Author Topic: D-day for Deledio  (Read 5935 times)

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
Re: D-day for Deledio
« Reply #75 on: April 23, 2009, 01:28:26 PM »
deledio is the white mans wells

big call

he might look better when he has Cotchin, Coughlan, Cousins next to him.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #76 on: April 23, 2009, 01:33:07 PM »
TigerTime-I share your disappointment over Deledios year so far.He is in his 5th year and it is time someone with his talent started showing some leadership as well.The time for nice little cameos is over...its time for top four quarter efforts.He does however have about 20 team mates who have been equally disappointing.
Yes Richo would of won the JDM had he played the full 22 games last year...Lids still had a fantastic year.I wont forget the goal he kicked against Hawthorn last year in round 19.All class and won the game for us.No one had any problems with Lids 6 weeks ago and that is because he has improved every year since his debut.
Lids will do much better when the midfield reinforcements come back into the team over the next few weeks.

Unleash the tornado

Offline Ekto

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #77 on: April 23, 2009, 01:47:57 PM »
It will be D for Deledio day on Saturday when he and Cogs, and the rest of the Tigers destroyate the Kangas.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2009, 02:16:50 PM »
Ge this topic has taken a strange turn.

As far as I'm concerned if I was a recruiter from the Gold Coast I'd take Brett Deledio over Higgins without even blinking.

I'm not going to argue that Brett is better than Shaun it's plain obvious, put Higgins in our line up atm and he'd be playing reserves where poor Richie has been burnt too. Put Deledio in a midfield with strong bodies of Cooney, Boyd and Hahn and he'd run absolutely riot.

End of story.

Isn't the issue that of whether Brett can take his game to the next level, instead whether he's better than some random footballer.. Regardless even if he is, who cares, so what?

For mine a post was correct in saying that Ablett is helped by team mates to shake the tag and our midfield will learn how to do that effectively per opponent in due time, hopefully sooner rather than later. It'd also be nice to have the ability that the Lions used to have and have the ability to pull the tagged midfielder into the forward line and have midfield options that can win you games. Unfortunatly alone Foley can't win a game by himself, and the rest just don't stack up to the rest of the competetion.

Be a different story when the 3 Cotchin, Deledio and Foley are in the late 20's and we have an other breed of good youngsters coming through.

All woudl be a different story if we didn't trade away 3 draft picks (Daniel Wells, James Kelly, no name) for Kane Johnson and 2 for Nathan Brown (Keplar Bradley, no name), this draft was a rubbish draft but still..

Lets hope it does not take that long  :-\

Cousins - 31 yoa
Deledio - 23 yoa
Coughlan - 28 yoa
Foley - 24 yoa
Cotchin - 20 yoa
---
Tuck - 27 yoa

+ still need a couple of the 'B' graders to step up, at least a couple from; White, Tambling, Raines, Edwards, Polo, Morton etc. need to prove they are decent.

that should be a good enough spread in there age + Lids in his 6th year

you would hope next year they would be ready to go if we have good run with injury.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #79 on: April 23, 2009, 04:26:07 PM »
You forgot your man Jackson Bentleigh  :scream

Ramps

« Reply #80 on: April 23, 2009, 04:31:10 PM »
Ge this topic has taken a strange turn.

As far as I'm concerned if I was a recruiter from the Gold Coast I'd take Brett Deledio over Higgins without even blinking.

I'm not going to argue that Brett is better than Shaun it's plain obvious, put Higgins in our line up atm and he'd be playing reserves where poor Richie has been burnt too. Put Deledio in a midfield with strong bodies of Cooney, Boyd and Hahn and he'd run absolutely riot.

End of story.

Isn't the issue that of whether Brett can take his game to the next level, instead whether he's better than some random footballer.. Regardless even if he is, who cares, so what?

For mine a post was correct in saying that Ablett is helped by team mates to shake the tag and our midfield will learn how to do that effectively per opponent in due time, hopefully sooner rather than later. It'd also be nice to have the ability that the Lions used to have and have the ability to pull the tagged midfielder into the forward line and have midfield options that can win you games. Unfortunatly alone Foley can't win a game by himself, and the rest just don't stack up to the rest of the competetion.

Be a different story when the 3 Cotchin, Deledio and Foley are in the late 20's and we have an other breed of good youngsters coming through.

All woudl be a different story if we didn't trade away 3 draft picks (Daniel Wells, James Kelly, no name) for Kane Johnson and 2 for Nathan Brown (Keplar Bradley, no name), this draft was a rubbish draft but still..

Lets hope it does not take that long  :-\

Cousins - 31 yoa
Deledio - 23 yoa
Coughlan - 28 yoa
Foley - 24 yoa
Cotchin - 20 yoa
---
Tuck - 27 yoa

+ still need a couple of the 'B' graders to step up, at least a couple from; White, Tambling, Raines, Edwards, Polo, Morton etc. need to prove they are decent.

that should be a good enough spread in there age + Lids in his 6th year

you would hope next year they would be ready to go if we have good run with injury.

Thats the problem with our list- or one of them, people think we have B grade players who are really infact C and D grade footballers - I only rate Morton a B grade from that list.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #81 on: April 23, 2009, 05:00:28 PM »
Just back on Lids, Luke Power mentions 5 things he's learnt in dealing with taggers. Lids should be focusing on point 2 especially improving the defensive side of his game which is lacking. Mind you that goes for most Tigers  :scream.

. 2. Lift your work rate
The best way to beat a tag is to work harder. Around the stoppages, beat your opponent to the ball by pushing off hard or forcing him into positions that make him uncomfortable.

Try changing your starting points – set up in front of the contest sometimes, and behind or off the contest at others. When the ball breaks, run hard to get space between the two of you.

If your fitness is good, run all day. Sometimes duels can be won in the second half as your tagger starts to tire and lose concentration; St Kilda’s Robert Harvey was amazing at this.

Also, don’t forget about the defensive side of the game. While a tagger can choke your ball supply, he can’t stop you from laying tackles, chasing, pressuring, spoiling, talking and blocking for teammates. Even if you are not getting the ball – if you’re doing these then you’re making a great contribution to your team.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/75487/default.aspx
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #82 on: April 23, 2009, 07:46:16 PM »
Just back on Lids, Luke Power mentions 5 things he's learnt in dealing with taggers. Lids should be focusing on point 2 especially improving the defensive side of his game which is lacking. Mind you that goes for most Tigers  :scream.

. 2. Lift your work rate
The best way to beat a tag is to work harder. Around the stoppages, beat your opponent to the ball by pushing off hard or forcing him into positions that make him uncomfortable.

Try changing your starting points – set up in front of the contest sometimes, and behind or off the contest at others. When the ball breaks, run hard to get space between the two of you.

If your fitness is good, run all day. Sometimes duels can be won in the second half as your tagger starts to tire and lose concentration; St Kilda’s Robert Harvey was amazing at this.

Also, don’t forget about the defensive side of the game. While a tagger can choke your ball supply, he can’t stop you from laying tackles, chasing, pressuring, spoiling, talking and blocking for teammates. Even if you are not getting the ball – if you’re doing these then you’re making a great contribution to your team.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/75487/default.aspx

Actually that is the second time in the last fortnight I've heard a top line mid-fielder speak about work ware when being tagged

Lindsay Gilbee sai dthe same thing after the Tiger/Bullies game when asked about to work through a tag
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #83 on: April 23, 2009, 10:47:12 PM »
TigerTime-I share your disappointment over Deledios year so far.He is in his 5th year and it is time someone with his talent started showing some leadership as well.The time for nice little cameos is over...its time for top four quarter efforts.He does however have about 20 team mates who have been equally disappointing.
Yes Richo would of won the JDM had he played the full 22 games last year...Lids still had a fantastic year.I wont forget the goal he kicked against Hawthorn last year in round 19.All class and won the game for us.No one had any problems with Lids 6 weeks ago and that is because he has improved every year since his debut.
Lids will do much better when the midfield reinforcements come back into the team over the next few weeks.

IM GLAD YOU UNDERSTAND WHRE IM COMING FROM, UNLIKE SOME POSTERS WHO ARE JUST  blinded by their black and yellow glasses.  i dont want deledio to wait til he has support though, i want him to make a statement and stamp his authority on the game regardless how poo we are and who is in our team