Author Topic: tigers of old are back !!!!! (I dream when i will be able to say those words)  (Read 635 times)

Offline tiger till i die

• RFC Hall of Fame
hey guys, i am from melbourne but now live in the heart of rugby territory `sydney'  :P .... any way i believe that if we can pull off an upset for north melbourne we can build on that (confidence) and we can truly bring back the tigers of old !!!!!

all we need is that spark!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup
 :gotigers

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
hey guys, i am from melbourne but now live in the heart of rugby territory `sydney'  :P .... any way i believe that if we can pull off an upset for north melbourne we can build on that (confidence) and we can truly bring back the tigers of old !!!!!

all we need is that spark!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup
 :gotigers

Good call TTID, footy is a confidence game and i reckon if Richo had of kicked a couple of early goals this year instead of missing, we would not be putting up with all this stuff on here!

Offline gtig

• Jack Dyer medallist
too right ttid, how different would things have been if we'd had the confidence to push home against the cats?
i always think about what tony jewel said when he came back for his second coaching go, about (to paraphrase) what a shame it was all the confidence, the fans and winning spirit had gone... all our blokes could be massive impact if they had that confidence... you could draft Richmond's most derided player (probably our hardest worker King) into Geelong and you know he'd go up 50 notches.
I recon when Richo's lining up for goal he thinks back to that terrible day he wandered into a tiger's forum and saw himself, the team and the whole club and half the supporter base bagged six ways from sunday by his own tiger's supporters and just then when the ball hits the boot he thinks maybe they're right maybe we are no good too old bad coach too selfish no skills can't pass etc etc etc... out on the full.
not to say there isn't plenty of intelligent criticism going on, but if we can't see the positives in our own then how can we expect the team to back themselves?
go tiges. first 10 goals. because if we had the confidence, that wouldn't be impossible.

Offline gtig

• Jack Dyer medallist
from SEN interview http://www.sportsentral.com/pro/main/storyreader.aspx?sid=9666&sr=all

...When asked what was missing at Tigerland, Sheedy was frank.

"If you play with confidence, you have a great chance to play well. If you're not playing with confidence, lots of things go into disarray don't they."

"To me, confidence and the importance of working towards getting it and maintaining confidence is crucial."

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
from SEN interview http://www.sportsentral.com/pro/main/storyreader.aspx?sid=9666&sr=all

...When asked what was missing at Tigerland, Sheedy was frank.

"If you play with confidence, you have a great chance to play well. If you're not playing with confidence, lots of things go into disarray don't they."

"To me, confidence and the importance of working towards getting it and maintaining confidence is crucial."

And in that statement I think lies a lot more of the real reason for our current woes rather than the media-fueled Doomsday Prophecies.  We do have a better list than many are 'currently' (and I use that term in it's most derogatory context) prepared to acknowledge, we have not recruited nearly as badly as many are 'currently' prepared to acknowledge, we are better placed than many other clubs to ride out both the economic crisis and GC draft crisis in the next year or two, we have a proven large loyal base of supporters who have a strong history of underwriting the club's viability, we have a brand that is famous (read sponsor-attractive) in the wider national community and we are directing more and more or our recent gains in financial stability into the last remaining weak point in our structure - the football department.  Yep,  we have started the season terribly, we have all been upset and embarrassed by it, but look through the wood for the trees - they are there and growing quite healthily - you just need to look and, like watching a forest grow, be patient.