Author Topic: Coburg vs Northern Bullants practice match - Sat 28th March  (Read 2342 times)

Offline Ball!

• Future Richmond star
Re: Coburg vs Northern Bullants practice match - Sat 28th March
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2009, 05:02:22 PM »
Coburg (dressed in Richmond training tops) played the Bullant's at Princess Park today. It was an excellent day but certaintly got hot around 2 or so.

Ressies
I got there around 12.30 to catch the end of the ressies match. The only RFC boys I could see playing were Cleve Hughes and Alroy Gilligan. Gilligan look a bit lethagic and makes Nahas look like a giant. He had a really nice run through the middle but only had 2 or 3 touches for what I saw. Hughes was better. He worked hard at ground level for a couple of nice handballs and took a nice contested mark 25m out which he kicked. His most impressive play was a when he got the ground level contest ball in the pocket and kicked his second for the quater. By the way they came off and the run of play in the final quater it looked like Coburg lost

Seniors
As for the for the main stuff, the RFC listed players who played were:
- Vickery
- JON
- Hislop
- Polo
- Rance
- Coughlan (about 70% gametime)
- Polak (second half only)
- Gourdis
- King
- Silverster
- Pattison
- Graham

Adam Thompson didn't play but I saw him their with a few other RFC boys including Conners (didn't have any bandages on his finger), McGuane, Deledio, Moore, Browne, Morton, Schultz, etc. Morton and Browne were the only ones keen enough to walk in the stands, fair enough.

1st Quater
Coburg started with a tall foward line including Post, Vickery, Gourdis and Patto at CHF. Vickery, Hislop and Gourdis missed a couple of soda's before Nahas scored the teams first. Hislop then converted his first and started to look good. Rance and King dominated of halfback and Polo in the middle.

1/4 Time
Coburg 2.3 15

NB 3.2 20
Best for the quater: Polo, Rance, King, Collins

2nd Quater
Coburg fired up after NB kicked the first couple of goals of the quater. King, Collins and a couple of others got into a big scrap in defense but it was Hislop's big tackle on the wing the turned the momentum. Rance had a MASSIVE quater and I am convinced he will play next week and be a 200+ gamer. He runs like a mid but was our biggest kid out there. He just needs a few games at AFL to get a feel for it and to get comfortable. Couglan started to get into the game more in the second quater with a couple of good tackles and some excellent kicking. It was like a different Coughlan, didn't get a heap of the footy, but not a single kicked missed it's target and more important every kick was penetrating. 100% kicking efficiency. Coburg kicked 5 straight goals from some nice work from Hislop, Polo, Nahas, Graham, Patto and JON (yes JON). A very good quater overall.

1/2 TIME
Coburg 7.3 45

Bullants 4.6 30

Best for the Quater: Hislop, King, Nahas, Rance

3rd Quater
Polak came on in the second half for the first time and played at CHF. From the start he was in the thick of the action. Kicked the first goal of the 4th quater from a free kick in the ruck. Nahas then kicked our other two goals of the quater, one from a good pass from Graham and then the other from a play on to a Polak free kick. All in all it was a pretty sluggish quater with most of the boys not doing anything exceptional. Couglan had another good quater

3/4 Time
Coburg 10.4 64
NB 7.8 50

Best for the Quater: Nahas, Graham, Coughlan, Silvester, Polak

4th Quater
Straight away NB went bang, bang and it was a two point game. Silvestor did very well but Rance was beaten a couple of times by Fisher who probably kicked about 3 goals on him in the end, still Rance had a pretty good quater. Pattison and Cogs were rested for the quater and the team looked shot. Polo, Nahas and King tried their hardest but some shocking umpiring and some poor skills ended up seeing NB get over the top. Number 35 (maybe Gourids) kicked Coburgs only goal after a very nice mark in the pocket. A couple of the Coburg boys in Caruso and Horne were good, but a few RFC boys went either missing like Hislop (might have been rested) or just made some shocking errors like Collins. Collo had a solid hitout in the first 3 quaters but his final quater was a shocker. Don't think he hit a target at all. Polak took a couple of nice marks but all in all it was a bad quater for the burgers

Final Score
Coburg 11.6 72
NB 11.14 80

Best: Nahas, Rance, King, Polo, Silvester

* For Carlton fans I noticed notcied playing Fisher, Hartlett, Sentata, Bannister and Walker playing. Didn't really recognise anyone else

After this game I would say that Polo has booked himself drive down to Geelong next week and Rance should also get a gig. King is knocking on the door too. Say what you want about him but at least he smore heart today playing in a 2nd's praccy match then half of our AFL team playing front of 85, 000 round 1 at the G'.

Questions? Ask away

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2009, 05:16:32 PM »
"few other RFC boys including Conners (didn't have any bandages on his finger),"

Connors definitely had a bandage on a finger on his left hand

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2009, 05:43:25 PM »
Great report Ball, excellnt work and thank you. How many weeks away is Cog's away do you think or could he get a call up next week.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Ox

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2009, 05:46:27 PM »
An enjoyable, comprehensive report of the match.
I feel like i saw the stuffen' game.

:thumbsup

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2009, 06:05:08 PM »

I can confirm that Rhett Jordon was on the senior team list I saw (well done to the bullants for supplying team sheets) down to wear number 41 and he did play

:thumbsup

I thought Polo was fantastic, if he doesn't play next week there is something seriously wrong. BOG for mine

Rance: must play next week as Ball! has said was just sensational in the 1st half. Thought he got beated in the 2nd part of the 3rd qtr but finished off the game really well

Hislop: laid one of the best bone crunching tackles I've seen a long long time. Just for that one tackle he deserves a game next week. And here's a tip RFC coahing dept show a tape of that tackle to every single player over and over again and say that is what is expected!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tommy did come off in the last qtr after another bone cruncher, had an ice pack on his shoulder after the game. Just another thing on Tommy, it isn't just his tackling it's the 2nd and 3rd efforts...

JON: good game by JON, hit targets and played as mobile HF target.

King: Jake was good in patches but needs to focus his agression on the ball rather than the man at times

Collins: was good but not great. Steady but had a few turnovers

Silvestor: as always very good, chased down a Bullants speedster and although didn't tackle him to the ground put enough pressure on that made the bloke an easy shot 2o metres out  :clapping

Nahas: kicked a couple of goals and spent time in the mid-field. Very good

Vickery: not great influence. struggled at times with the pace of and reading the game, what I mean by that is that there are times when he really needs to be a moving target and he just seems a bit flat footed

Pattison: played mainly at CHF and for a guy who hasn't played for probably 6 weeks was good and solid. Lacks match fitness clearly

Post: played CHB. solid. takes a good grab but his disposal by foot at times lets him down

Graham: was number 1 ruckman but didn't take enough marks around the ground for mine and didn't get back in the hole across HB (like what Simmonds & Borwne did on Thurs) enough to for mine. When he floated forward twice in the last he went for the mark in the pack instead of creating a block to allow Gourdis a better chance

Gourdis: kicked 1 that i can remember. needs to time his leads better, as he got ignored a few times :P :cheers ;D

Polak: Polly played the 2nd half as a sub. Presented well but had little influence. dropped a few marks but took a few. good thing about Polly is if he doen'st mark it he does bring down in the direction of his team mates

Coughlan: I have deliberately left Cogs to last. I have to say it was the best game of footy I've seen Mark play for a long time and I was impressed. He looks fit, has lost weight and as a result seems to have improved his pace. Kicking was good and his inside work first rate. In couple of weeks he has to be a show for senior selection and last season I never thought I'd say that

From what I got told Hughes, Gilligan & Putt played for Coburg ressies

Fast attacking run & carry footy by both teams. It is a game plan that can work if it is executed properly  :thumbsup ;D

PS: number 3 for Coburg was Damien Rayson  :thumbsup

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2009, 06:14:35 PM »
Great reports Ball! and WP  :clapping  :bow  :cheers

Good to hear Polo played really well.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2009, 08:40:48 PM »
Yep great reports guys, all appreciated.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2009, 11:28:54 PM »
how far is Coughlan, Post from the Richmond Team?

Polo and Rance pencil in?

King, Hislop ? ready for Round 2?

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2009, 07:21:22 AM »
how far is Coughlan, Post from the Richmond Team?

Polo and Rance pencil in?

King, Hislop ? ready for Round 2?

torch no dispresepct intended but have you actually read the entire thread?

this is what i said about the players you mentioned

I thought Polo was fantastic, if he doesn't play next week there is something seriously wrong. BOG for mine

Rance: must play next week as Ball! has said was just sensational in the 1st half. Thought he got beated in the 2nd part of the 3rd qtr but finished off the game really well

Hislop: laid one of the best bone crunching tackles I've seen a long long time. Just for that one tackle he deserves a game next week. And here's a tip RFC coahing dept show a tape of that tackle to every single player over and over again and say that is what is expected!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tommy did come off in the last qtr after another bone cruncher, had an ice pack on his shoulder after the game. Just another thing on Tommy, it isn't just his tackling it's the 2nd and 3rd efforts...

King: Jake was good in patches but needs to focus his agression on the ball rather than the man at times

Post: played CHB. solid. takes a good grab but his disposal by foot at times lets him down

Coughlan: I have deliberately left Cogs to last. I have to say it was the best game of footy I've seen Mark play for a long time and I was impressed. He looks fit, has lost weight and as a result seems to have improved his pace. Kicking was good and his inside work first rate. In couple of weeks he has to be a show for senior selection and last season I never thought I'd say that

SO based on that

IMHO, Polo, Rance & Hislop are "yes" for this week

Post - no needs more time and to work on his disposal

King: Not at this stage

Cogs: didn't play the final qtr needs more match time, but very impressive
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)