and didn't contest when the ball hit the ground, let his opponent win the ball easily when he could have created a 50-50, couldn't catch, perpetually off balance and fumbling (certainly not alone).

Second quarter he started to look like he was settling a bit.

By that time it was 12:30 and I had to be up at 5:30 so I didn't watch Q3 and Q4.

I'm hoping to hear that he continued to play better, but I struggle to understand how the match committee could think he was ready for this game ???

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2009, 08:51:47 AM »
I'm hoping to hear that he continued to play better, but I struggle to understand how the match committee could think he was ready for this game ???
I think it's more to do with the fact that he was better than any alternative

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2009, 09:02:12 AM »
I think it's more to do with the fact that he was better than any alternative

Thats a pretty damning indictment on Putt and Graham, who I confess I havent seen play for the 'burgers

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2009, 09:17:01 AM »
Not a great deal, looked to suffer from nerves or inexperience and IMO played exactly as TBJ said, the fumbles were the most frustrating part.

In the second half I think he played a darn sight better, but as it was in comparison to his first half that is not saying much.