Author Topic: Jason McCartney's Draft Discussion  (Read 2562 times)

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Jason McCartney's Draft Discussion
« on: November 20, 2009, 06:24:21 PM »
Happened to be home today for the draft discussion with Jason McCartney on the AFL site. He didnt answer a lot of questions so i had time to cut and paste the ones he did;

Is Andrew Hooper a chance in the draft or just possible rookie. has done everything right even at 172cm
  Hi Steve - Hooper has been phenomenal. You can't ask for any more than what he's given. He's been All-Australian and I think he's given him a real chance to get drafted late or definitely as a rookie. There are a lot of small forwards in the AFL now and you need a defender to play on them. I really hope he gets a chance.

Hi Jason, do you think Daniel Talia has the ability to develop into a foward. 
 Hi Lee - yes Talia played very well down back but I've seen him play some excellent footy up forward. There's a lot to like about Daniel because he has a real presence about him and can change a game off his own boot.

Theres been a lot said about butchers kicking, is a technical flaw or a concentration problem? 
  Hi Al - Butcher suffers a bit like Daniel Rich did last year. The longer they're on the shelf the more people pick holes in their game. Fundamentally there's nothing wrong with his kicking. He might have slid a little bit but in my opinion he's still the best key position player in the draft.

Who would you say is the best SA lad, after Jack Trengove? 
 Hi Matty - After Trengove I like Luke Tapscott who was All-Australian U18 and is a very powerful midfield-forward with exceptional hands.

Is there room for a 'natural' footy player like Serhat Temel in the AFL anymore? I really like the kid. 
 Hi Ron - I would think Serhat has given himself a great opportunity with the way he played in the TAC Cup finals. His contested marking is outstanding. He didn't test welll at state screening but I think there's definitely a place in our game for someone who can mark like he does.

Hi Jason, your view on Callum Bartlett as an early second rounder?
  Hi Chris and Pykie - it's an interesting one. There's a lot of guys popping up who didn't play in the champs. He's a goal-kicking midfielder who wins his own footy and is an excellent kick. He had a pres-eason acl injury but he presented fantastically well at the draft camp

Whats your view on Kyle Hartigan? Will he get drafted?
  Kyle was in the AIS-AFL Academy and he's a strong key defender. He tested at the state screening and I would think he would be a later selection but there's a lot to work with there. He has excellent physical attributes and he's an impressive young man.

Can James Craig play ruck in the afl or even key defence. And is he likely to play much senior footy next year
  Hi Jeremy - James Craig rucked in the U18 champs and at 195 cm he has a tremendous vertical leap. At his size previously I would have said he would be more suited to a key position, but I think he can ruck a bit given the way the game has gone. I think he could definitely play some senior footy next year. Had the third highest vertical leap of all time behind Croad and Naitanui.

On pure potential how does Max Gawn compare to the best young ruckmen drafted in the last few years, Leunenberger, kreuzer, Ryder, Wood etc
  Hi Jeremy - he hurt his knee before the Champs so he didn't represent Vic Metro but he jumped to prominence in the TAC Cup where he kicked 5 goals in a game. At his size (207 cm) he is a good mark overhead which is very attractive to clubs. He also has the longest arms we tested so if he stretches to take the ball at the highest point not many will get near him.

Jason, what do you think of Josh Thomas?
  Hi Guest - Josh Thomas is a classy midfielder who wins plenty of contested ball. He has clean hands is an elite kick on both sides of his body.

Thoughts on Josh Donaldson as a ruckman??
  Hi Guest - Donaldson rucked in the U18 champs and he's very athletic and can play a variety of roles. He has excellent agility, but I feel he might be more of a key position prospect.

Gary Rohan is certainly one of the x-factors of the draft. Do you believe he has plenty of development and upside, what position do you see him playing and how certain is he to make it as an AFL player?
  Hi Troy - I would say Gary has a lot of development and a big upside. He only stepped into the TAC Cup program this year and before that he was at Cobden. He's a half-forward who you'd like to see get into the middle eventually with his elite speed.

Jason, Who out of this years draft pool do you think is ready for round 1 action?
  Hi Clint - there's definitely a lot more boys stepping up early on. Scully and Trengove will probably play round one and they won't be the only ones. I would think at least 15 to 20 per cent will be ready to play some sort of role early.

Jason, what's your views on alex carey?
  Hi wak - Alex is an SA lad who was in the Academy two years ago. He's a really skillful inside midfielder who is an excellent decision maker. He's also an excellent cricketer by the way. Really good wicket keeper!

Hello Jason. what do you think of a kid called Ryan Bastinac? I'd love him at the Bombers with our second pick
  Hi Brad and Nutty - Ryan Bastinac is an inside midfielder who is very smart. He was a standout with his vision and awareness. He kicks the ball very well on both sides of his body also.

can you tell us about ayden kennedy? his draft camp testing looked like it was nuts!
  Hi Morrie - Ayden at 192 cm he's an athletic half-forward who is really good on a lead and overhead. His field kicking and goal kicking are also strong parts of his game. He showed he can also play defence in the latter half of the year but he was the quickest lad at the camp over 20 m with a 2.88.

Jase mate, what about craig pitt, BOG in U/18 sanfl GF for glenelg and state player this year . Any thoughts?
  Hi Pops - Craig is an inside midfielder who is an excellent clearance player. He is very tenacious and brings excellent intensity to a contest. Endurance is one his key attribute

kane Lucas?
  Kane Lucas is another Academy graduate. I was quite impressed with him this year. He played mostly half-forward and through the middle and added a few more strings to his bow although goal kicking can let him down at times. He presented outstandingly well at draft camp. Good ball winner.

hey jas i just wanted to knoe about Joe Dare
  Hi John - Joe Dare is a 190 cm player who has great versatility. Good reader of the play with strong hands. Put up some excellent numbers in the TAC Cup with a disposal efficiency rating of 77 per cent.

What are your thoughts on Dylan Shiel and Tomas Bugg in the recent AIS/AFL academy?
  Hi Baz - Bugg is very much an inside mid, very good clearance player.   Shiel has a penetrating left foot and plays back and in the middle. Both will come under strong consideration from the GWS next year. Have a feeling Baz might know both of them somehow!

Hey Jason do you think Majak Daw will be picked?
  Hi Daniel - Majak might go late but if not definitely as a rookie. He's a wonderful athlete at 194 cm with an amazing natural leap. He's still learning the game but his improvement in the second half of the year was quite dramatic. Rose to prominence when he licked five goals in a TAC Cup match late in the season. It will be a wonderful story if he does get up.

I watched jake Melksham highlights from the final, is he an absolute gun or was it a one off game?
  Hi Gerard - definitely not a one for Jake who was outstanding all through the finals. He had OP in his Academy year. He wins a lot of his own ball but can also play outside. He has outstanding endurance and agility to boot. I would think he would be a top 10 prospect.

Hi jason, what are your thoughts on lewis jetta 
  Hi Peter - Lewis is lightning quick player who can play a variety of positions. He is a prototypical AFL player physically. He is still lightly-built but having played senior WAFL he will transition quite quickly.

what are your thoughts on Dustin Martin??
  Hi Richo Man - Dustin was outstanding for Vic Country. Onballer with great skills on both sides, good overhead with a mature body that will allow him to play very early if given the opportunity. Second for speed at the camp along with a 14.1 beep. Also equal second in the kicking test.

Hey Jason, do you think Jack Fitzpatrick will be drafted?
  HI Daniel - Fitzpatrick will get drafted. He is extremely quick and won the repeat sprints at the camp. He is strong overhead and looked good playing ruck this year. His goal kicking needs a bit of work. Has a big upside given that he has battled Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

Thoughts on Nat Fyfe
  Hi Jake - Nat is a WA lad who is very smart with good goal sense. He reads the game very well. Has excellent endurance with a 14.7 beep and was in the top 15 per cent in the running vertical jump. Kicked four goals in one of the champ games.

hey jason what do you think about myles Pitts chance of getting drafted from Dandenong stingrays?
  Hi Billy - Myles is a 191 cm lad with a strong build. He works really hard and continually leads up. Played well in the TAC Cup GF. Hard to say on draft chances.

Opinion on Daniel Scott -Collings?
  Hi Rob - Daniel Scott-Collings is another SA boy. He's a dashing wingman who rarely fumbles. Smart footballer. Agility, power and spring are his strongest physical attributes.

What do you know of Harley Bennell from Peel thunder in WA colts
  Hi Guest - Harley is an exciting prospect who can play forward and back. He's not in this draft pool though.

what do you think of Tim Golds in the currwent AIS AFL Academy??
  Hi deccaA - Goldy plays on the wing and has great athleticism. About 190/191 cm good athlete who is progressing nicely

Jason, do you think that this year's draft is as weak as what critics are saying ? i have noticed this year there are alot of strong midfielders and not as many top qaulity KP's .. is that a fair assumption ?
  Hi Matt - in regards to the draft pool the reality is that with the age going up we're missing about 20 per cent of the pool we've had in other years. At the high end it is a strong midfield draft, but there is still a lot of talent there. Without the 17-year-olds there is a gap but that's to be expected.

Lots of Black talk Jase have u an opinion of him??
  Hi Smithy - On Aaron Black from Peel Thunder he's an athletic key forward who is a terrific mark. He started in the Colts and worked through to the seniors very quickly. At 192 cm he was in the top 10 per cent in the vertical jump and in the top 25 per cent for repeat speed - key elements for the position he plays.

jason what are you thoughts on gronwegen from tassie
  Hi Domonic - Joseph Groenewegen is a mobile ruckman at 196 cm with good aglity. He's good at ground level as well. He had a bit of trouble with his groin this year so it's hard to draw a line on his form. Did enough in a few games to make the clubs take notice though.

Do u think David Mirra likely to be drafted. he had an excellent season with Eastern
  Hi Mary - David Mirra is a goal-kicking wingman who can play a variety of positions. Strong overhead and has good upside being relatively new to the game. Good power and vertical leap

What are your thoughts on Troy Taylor?
  Hi Chris - Troy Taylor has got some freakish natural talent. Extremely agile, one-touch player who is also a strong mark. Has rangy natural spring and athleticism. Could have gone to the Gold Coast but chose to go into the draft.

Can you tell us a bit about Griffiths the key forward? He has good height but it sounds like he might be a bit injury prone.
  Hi Beno and D-Rod - Ben Griffiths is a power forward who is rarely beaten in the air. He is an exceptional kick for goal especially from long range. He did have a lot of injuries this year but at 199 cm clubs will be willing to take a punt on him. He monstered NSW in a game up in Sydney.

Casboult?
  Hi Mark - Levi Casboult is a tall forward who is a fantastic overhead mark. One-on-one marking is the key to his game. He has good 20 m speed at 3.04 for a lad of 198 and 103 kg and kicked 41 goals for the Stingrays.   

How do you rate Cachia from the Knights?
  Hi Ben and Johnno - On Cachia he is a tough inside midfielder. Top ten in the TAC Cup for clearances and contested possession. Tested at 2.95 over 20 m at the state screening. His endurance is also sound and he makes good decisions under pressure. He's given himself a definite chance as a late to rookie pick. Couldn't have done much more.

Hi Jason - any good players to come out of NSW this Draft - thanks
  Hi David - On NSW certainly. Dylan McNeil won the Div 2 Meal at the Champs and is All-Australian. He won the B&F at the Bushrangers and captained NSW. Attacking midfielder who is very courageous and will run all day. Jordan Williams is a left-footed midfielder/winger with good endurance who tested well. They're probably the top two.

what are your thoughts on jake carlisle
  Hi Winty - Jake Carlisle is a very versatile player who reads the play well and is a good mark. He was restricted at draft camp with a back injury from the GF the week before. He took 18 marks in a game at TAC Cup level. An exciting prospect who is relatively new to the game.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 06:52:00 PM by one-eyed »
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Jason McCartney's Draft Discussion
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 08:52:33 PM »
Cheers for al  :cheers

Griffiths is definitely looking like someone who may be around at pick 19 who suits our needs. Hopefully he gets over his injuries in time if we do take him and he proved to be a steal.

If Temel didn't test well at the state screening then it seems he'll be a late pick. He could even slip to the rookie draft if he was found to be slow off the mark and not agile. I'm not sure why all the draft camp results aren't released to the public rather than just a top 10 in each category. The results are hardly crown or military secrets and all the clubs see them anyway so there's no disadvantage.

Jason, do you think that this year's draft is as weak as what critics are saying ? i have noticed this year there are alot of strong midfielders and not as many top qaulity KP's .. is that a fair assumption ?
  Hi Matt - in regards to the draft pool the reality is that with the age going up we're missing about 20 per cent of the pool we've had in other years. At the high end it is a strong midfield draft, but there is still a lot of talent there. Without the 17-year-olds there is a gap but that's to be expected.
A good year to have a priority pick inside the top 20  :(
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Ramps

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 09:02:12 PM »
Cheers for al  :cheers

Griffiths is definitely looking like someone who may be around at pick 19 who suits our needs. Hopefully he gets over his injuries in time if we do take him and he proved to be a steal.

If Temel didn't test well at the state screening then it seems he'll be a late pick. He could even slip to the rookie draft if he was found to be slow off the mark and not agile. I'm not sure why all the draft camp results aren't released to the public rather than just a top 10 in each category. The results are hardly crown or military secrets and all the clubs see them anyway so there's no disadvantage.

A good year to have a priority pick inside the top 20  :(

Temel is imho a VFL standard player. A Griffiths McGinty led forward line will take Richmond to its next flag  :lol

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 11:45:58 PM »
A Griffiths McGinty led forward line will take Richmond to its next flag  :lol
If we actually end up with this kid on our list you should become his player sponsor lol.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Ramps

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 11:42:19 AM »
A Griffiths McGinty led forward line will take Richmond to its next flag  :lol
If we actually end up with this kid on our list you should become his player sponsor lol.

Instead of me paying for his player sponsorship he should be paying me for the PR exercise  ;D