Author Topic: Defining Moments  (Read 1146 times)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Defining Moments
« on: April 05, 2009, 09:58:40 AM »
Take out the umpiring and there were a couple of moments yesterday in the final quarter that if we got the option right we get a goal or at least a shot AT goal and in the other we get a disputed ball rather than Geelong getting an easy entry inside 50

Just on the umpiring I mentioned it before but the hands in the back decision not given to JBowden was ghastly & costly, possibly 2 goals up with all the momentum... struth what might of have been

But the others not umpiring related were for me at least

1/ Richo and Nahas -v- Taylor (I think it was) ball is coming in, Richo decides to double back towards goal and leave Nahas to take on the bigger bodied player, who in turn gets brushed away... oh what might have been. Form mine Richo should have gone with the Geelong bloke and created space for Nahas to swoop

2/  and the one that really hurt simply for the message it sent was on the wing near the bench. Edwards was against someone (not sure who) and he just needed to go hard at the ball to force a boundary line throw in and he sadly didn't go hard enough. It looked bad from the other side of the ground (we were near the Wade stand) it was a shocker, it really was and when they replayed it up on the big screen ot looked worse.... This is meant to put the boots in Edwards it could have been anyone and when they look at the tape ....................

Did it cost us the game? Unlikely but I've got no doubt Geelong thought "we've got 'em here" and to me it was a defining moment.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Defining Moments
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 10:12:57 AM »
Take out the umpiring and there were a couple of moments yesterday in the final quarter that if we got the option right we get a goal or at least a shot AT goal and in the other we get a disputed ball rather than Geelong getting an easy entry inside 50

Just on the umpiring I mentioned it before but the hands in the back decision not given to JBowden was ghastly & costly, possibly 2 goals up with all the momentum... struth what might of have been

But the others not umpiring related were for me at least

1/ Richo and Nahas -v- Taylor (I think it was) ball is coming in, Richo decides to double back towards goal and leave Nahas to take on the bigger bodied player, who in turn gets brushed away... oh what might have been. Form mine Richo should have gone with the Geelong bloke and created space for Nahas to swoop

2/  and the one that really hurt simply for the message it sent was on the wing near the bench. Edwards was against someone (not sure who) and he just needed to go hard at the ball to force a boundary line throw in and he sadly didn't go hard enough. It looked bad from the other side of the ground (we were near the Wade stand) it was a shocker, it really was and when they replayed it up on the big screen ot looked worse.... This is meant to put the boots in Edwards it could have been anyone and when they look at the tape ....................

Did it cost us the game? Unlikely but I've got no doubt Geelong thought "we've got 'em here" and to me it was a defining moment.

Do you mean the Edwards vs Milburn contest WP?  Happened on the wing and it was a total case of boy vs man - Milburn ran into/through him as though he wasn't there.  I thought at the time that Edwards must now be having mental issues with the image of Milburn bearing down on him. 

Offline Beren

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 10:42:40 AM »
Spot on Smokey.
Don't think Edwards was entirely to blame there.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 12:30:56 PM »
Do you mean the Edwards vs Milburn contest WP?  Happened on the wing and it was a total case of boy vs man - Milburn ran into/through him as though he wasn't there.  I thought at the time that Edwards must now be having mental issues with the image of Milburn bearing down on him. 

yeah that owuld be the one smokey

I just thought Edwards braced and really baulked at the contest

It wasnt' a great look

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 12:35:00 PM »
for mind, i think the defining moment came when they kicked 2 goals without the ball going back to the centre! That can break teams and all for something that really doesnt match the penalty

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 01:02:20 PM »

yeah that owuld be the one smokey

I just thought Edwards braced and really baulked at the contest

It wasnt' a great look

Yeah, he did brace for the contact but his intention didn't match his capability.  If he had kept total focus on the ball then it 'might' have been a different outcome but as soon as he tried to match Milburn for physicality he was a dead duck.  It looked worse than it was but there was still a lesson in it for him - stay focussed on the ball and let the rest worry about itself.

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 07:18:17 PM »
for mind, i think the defining moment came when they kicked 2 goals without the ball going back to the centre! That can break teams and all for something that really doesnt match the penalty

We kicked 4 straight after that face-palm and was 1 point up at 3QT so I don't think that was the breaker.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 08:42:37 PM »
3aw commentators said it was simply a boy against man situation. Right idea to have a running player on Milburn as he is slowing up as he gets older but Edwards was too small and that played to Milburn's strength which is his hardness.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 08:49:09 PM »

He did what his midfield coach did for his entire career

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 08:56:33 PM »

Where's JohnF when you need him lol.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 09:02:35 PM »

Where's JohnF when you need him lol.

He now posts under the name Bojangles  :o   

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 05:18:24 PM »
The Geelong Addy's version of events ......

Cats are always ready to work
Joel Cresswell
Geelong Advertiser
April 6th, 2009

ONE act late in Saturday's game against Richmond epitomised why Geelong has long enjoyed a gulf over the league's also-rans.

Darren Milburn and the Tigers' Shane Edwards converged on a loose ball on the Cats' half forward flank with the home team fighting hard to preserve a two-goal buffer.

Edwards was still on all fours, gulping for air, a minute after the contest - the ball long-since swept away for a Steve Johnson goal.

The Cats win the contests when they absolutely have to be won.

Let it be a lesson to the also-rans.

The embarrassed Tigers had talked all week about the need for increased pressure. Hard nuts and speedsters Jake King, Tom Hislop and debutant Alex Rance were drafted into the side to provide it.

So perhaps it was fitting that King's token gesture to 'tough' football, a jab in the ribs to Gary Ablett before the first bounce, set the tone for Richmond's first half intensity.

Too often the Tigers gave away costly free kicks and 50-metre penalties with their shot-gun approach to pressure.

Not much later King had the chance to win the football on the wing but attempted a flailing hip and shoulder at an opponent.

Another symbolic moment in the second quarter saw Rance fail to follow a handball with a shepherd on the wing.

The Tiger receiver was pressured and his kick to Jack Riewoldt was cut off. The young forward reacted with a fist on his opponents head and the subsequent 50m penalty resulted in a shot on goal.

Yet when the Tigers focussed their aggression they showed they could break from the centre and force the Cats into errors.

They based their eight goal to three third term on strong bodies over the ball and Matthew Richardson's contested marking.

In the last quarter Gary Ablett and the granite-bodied Joel Selwood won some vital 50-50's and the Cats ran away from Richmond.

People will say the Tigers don't know how to win - the fact is Geelong isn't so choosy with its pressure.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2009/04/06/60931_gfc.html

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 09:53:11 PM »
Is the Addy the Geelong Football Forum?
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 10:21:48 PM »
Is the Addy the Geelong Football Forum?

Is the Addy serious?

What a lot a tripe... it made a some of the crap from Damien Barrett look almost balanced :P

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2009, 10:22:07 PM »
2/  and the one that really hurt simply for the message it sent was on the wing near the bench. Edwards was against someone (not sure who) and he just needed to go hard at the ball to force a boundary line throw in and he sadly didn't go hard enough.

yep that was the crunch moment of the game steve Johnson v edwards , we needed a contest and he was brushed aside like an auskicker,  could cost him his spot...that was the sealer goal put them more than 3g up...we simply didnt manufacture enough chances in 4q..look at the stats and Cats playmakers had big finish...plenty of improvement left in us yet
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled