Author Topic: Tigers through safely at Coburg (RFC)  (Read 258 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers through safely at Coburg (RFC)
« on: May 04, 2009, 03:32:00 PM »
Tigers through safely at Coburg
richmondfc.com.au
By Adrian Ceddia 11:56 AM Mon 04 May, 2009

Richmond’s senior players emerged unscathed from Saturday’s VFL match for Coburg against Casey, as they press for inclusion in the AFL side.

Ben Cousins, Kayne Pettifer and Trent Cotchin proved they have overcome their injuries, while Troy Simmonds and Shane Edwards were shining lights in the Tigers’ 42-point loss.

Cousins’ return from a hamstring injury went as planned, with the 30-year-old collecting 30 disposals in limited game time.

Coburg coach Jade Rawlings was pleased with the veteran’s output.

“I thought he was good. We were disappointing as a team, but he did as much as he could do on the VFL stage,” Rawlings said.

“He wasn’t going to play 100 per cent today. We capped his time, and the amount he was going to play exactly how we wanted it, so he could come out unscathed.

“I thought his professionalism and enthusiasm toward his team-mates was great.

“It’s up to the Richmond match committee and coaching staff to work out where his future lies in the next couple of weeks.”

Cotchin completed his second competitive match of the year, and while illness affected his impact on the game, Rawlings has been pleased with his progress on the comeback trail.

“I thought the second half he started to get his hands on the ball a little bit more, and he used it okay,” he said.

“I think he’s ahead of where he was at this time last year, coming off what was a similar base with his achilles injury.”

Edwards was outstanding across half back, collecting 30 possessions and laying four tackles.

“Shane was terrific for us all day. He won the ball back for us a lot in defence, and used it very well,” Rawlings said.

Likewise, Simmonds controlled the ruck right throughout the match, winning 37 hit-outs, 22 touches and nine marks.

Pettifer lined up for Coburg seniors after his return last week in the reserves, and amassed 33 possessions and kicked two goals in a midfield/forward role.

Other Richmond-listed players to impress on the day were Jay Schulz, Tom Hislop and Jake King.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/76170/default.aspx