Author Topic: Jordan McMahon - 2009 expectations?  (Read 2202 times)

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Jordan McMahon - 2009 expectations?
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2009, 12:23:55 PM »
Tackles - 1.6

Says a lot.

For him to impress me this year he obviously needs to lay at least 6 punishing tackles a match...at least!
That's pretty much impossible unless you're an inside midfielder. In fact only Brett Kirk averaged more than 6 tackles a game last year and only barely at that. I can hardly see a back flanker or winger doing it, I'd say it's never been done in the history of the game.

McMahon layed FAR more tackles than Lindsay Gilbee last year, in fact 50% more with less games played.

get out of his behind will ya?

Jordy this Jordy that. allright already.

next your going to tell me he was our best recruit by the length of the straight.

give it up he is rubbish
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2009, 01:16:32 PM »
Tackles - 1.6

Says a lot.

For him to impress me this year he obviously needs to lay at least 6 punishing tackles a match...at least!
That's pretty much impossible unless you're an inside midfielder. In fact only Brett Kirk averaged more than 6 tackles a game last year and only barely at that. I can hardly see a back flanker or winger doing it, I'd say it's never been done in the history of the game.

McMahon layed FAR more tackles than Lindsay Gilbee last year, in fact 50% more with less games played.

next your going to tell me he was our best recruit by the length of the straight.

give it up he is rubbish

Let's not let facts get in the way of a personal bias hey Daniel!

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2009, 01:56:48 PM »
fact is we do not need another player who CANT lay tackles, CANT put on weight and is a defensive type of player.

You got me here, are you saying you dont need defenders or that Jordan is a defensive type even for being a defender. 

I thought you would have to classify him as an attacking defender, he certainly uses run and carry (and yes I know there are questions on his effectiveness)

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2009, 02:12:04 PM »
Tackles - 1.6

Says a lot.

give it up he is rubbish
You couldn't be more wrong, although you're probably used to that

I was NOT happy with the pick we gave up to get him and I'm pretty confident that when Selwood AND Rance slipped down to that pick that they knew they paid too much, I don't think it'll happen again, however we should have learnt our lesson before that. He was a player we didn't need more of his type and we still had too many deficiencies that needed replacing with high picks.

HOWEVER

I'd just like a little perspective. Despite his flaws, he does have some ability and he's playing his role as a fast link man out of defence who is there to break the lines. I agree that some of his clangers are terrible, but his kicking efficiency is one of the highest in the AFL. He doesn't do the safe "Joel Bowden" thing and kick sideways to a free player, he is trying to take the opposition on and be damaging. This will always result in some turnovers as it's a more high risk option and if the players up field aren't leading into space then he will have to kick to a contest.

Expecting a player like McMahon to have a high tackle count is pretty silly as it's not his job. That doesn't excuse him from avoiding a contest or giving up a chase, but it does mean that's not his primary focus. As I said in my last post, he has far more tackles than Lindsay Gilbee who is considered one of the best HBFs in the game.

I know stats don't tell everything, however in 2008 we can compare the two

McMahon 22 Game 313 Kick 130 Mark 191 HBall 504 Disp 6 Goal 7 Behind 36 Tack
L Gilbee 24 Games 352 Kick 112 Mark 157 HBall 509 Disp 14 Goal 8 Behind 24 Tack

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2009, 11:53:16 AM »
I know stats don't tell everything

You're right about that.