Author Topic: Coburg B&F  (Read 3267 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Coburg B&F
« on: October 03, 2004, 01:27:58 PM »
Attended the Coburg Best & Fariest last night at Crown :thumbsup

Winner: Ryan O'Connor (Jim Sullivan Award)

Runner Up: Dean Talbot

3rd: Shane Tuck

Most Improved: Andrew Raines

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

froars

Re: Coburg B&F
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2004, 01:31:23 PM »
Congrats to O'Connor and Talbot,
but especially our boys!

You saw lots of the kids this year WP, what did you think of them - especially Rainesy?  At the beginning of the year, he looked pretty small and a bit lost to me - but i saw him near the end of the year, and he looked like he'd put on a bit of weight and was getting a fair bit of the ball.  Your thoughts please!

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2004, 01:44:55 PM »
You saw lots of the kids this year WP, what did you think of them - especially Rainesy?  At the beginning of the year, he looked pretty small and a bit lost to me - but i saw him near the end of the year, and he looked like he'd put on a bit of weight and was getting a fair bit of the ball.  Your thoughts please!

I am just heading out the door froars to the baseball :thumbsup and will answer this more fully when I get home but....

When David Flood was talking about Raines last night he mentioned that young Andrew's first kick was a none kick - an "Airy". But his improvement surprised many. As for his weight he was something like 70 odd kilos when he arrived and about 78 kilos by end of the season.

froars

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2004, 01:51:54 PM »
Look forward to it WP - well, what Flood says shows the kid has worked very very hard.
And Julz, he is a stunner lol

Jackstar

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2004, 05:29:27 PM »
You might find a mass exit of players at Coburg .
Ryan Pagan has been appointed coach of St.Albans and its rumoured that Talbot and others will join him

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2004, 05:46:44 PM »
3rd: Shane Tuck

Most Improved: Andrew Raines

Congrats to our boys. Well deserved  :thumbsup

Amazing how they weren't allowed a game (especially Tuck) ahead of some of our regular senior blokes who kept failing us time and again  ::).
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2004, 12:58:42 PM »

Part 2 ;D:

I was impressed with Andrew Raines improvement during the year Froars and actually thought he deserved a senior game before round 22. There were a couple of areas that stood out to me.

Firstly, in the beginning they played him mainly off the bench and at times he was lucky if he got to play 30 minutes a game. As the season progressed they had to play him more because when he was on the ground his decision making was very good. Now when you follow a team that has generally bad decision making then a player that show goods signs in that area is going to stand out IMO. The other positive is his disposal - which seemed, as the year progressed, that more often than not he will hit a target. And he is a RIGHT FOOTER  :bow :bow

Secondly, with him bulking up during the year (and granted he needs another 6-10 kgs on him) his strength increased and I think I mentioned this once before, his overhead marking in particular improved dramaticallty. Another benefit of him increasing his size was that I reckon it enabled him to improve his tackling and his ability to break tackles. Early in the year he was brushed aside to easily but by seasons end it was a definite improvement.

Finally, and I know we hear this alot but he really comes across as a quality young man. I have spoken to him a couple of times and have been really really impressed with him. He's a good kid.

I appreciate that is is probably too early to say whether he will be a gun player but at least he shows a few things that have been sadly lacking for the Tigers for a long period of time. Here's hoping that Tezza persists with him - personally I reckon it is worth the punt

As for the other kids - in 2005 I am looking forward to see what Archibald can do. I saw Archie play twice for Coburg and he looked pretty strong with a good leap. Seems to be built to play as a KP player. At Couburg they played him either at CHB or HBF.

I am going to be interested to see what they do with Foley. He was a rookie in 2004 - I reckon we will keep him on the rookie list rather than promote him. He showed a bit as well - very quick hands when he is on the bottom of packs.

Lastly, Alex Gilmour was our number 1 pick in last years draft. He was injured alot in 2004 but when he did play he seemed more suited to playing as an attacking rather than in a defense role. He struggled a couple of times at Coburg when they put him at half back. I beleive they did it to teach him about being accountable. He is very light - he makes Andrew Raines and Tommy roach look like Michael Voss  :) and I think he will have to bulk up a fair bit over summer

« Last Edit: October 04, 2004, 01:06:34 PM by WilliamPowell »

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2004, 01:05:06 PM »

Ryan Pagan has been appointed coach of St.Albans and its rumoured that Talbot and others will join him

Will be interested to see what happens with Tally Jack - in his speech (I thought) hinted that he was staying.

Also a few other bits of interest.

Kane Pettifer lead the Coburg B&F for the first 13 rounds.

If I remember correctly - Dragga finsihed either 4th or 5th.

And it was announced that David Flood has agreed to conitue as senior coach in 2005 :thumbsup :bow :cheers. Someone hinted to me that he was heaed to Hawthorn

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2004, 01:06:41 PM »
Amazing how they weren't allowed a game (especially Tuck) ahead of some of our regular senior blokes who kept failing us time and again  ::).

Er... regarding Tuck and his lack of opportunities - it was a ....um.... talking point ;)

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2004, 01:21:26 PM »
Yeah - agree about Raines.

His improvement during the year was amazing.  He started the year as a would be Coburg reserves player, then went onto being a impact player off the bench, and then to being probably Coburgs best and most imortant during the latter stages of the season.

His physique improved considerably during the year also.  I remember seeing him early in the year and he was quite thin.  However the muscle tone was apparent and you could tell that he could mass on the muscle with some hard work.  Near the end of the season he had done just that and really didn't look like a kid out of his depths when he played his first game in rd 22.  He can really be a big boy if he continues this way.  What I like about Raines is his ability to brush off would be tackles using the strength through the hips and thighs.  This is a good sign.

His year was probably in direct contrast to that of Tommy Roach's.  Roach started off like a house on fire with some good form in the pre-season and early stages of the home and away season.  Raines was not even in consideration at that stage.  However Roach steadily went down hill whereas Raines went on the up.  Roach still looks like a kid and really needs to bulk up.  Let's hope he can do so.  Let's just hope all the kids we recruit can develop like Raines did this year. 
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2004, 01:23:29 PM »

Er... regarding Tuck and his lack of opportunities - it was a ....um.... talking point ;)

Where ?  At the B & F ?

What was said ?

You would have to be completely naive and stupid to not beleive that Frawley had something against Tuck. 

Thank god that moron is gone.

Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2004, 01:47:37 PM »

Where ?  At the B & F ?

yes at the B&F - while we were having pre-dineer drinks ;D

What was said ?

Basically what MT highlighted HarryH - we were discussing why he got dropped when he should have been playing in the seniors.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2004, 01:54:49 PM »
You would have to be completely naive and stupid to not beleive that Frawley had something against Tuck. 

Wasn't the excuse that his decision making needed to improve ??? If they applied that rule to everyone on our list we wouldnt be able to fill even half a side  :-\
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

froars

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2004, 03:27:04 PM »
Thanks WP on the lowdown virtually of all our players at Coburg - well the ones that count that is lol

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2004, 04:27:06 PM »
His year was probably in direct contrast to that of Tommy Roach's.  Roach started off like a house on fire with some good form in the pre-season and early stages of the home and away season.  Raines was not even in consideration at that stage.  However Roach steadily went down hill whereas Raines went on the up.  Roach still looks like a kid and really needs to bulk up.  Let's hope he can do so.  Let's just hope all the kids we recruit can develop like Raines did this year. 

I reckon HarryH makes an excellent point here about young Roach. The longer the season went on the more time Roach spent on the bench - he at times simply appeared to have run out of steam. Granted he hurt his knee near the end of the season but I think this highlights one of the problems we have had for a number of years that is (and it's been raised on another thread), the conditioning and fitness of some our players.