Author Topic: Team sheet: Rich v Port, and future team structure  (Read 2411 times)

Online TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
Team sheet: Rich v Port, and future team structure
« on: May 09, 2009, 11:24:16 PM »
B:   Newman    Moore     Polo
HB: Deledio    McGuane  McMahon
C:   Cousins    Jackson   White
HF: Tambling  Pattison   Nahas
F:   Morton     Hughes   Riewoldt

Foll: Graham    Foley     Couglan

Int: Tuck  Collins  Simmonds   Oakly Nicholls/Bowden

Bowden: Hasn't been the worst this year, I would like to see how the team plays without him, as he wont be playing next year lets have a  look.

Deledio: For mine plays his best footy re bounding from half back with run and carry. Not in the guts with big scragging bodies.

Simmonds: Thought he was ok at best his 4 goals made him look alot better than what he produced. Jury is out Pattison and Graham to do the ruck duties and save the forward position for a Hughes, Post, Vickory to show there worth. 2 games left tops for mine.

Morton: Absolutely "flabber gastered" as to why he was dropped in the first place for Brown. Then for Brown to be a withdrawl a disgrace he wasn't re included. One down game from him and he's a scapegoat. Extremely extremley poor from the coaching and selection panel.

Riewoldt/Hughes: Must be given a chance as a duo to work together. Get Cleve in I don't care how his form at Coburg is going give him a chance to show what he has at AFL level playing a consistent number of games. Riewoldt needs another big body to help him and the young men should be given a license to do what ever they want and held accountable for it.

Pattison: Must play. Was he injured? Sets an amazing example as a big man. Rotating him and Graham in the ruck and in teh froward line will be potent in years to come. Begin the partnership now!

Cousins: For mine stays for the year and next year. Has an enormous amount of knowledge and success to inject and teach into the playing group.

Tambling: Would love the knockers to disappear. He really has improved dramatically since years gone by and bar the WB game has been in our top 10 nearly every game.

JON: How many years do we give him? Well instead of saying he may come good at Coburg. Give him a full season at AFL level. At least then we wont die wondering.

Retirements:
Round 18 v Melbourne:
Must be the farewell game for the following:
Johnson
Simmonds
Brown
Bowden

Been good to great servants of our club but this would earmark a significant era change that is needed. the last 4 round whether you believe in tanking or not is up to you but the last 4 round should be focusing on the game plan for next year and seeing who gel well together etc.

It's really hard to think that we're going through deja vu all over again but that's reality whinging and complaining get us no where so there is no point. Keep your heads level try and enjoy our great game and be positive. I sat behind the bench for about 2 qtrs and the boys gave a genuine red hot crack some were just genuinely spent Shane Tuck and Jackson in particular. It's really hard to see guys giving 100% and not reaping rewards. We won nearly every single stat today. It makes it easier to dissect the problem though. Plain and Simple.

Game Plan, and ball movement and decision making.

A) Game plan problem = One of two issues or possibly both.
One, the coaching staff have a game plan that is to easily countered and with no plan B to counter-counter attack. If this is the reason then the coaching staff are in trouble. Or two, the players have not been instructed thoroughly enough to be disciplined enough to play to the game plan. This is also a coaching issue, and relates to Terry losing the players or the players losing Terry.

B) Ball Movement. We had 17 play on to 3 in the first qtr. From then on the last 3 qtrs we had 25 play ons... In 3qtrs. Why this happened I don't know. But the scoreboard suggest 17 play ons in a qtr works.

C) Decision Making. The hardest skill to acquire as a footballer and the one attribute almost impossible to look at whilst drafting young players. One of teh biggest issues going around in our squad atm and it kills teams.

To have good decision making you need The game plan to be 100% drilled into your brain and have a reasonable level of confidence.

Unfortunately I believe we have neither. You can't win games of football with bad decisions. End of Story.

Things have been worse keep your heads, if you truly love the yellow and black you'll stick with them.

Rant over. Kick it to Punt Road! :P

:gotigers
Go Tigers!

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Team sheet: Rich v Port, and future team structure
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 08:44:33 AM »

HB: Post    McGuane  McMahon

Foll: Graham    Deledio     Couglan

Int: Tuck  Collins  Vickery   Oakly Nicholls

nb. as soom as rance and cotchin  are better they come in for tuck and white

thats my team , just made some changes

newman gone next year

now imo. that team is a frash new one with a new look

ps foley does not deserve to play at this level with his game style, he plays like a headless chook and just has no idea

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 03:34:11 PM »
I am still so mystified that people want Bowden gone! He would be leading our B and F at the moment imo

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 05:29:53 PM »
No chance Bowden is leading the B&F
Shows how much of a one trick pony he is by the fact we've had to play him down back again, it's the only way he can get a kick
Should have been retired at the end of last year along with Johnson

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 06:15:34 PM »
No chance Bowden is leading the B&F
Shows how much of a one trick pony he is by the fact we've had to play him down back again, it's the only way he can get a kick
Should have been retired at the end of last year along with Johnson
One trick pony? The league is full of them, eg full forwards play full forward rarely anywhere else, matthew scarlett plays full back and rarely anywhere else, wouldnt mind him for a one trick pony! besides i think he did shoot forward a few times last year to have telling influence on games, eg vs Bris at the dome! I think Joel was important when going forward vs Geelong, truth is, he gels our backline together and is a leader. It is neccesity that he is down there not the fact he is a one trick pony! Joel is just an easy target for many

Online TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 06:46:30 PM »
I am still so mystified that people want Bowden gone! He would be leading our B and F at the moment imo

Bowden is definitely in our best 22 and I'm a strong believer it's the softest out for a footbal club to say we are rebuilding but unfortunatly I think we need to give games to players that don't really deserved them. This is the only way to get a decent indication whether they are worth holding onto post 2010, you can't properly evaluate a players worth when he's playing in the VFL. Joel just has to make way for this procedure to happen.

Agree when Rance and Cotchin are right they come back in, maybe for a McMahon and Tuck. White has age on his side over Tuck. I'm a huge Tuck fan and hate to see him go it's jus these hard decision we must make. Hawthorn made them with Thompson, Hay, Graham all club favourite in late 20's being delisted or traded.
Go Tigers!

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 08:08:26 PM »
our b and f would be a tie b/w mguane and jackson atm

and re bowden, i am a fan of his, but he has had his chance , its time to start fresh and think aboutthe future, anyone over 25/6 who has been a big part of our losing culture must be gone next yr re who they are.

cousins should be our only player over 25/6 or so on our list next yr
richo, joel, sugar, snake ,brown,  newman tuck etc should all be gone

its not a hard thing to do, it may be painful but they all must go

and we must trade overrated players  like foley white and tuck if anyone wants him

players not good enough just have to be cut off , simple as that
we need a new rfc

Online TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 11:13:31 AM »
I agree in your idea.

Implementation of it would be different.

Coughlan, Richardson and Cousins I believe all are spiritual leaders and should stay. Everyone else above the age of 25/6 should go. Newman to stay on needs a decent crack with a team that is 100% committed.
Go Tigers!

Offline gtig

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 11:30:34 AM »
great thread, v positive.
ttime i like your team, but not sure if vickery is up to it yet, he looks very young at coburg. you could be right though, maybe just play the guy.
looking at the dees they seem to be pulling their kids into shape, slowly but surely.

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 12:02:21 PM »
great thread, v positive.
ttime i like your team, but not sure if vickery is up to it yet, he looks very young at coburg. you could be right though, maybe just play the guy.
looking at the dees they seem to be pulling their kids into shape, slowly but surely.

i know vickery isnt quite ready, but game time wont hurt his development, 10 min a quarter or so, gradually building up . result sfor the rest of the year wont matter, all about getting th estructures and game plan right, basically use the year to practice and warm up for next yr and to sort out who the next coach wants and dosnt want.
we have nothing to lose, we are as bad as anyone can can get. we are back to where we were at the end of spudlys reign

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 01:09:47 PM »

:-\

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 01:52:30 PM »

and re bowden, i am a fan of his, but he has had his chance , its time to start fresh and think aboutthe future, anyone over 25/6 who has been a big part of our losing culture must be gone next yr re who they are.

and we must trade overrated players  like foley white and tuck if anyone wants him

we need a new rfc

I agree with what you and Popelord are proposing. I also think we should get rid of the majority of the players over 26 but disagree that every one of them should go. Cousins and Richo are the only players I would keep but given their injury woes and a new coach coming in they may be given their marching orders regardless of what the Richmond faithful desire.

Simmonds is an interesting case given our current ruck stocks. He is still one of our best rucks on his day and given the developmental stage of players such as BrownE and Vickery he may be retained as backup. Patto is an enigma to me - he plays with his heart on his sleave, is good around the ground and contests in the ruck reasonably against the oppositions 2nd rucks but he is not big enough, skillful enough or plainly good enough to keep his place in the team in the long run. He, rather than Simmo, may be used as a backup next year allowing BrownE a chance as the second ruckman.

The other factor is measuring the worth of some of these older players versus some of the younger. Pettifier and King are merely taking up space for mine but, given you can not delist/retire too many players in one hit, who would you rather keep Simmonds and Bowden or Petts and Kingy?

How many can you realistically bring into a club without bringing in junk players? We need quality not 5th round rookie suburban wannabes! If we get rid of players we need to make sure who is replacing them has at least some chance of making the cut. The only way we can ensure that we get quality players is to trade quality players for picks. This is dangerous.

Will be a different list next year where we will go from one of the oldest clubs to one of the youngest very quickly.

Stripes

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2009, 02:14:18 PM »
B:       Polo         Moore         Post
HB: Tambling   McGuane    Newman
C :    Deledio    Coughlan    Cousins
HF:   Morton     Hughes      Riewoldt
F:      Nahas       Schulz       Cotchin

R: Graham Jackson Foley
IC: White Simmonds Collins JoN

In: Post, Cotchin, Morton, Hughes
Out: Rance(inj) Bowden, Edwards, Tuck

Time to bring Post in for Rance and see how he goes.

Although Simmond did well up front last weekend it's stop gap at best.
Hughes comes in to add structure.
We have to throw the responsibility back onto our young forwards and not just paper over cracks.
If they fail after a sustained stint then punt them at years end.

Cheap kick winning shouldn't save Joel. Last year for him.

Tuck likewise can have a rest at Coburg. His lack of class in the middle hurts us. Must change it up.

Edwards to develop his body and game at Coburg.

Tigermonk

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2009, 02:21:32 PM »
Popelord has Bowden said he wont be playing on next year  ;D

Online TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2009, 03:54:52 PM »

we need a new rfc

I agree with what you and Popelord are proposing. I also think we should get rid of the majority of the players over 26 but disagree that every one of them should go. Cousins and Richo are the only players I would keep but given their injury woes and a new coach coming in they may be given their marching orders regardless of what the Richmond faithful desire.

Simmonds is an interesting case given our current ruck stocks. He is still one of our best rucks on his day and given the developmental stage of players such as BrownE and Vickery he may be retained as backup. Patto is an enigma to me - he plays with his heart on his sleave, is good around the ground and contests in the ruck reasonably against the oppositions 2nd rucks but he is not big enough, skillful enough or plainly good enough to keep his place in the team in the long run. He, rather than Simmo, may be used as a backup next year allowing BrownE a chance as the second ruckman.

The other factor is measuring the worth of some of these older players versus some of the younger. Pettifier and King are merely taking up space for mine but, given you can not delist/retire too many players in one hit, who would you rather keep Simmonds and Bowden or Petts and Kingy?

How many can you realistically bring into a club without bringing in junk players? We need quality not 5th round rookie suburban wannabes! If we get rid of players we need to make sure who is replacing them has at least some chance of making the cut. The only way we can ensure that we get quality players is to trade quality players for picks. This is dangerous.

Will be a different list next year where we will go from one of the oldest clubs to one of the youngest very quickly.

Stripes

Really interesting point if you had 2 spots left on the list who would you keep.

More importantly I would assume next year Pettifer/King/Brown/Simmonds would all be playing 2's anyway. As if Brown and Simmonds are kept on they wouldn't warrant selection over younger players that need to be blooded. And possibly the same with Pettifer and King, yet they have more years on there side.

It's a balancing act what is seen as more treasured. Age or Experience?
Go Tigers!