Author Topic: Graham Polak clinches place at Tigerland  (Read 1036 times)

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Graham Polak clinches place at Tigerland
« on: March 02, 2010, 11:56:36 PM »
Graham Polak clinches place at Tigerland

Jon Ralph From: Herald Sun March 03, 2010 12:00AM

GRAHAM Polak's extraordinary journey back from injury is complete, with the Tigers to elevate him to senior football by Tuesday week's rookie elevation deadline.

With two listed spots remaining, the club has been determined not to guarantee any of its eight rookies elevation during the pre-season competition.

But it is understood Polak has done enough in his two pre-season games to clinch a spot, with the race still on for the last position.

The club does not have an official veteran, which means it can nominate two players to play senior football all year by the Tuesday after the NAB Cup final.

Hit by a tram in June 2008, Polak fought back to play the final two games of last season before being made a mature-aged rookie.

His improvement has been so significant, the club sees him as a vital part of its attack. It has been his ability to present as the club's main tall and draw the rival's best defender that has won over coachDamien Hardwick.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
In his two games so far this year, he has not dominated, but he has allowed second tallJack Riewoldt and mid-sized goalsneak Mitch Morton to flourish.

Forward Relton Roberts put in a quality audition for the final spot on the list against Geelong on Saturday.

But defender David Gourdis, midfielder Pat Contin and the club's five other rookies will also be considered in the club's last two pre-season games.

Richmond will make no announcement until all four games are played, but has been thrilled with Polak's progress.

Richmond football general manager Craig Cameron said: "We have dangled the carrot (of elevation) to all the rookies, but given his age and that he is a key position player he is starting in front.

"We have been very careful not to guarantee him a spot because we just had to see how he went.

"Structurally he's very important to us if he can show he can play at the level."

The club is aware its Yea win was over a below-strength Geelong side but its game plan was still able to stand up against the reigning premiers.

Trent Cotchin showed his managed regimen has been able to get him match-fit, while Dustin Martin's continued strong clearance work has put him in line for a Round 1 debut.

Hawthorn has three rookie-list spots to fill and with nine rookies under consideration, has a wealth of options.

Silky left-footer Garry Moss, forward Carl Peterson and former Dogs ruckman Wayde Skipper are all pushing strongly.

The club has to nominate one rookie within a fortnight, then can elevate two more throughout the year to replace players on the long-term injury list.

All of Trent Croad, Max Bailey and Luke Lowden are on the long-term list, which gives the club a wealth of options.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/graham-polak-clinches-place-at-tigerland/story-e6frf9jf-1225836271926
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Graham Polak clinches place at Tigerland
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 11:59:32 PM »
Well done Polly, thought this story deserved a thread of it's own but if not please feel free to post it in the rookie promotion one. I did want Gourdis as the second option but I think Roberts is a better fit for the side from what I have read and seen.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 01:09:04 AM »
It was obviously the plan all along to promote Polly but with our young forwards Astbury injured and Griffiths still not ready then Polly is the only realistic option up forward this year even if he is just a stopgap measure until the cubs replace him in time over the next year or two. Postie could've been another tall forward option as he played forward at times last year but he's been training down back all preseason.

Relton seems a no brainer for the other promotion spot after the Yea game. If he can back it up this Friday then I'd reckon he'll get the tick for round 1.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline crannyvegas

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 09:16:34 AM »

Relton seems a no brainer for the other promotion spot after the Yea game. If he can back it up this Friday then I'd reckon he'll get the tick for round 1.

Given his age and ability i agree that he is the best option for that other spot. Love to see him do his thing at the MCG round 1.

Do you think that if we have another poor performance defensively that Gourdis will come back into consideration?
Detka! Detka! Detka!

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 09:32:40 AM »
Agree on roberts. From those highlights he just knows how to time his run to the marking contest. Been a long time since we had some one with that ability.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 12:02:16 PM »
Congratulations to Polak but I am afraid to say Richardson's absence being felt massively on the back of this news.

the claw

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 08:05:37 PM »
good luck to him. i can understand the reasons i even agree with them we need an experienced kpf  but i still dont like it.

hes always been one i thought we had to upgrade on. we delist him only to put him back on the list. i would have prefered we tried some other kpd with experience even if only for a yr or two. i think everyone knows i was keen on bradshaw once richo announced his retirment. no questions about his quality and ability.

imo they took a big gamble in not targeting  a kpf the moment richo announced his retirement. at that stage they still didnt know if polak could overcome his injurys.

ah well we are now stuck with him like i said good luck to him i hope he can produce much more than hes shown in his first 8 yrs.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 08:13:31 PM »
imo they took a big gamble in not targeting  a kpf the moment richo announced his retirement.

Still pushing the Bradshaw wagon?
Even if he wanted to come to Melbourne, what a waste of money at this point that would have been claw and it might well have cost us a player like Cotchin.

the claw

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 08:37:37 PM »
imo they took a big gamble in not targeting  a kpf the moment richo announced his retirement.

Still pushing the Bradshaw wagon?
Even if he wanted to come to Melbourne, what a waste of money at this point that would have been claw and it might well have cost us a player like Cotchin.
sheesh so you think a 70 goal a yr  goal kicker not worth 500k a yr. please.

he nominated for the psd we only had to meet his terms  and take him with pick 2. the last time i looked the psd is still a draft and you take the chances risks that  goes with that.

we could have targeted 2 bradshaws and still had enough money for another one. and what rubbish getting bradshaw or any experienced player for that matter was never going to cost us cotchin. with mega room in the salary cap getting such a quality player should only make him even more keen to re-sign.
 sheesh i hope they arent paying him 500k a season. no matter how much the potential you have to prove it to  earn it.

oh and yep im still pushing the bradshaw barrow  i just happen to think he would have been very good for us. hmm polak or bradsnaw.  its a no brainer.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 08:59:54 PM »
Well done Polly - our new decoy forward!  :clapping  Judging on how Hardwick rated his Yea game, Polly will be used to take the pressure off Riewoldt and Morton and keep the number one opposition backman honest. If this is the case then, I'm happy to have him in the side until one of our young forwards pushes him out.

Stripes