Five axed Tigers have a future, says Rawlings
By Mic Cullen 11:46 AM Fri 12 June, 2009
RICHMOND caretaker coach Jade Rawlings says despite dropping five players for Saturday night's clash against West Coast, not one has had a line put though his name.
Rawlings and the match committee omitted nearly 800 games of experience for the round 12 match-up at Docklands, but the new coach said nothing sinister or long-term should be read into the selections.
Joel Bowden, Jordie McMahon, Troy Simmonds, Mark Coughlan and Kayne Pettifer were all axed.
But Rawlings said on Friday ahead of training at Punt Road he had talked extensively with all concerned and no problems existed with any of them.
Bowden in particular has been getting extensive support from Richmond supporters and members on talkback radio, and Rawlings said he understood where people were coming from.
"He's been an icon of the club, he's been fantastic," Rawlings said at Punt Rd on Thursday.
"I totally understand why he's got plenty of support – I'd be disappointed for him if there wasn't some support.
"It's been over probably a month – he's been on the borderline once or twice this year already, and to his credit he's fought back really well.
"He can easily generate the ball, he's shown that, but there's just some elements of his game he needs to tighten up."
Mark Coughlan is also back at Coburg again this week, but Rawlings was quick make the point that he was still expecting the 2003 best-and-fairest winner to be playing next year.
"He's a very optimistic sort of guy. We haven't spoken about next year, but I'm sure he thinks it, and I think it as well.
"He has been outstanding in where he's got himself back to – there was a lot of doubt after last year with what he went through as to whether he'd be able to get back at all.
"Somewhere that improvement has to plateau and it's probably just come to that at the moment."
Despite coming up against the league's top ruckman in Dean Cox, Rawlings said he was comfortable going in with youngsters in the ruck.
"Simmo (Simmonds) hasn't had a great couple of weeks, and after discussing it with him, he was prepared to try and push and fight to play this week.
"But once it was put to him it was going to be a struggle, he then revealed to me a couple of injuries, a couple of sore spots that he had.
"We've had three good chats this week about his next 10 to 12 weeks, and what's going to be best for him to be able to play the way he wants to play and give him a chance to fight for his career post-2009."
Rawlings said all the players coming back in were either returning from injury or had been playing well at Coburg, so there was no change for the sake of change.
Exclusive to AFL BigPond Network
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/78695/default.aspx