Author Topic: People you do NOT want to coach Richmond Football Club  (Read 2316 times)

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: People you do NOT want to coach Richmond Football Club
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2009, 06:48:09 PM »
Why not Hardwick?

Just my opinion but I think he is going to be a career assistant - very much the Harvey's about him.
Hardwick has been involved in too many premierships/success as both a player and in coaching to be a career assistant. Harvey may have been an assistant coach for Essendon's 2000 Premiership, but he'd only been out of the game for 2 years and hadn't ever left the club. Since 2001 he's had pretty mediocre results at both teams he's been involved with.
Hardwick left the game in 2004 winning a 2nd flag with Port, went straight to Hawthorn as an assistant coach in 2005 and won another flag as an assistant coach last year. Can't see the similarities, sorry. Not saying he's a guaranteed success, but he ticks all the boxes.

Not saying he is the same - just that he reminds me of Harvey - good hard player at a successful club under the same coach and spending extensive time as an assistant coach at a successful club.  Sometimes the relationship can blur the reality - being an assistant at a successful club doesn't guarantee success as a senior coach but it can imply that.  Personally I am of the school of thought that you shouldn't spend too much time as an assistant - I prefer a coach that comes in relatively unexposed to too many superior/subordinate coaching influences but hey, just my opinion.

And if I had to pick someone to replace Wallace?  1.  Buckley  2.  Buckley  3.  Buckley
Hardwick didn't start his coaching career at a successful club, he started at Hawthorn in 2005 coming off 15th spot on the ladder just above us. During his time there they've been 14th, 11th, 6th, 1st.
I wouldn't consider 4 years as an assistant that long and I expect him to be a senior coach somewhere next year.
Harvey was an assistant for 10 years before he got the Freo spot and his history prior to the promotion was an assistant for teams that came, 15th, 11th, 3rd, 13th, which is not very good.[

Would be happy with Buckley as a candidate, but would he be happy with us and would he be just using us as a stepping stone back to Collingwood?

Jackstar is back

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2009, 06:59:16 PM »

daniel

jackstar

Have  2 premierships more than you ;)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2009, 07:15:14 PM »

Hardwick didn't start his coaching career at a successful club, he started at Hawthorn in 2005 coming off 15th spot on the ladder just above us. During his time there they've been 14th, 11th, 6th, 1st.
I wouldn't consider 4 years as an assistant that long and I expect him to be a senior coach somewhere next year.
Harvey was an assistant for 10 years before he got the Freo spot and his history prior to the promotion was an assistant for teams that came, 15th, 11th, 3rd, 13th, which is not very good.

Would be happy with Buckley as a candidate, but would he be happy with us and would he be just using us as a stepping stone back to Collingwood?

Yeah, fair enough.  As I said, just an opinion.  I agree that Buckley would be a hard nut for us to crack - we may carry too much ingrained baggage for him to consider us.  As far as a stepping stone back to Collingwood?  He would need to demonstrate some talent and success at wherever he coached before they would realistically consider him and if he displays that talent and brings that success to Richmond before 'going home' then so be it.  As we all know only too painfully, clubs tend to be much less tolerant and loyal to their coaches than their players.

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2009, 08:19:05 PM »

Jackstar is back

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2009, 09:09:24 PM »

daniel

jackstar

Have  2 premierships more than you ;)

Orange boy?
You never know, he could be talking about U12s

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2009, 09:58:38 PM »
Campbell
Royal
D King
Rawlings

These blokes should not be allowed to stay on as assistants after Terry goes.

Hardwick for me is the ideal candidate. Tigers should move heaven and earth to get him the senior coaching gig.

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2009, 10:39:30 PM »
Warrick Capper

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2009, 08:04:36 AM »
Warrick Capper

He could teach Richo a thing or two about kicking straight.   :-[

Moi

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2009, 08:19:18 AM »
Grant Thomas

Msg to RFC:  Don't even think about him  :wallywink :banghead

Offline Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2009, 09:31:27 AM »
Humphrey Bear
Elmer Fudd
Gumby

etc.

Gumby maybe ok, he would give us added flexablity.

Anyway

Dont want
Sheedy
Pagan
Campbell
Thomas
Ayres
King
Royal
any of the other current Tiger assistants

Want
No Idea,  Hardwick or maybe Buckley but both would be taking a huge risk. Apart form them I realy dont see who we could or should target.
Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2009, 01:35:14 PM »
It's too early to call, but Rawlings has Coburg playing very well at the minute. I'd let their performance over the entire season determine his appointment for 2010.