Author Topic: How GR nearly became Richmond’s coach  (Read 1334 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
How GR nearly became Richmond’s coach
« on: October 06, 2004, 12:12:59 AM »
How GR nearly became Richmond’s coach . . .
3:40:24 PM Tue 5 October, 2004
Tony Greenberg
richmondfc.com.au

The mere mention of two letters at Tigerland -- GR -- conjures up images of a ruthlessness that once elevated Richmond to the status of the most feared club in the competition.

Richmond, the man, had a passion for Richmond, the Club, that knew no boundaries. And, Graeme Richmond did everything within his power to ensure his beloved Tigers ruled the football jungle.

It was GR's unstinting devotion to the Richmond Football Club that ignited his ruthlessness and earned him the nickname, "The Godfather".

Graeme Richmond was in a league of his own as a football administrator, primarily because the driving force behind his ruthless approach was his deep affection for the Tigers. The Club always came first for GR, and decisions were made solely in the best interests of the Yellow and Black, regardless of any personal friendships.

GR was responsible for recruiting many of the players who shone with Richmond in the glory years from 1967-80. And, his recruiting methods were legendary -- buying flowers and chocolates for the mothers of prospective recruits, sticking a wad of notes in a Gladstone bag and leaving it open on the table, etc. etc. Many prized recruits were literally 'pinched' from under the noses of rival clubs by GR.

Apart from recruiting officer, he served the Tigers in a variety of other capacities, such as fourths coach, thirds coach, secretary, treasurer, team manager, vice-president and Club director.

What’s not so well known, is that Graeme Richmond nearly added the senior coaching job to his impressive CV at Tigerland.

While doing some research recently for another Tigers’ historical piece, I came across this fascinating article, which appeared in ‘The Herald’ newspaper post the 1965 season.

At the time, Richmond was in the market for a coach to replace Len Smith, who had been forced to resign after suffering a heart attack earlier in the year. Legendary Club goalkicker, Jack Titus, had filled in as coach for the rest of the season and he’d lifted the Tigers to fifth place on the ladder (missing the finals by two games).

According to the story’s author, (the doyen of football writers) Alf Brown, Richmond was seriously contemplating breaking new ground in league football and appointing GR to the role of manager-coach.

I don’t know what happened to that innovative plan, but history, of course, shows that a low-key former Tiger player by the name of Tommy Hafey ended up taking over the coaching reins at Punt Road in 1966 (with GR’s strong backing).

Made a pretty decent fist of it too, did the man affectionately known as ‘T-shirt Tommy’, guiding Richmond to four premierships (1967, 1969, 1973 & 1974) and earning ‘Immortal’ status at the Club for his efforts.

Interesting to ponder, however, what might have been had GR, rather than Tommy, got the main ‘gig’ at Tigerland.

Here’s ‘The Herald’ story, post the 1965 season, which revealed the Tigers’ bold plan to go with GR as coach . . .

“NEW TIGERS COACH . . !”
Job offered to sec. Graeme
-- and Jack Dyer approves

“Richmond may drop one of football’s biggest bombshells by appointing their dynamic secretary, Graeme Richmond, as coach.

I understand he is likely to be offered the position of manager-coach.

If he accepts he will become the first such appointee in the history of the game.

I know the job is there for Graeme Richmond to take and the support of the committee is assured.

The Tigers have conducted an exhaustive search for a man with the qualities to take on the coaching position.

Norm Smith, Ron Branton, John Beckwith, John James, are among those who have been considered.

None of them will get the post.

Another former star player, Ted Langridge, now coaching interstate, is also being considered. But there are a lot of financial barriers to overcome.

Influential men at Richmond are persistent in urging Graeme Richmond to take the post.

If he does, it is likely Len Smith will continue as an adviser. He has become a staunch supporter of the club and of Graeme Richmond.

I know Graeme is conscious of the fact that he never played senior VFL football.

But he most certainly would have played had he not suffered a bad knee injury which put paid to his career when he was a star in the Richmond Thirds.

It’s old hat and poor thinking to say that only a past player can make a successful coach.

The reason for this belief is that players would not respect a coach who was not an outstanding player himself.

How could he ask them to do things he could not have done himself? Ask the critics.

It’s a question of respect and discipline.

Mr Richmond has both. Players and officials at Richmond have complete respect for him. And he is a firm disciplinarian.

Graeme is the man behind the rebirth of Richmond as a football power.

He is the man responsible for Richmond’s tremendous success this year and their phenomenal success in recruiting.

He has a keen football brain, as astute as any in the business.

I have no doubt he would make a top-line coach.

A former Geelong Grammar pupil, he impressed Richmond talent scouts as a footballer, but his career was cut short by the knee injury.

He later coached Richmond Thirds.

His father is a well-known Geelong supporter and a man of substance.

Graeme Richmond’s organising powers were well known to Richmond.

With Ray Dunn as president and a progressive committee installed, they looked for the right man to implement their rebuilding campaign.

As a coach he was a hell-raiser, demanding the ultimate of every player, and his discipline was strict.

He was approached by Richmond to become secretary and take charge of recruiting.

It meant passing up a lucrative job and losing money – but he accepted.

And the Tigers have never regretted the move. Without him they would never have climbed so far from the football depths.

As a selector at Richmond he has played a major part in the shrewd tactical moves which have won the Tigers so much acclaim this year.

He is one of the best talkers in the game.

There is no doubt he has the fire to set his players alight.

He has the discipline to see they follow instructions.

Only recently two promising young players were stood down because they were caught drinking beer.

He keeps a tight rein on the players and the effect this has had on the side is quite apparent.

Richmond have come from a rabble to a well-organised, disciplined side.

He has even used his own home to accommodate young players, recruited in the bush.

And his value to Richmond in recruiting is immeasurable.

Unlike some clubs he has built up Richmond’s prestige in every country centre, and the goodwill which follows will ensure Richmond’s continued supply of good recruits.

Probably his greatest admirer at the club is their powerful president, Mr Ray Dunn.

I hope Graeme Richmond does overcome any qualms he has about taking the coaching position.

I’m sure he would be a worthy coach, and it would be fitting if next year he coached Richmond into the four for the first time in 20 years.”

“And Jack “Captain Blood” Dyer, the greatest coach in the history of the Richmond club, supporters the move to appoint Graeme Richmond.

He says:

“If ever a man deserved a coaching position it is Graeme Richmond.

He has led the Tigers out of the football wilderness.

I know he will make a good coach. Until he came to the club, I was despairing of Richmond ever getting back on the ball. Credit to the others concerned, but to me there is one man who has sparked off this revival.

No coach can be a good coach without players. Graeme went out and got the players we haven’t had for so many years.

As for a coach, this is why I say he will succeed: Without being a dictator, he demands the last ounce from his men.

Talking is vital. Well, he’s one of the most dynamic speakers and shrewdest thinkers I’ve heard.

With those qualities and this side, how could he fail?

I love Richmond, and I don’t want anything but the best for them. With this man they’re getting it.

Graeme Richmond is Richmond by name and nature.”

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=174036
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd