Author Topic: World Cup 2022 Bid [merged]  (Read 32607 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
World Cup 2022 Bid [merged]
« on: June 14, 2009, 10:29:01 PM »
AUSTRALIA has launched its bid to host the 2018 or 2022 soccer World Cup, with the event promising to bring a $3.9 billion bonanza to the nation.

The winning bidders will be announced in December, 2010.

Rival bidders for the 2018 World Cup are Australia, Belgium/Netherlands, England, Indonesia, Japan, Mexico, Portugal/Spain, Russia and United States

The same nations plus Qatar and South Korea will also bid for the 2022 World Cup.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25633831-11088,00.html

I reckon we have zero chance for 2018 as it'll go to Europe but 2022 is a chance.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline dizza

• Premiership Captain
Re: World Cup bid launched
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 02:53:03 AM »
would love to see the World Cup come to Australia!
Push up!

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 08:22:10 AM »
bring it on.......

look on those tools Andy D and his sidekicks face if we get the World Cup.

PRICELESS!!!!
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 03:44:41 PM »
Socceroos now ranked 16th in the world :thumbsup  (just ignore these rankings are dodgy lol :shh)

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/ranking/lastranking/gender=m/fullranking.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
No AFL for 2 months if Australia hosts the World Cup (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 05:14:54 AM »
FIFA will require all rival sporting competitions such as the AFL and NRL to halt for 2 months in June/July while the World Cup is on if Australia wins one of the 2018 or 2022 hosting bids.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/anger-at-fifa-code-violation/story-e6frf9if-1225790667585

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 06:15:46 PM »
It would make a mockery of the whole AFL season that year if there was two month break in the middle of the season. You can't just switch form on and off. We saw with Essendon in 1990 what a length break can do to a team's premiership chances. The main reason why Collingwood won it's only flag in the past 50 years.

There'd have to be a compromise. The AFL would have to be allowed to be played in the lead up to the World Cup at least and possibly the group stages even if it's on grounds not going to be used by the World Cup. The AFL could scrap the NAB Cup that year and play from Feb to June. With 18 teams everyone just plays everyone once. The AFL with contracts in place with the various grounds and tv rights can be demand major compensation - not only in terms of $$$ but also use the WC as a opportunity for soccer and the Governments to pay for new/updated oval stadia in Perth, Adelaide, a 3rd ground in Melbourne, more ovals in Sydney and Brisbane etc...

Does anyone here know if Baseball stopped completely in the States when the US had the World Cup in 1994?

Ramps

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 11:02:15 AM »
Im against the World Cup coming to Australia. Australia doesnt deserve the World Cup after its soccer authorities engaged in ethnic cleansing. That goes against everything FIFA stands for.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 11:54:37 AM »
Does anyone here know if Baseball stopped completely in the States when the US had the World Cup in 1994?

I think there may have been a players strike at the time MT

And i have to say the idea that all other sporting codes go on hold not just during the 4 weeks of the World Cup itself but the 4 weeks prior is an absolute joke. What are those of us who aren't soccer fans supposed to do for 8 weeks, play scrabble (not that there's anything wrong with that  ;D). Sorry I'd rather not have the thing in Australia if we have to have these rules in place.

To be brutally honest I think this whole bid thing is a waste of money when we have a hospital system that is in chaos, we have aging equipment in our defence forces and our older citizens struggle to live on the pension 
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 12:35:21 PM »
World Cup stared on Friday June 17 1994 in the U.S with the opening ceremony and a 1-0 win for Germany over Bolivia.

The last games of baseball were played in about August that year so baseball was being played at the time of the WC, it was just that the WC was played at predominantely NFL grounds around the country.

To further add to the argument at stopping the AFL and NRL as an NBA fan Hakeem Olajuwon was up against Patrick Ewing in the NBA Championship playoffs and the series went to 7 games. The last three if my memory is right were played whilst the WC was on. For the record the Rockets won 4-3.

I don't agree with the AFL and NRL having a mid season hiatus for the explicit reason for the way the FFA went about the genocide of the ethnic football fan.  Furthermore knowing our luck the Tigers would be 9-0 at the break and finish ninth at the end of the season. Just not feasable. Footy grounds would be used and the World Cup would never be played in September when all the major leagues in Europe and Sth America will have already resumed. Australia has a unique sporting culture but FIFA will never accept that and shift the WC from the end of the European Season. It would affect transfers and such. Waste of my taxpaying dollars lobbying for this. Just a gimmick to get dwindling crowds going to A league matches and a not very smart attempt to get soccer into the fabric of our sporting culture.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009, 09:45:32 PM »
The World Cup is the biggest sporting event in the world. Even bigger than the Olympics. No Government would want to miss out on the opportunity of massive publicity for Australia and the cities where each game will be held plus the tens of thousands of visitors/fans from right around the world who will fly in to watch their national side and spend at local hotels, restaurants, retail stores, etc. If you want to be cynical about the motive then just think of what motivates politicians = votes! Plenty of jobs and millions of dollars for the local economy in this bid plus the feelgood factor of being the sporting capital of the world. Pollies since ancient Rome have learnt to survive you give the people what they want.

I agree it's not practical/feasible for the AFL to shutdown midseason but if FIFA chooses Australia then it'll be in Australia. Domestic sporting issues will be irrelevant. It'll be made to work and everyone will be seen to tow the line for the country's benefit.

As for t FFA ethnic cleansing soccer  ???. The ethnic NSL clubs did that themselves bankrupting the old NSL and Soccer Australia :yep. Anyway the Victory thanks the Melbourne Knights for Mate Dugandzic. At only 20 he's a beauty!  :thumbsup

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 11:42:40 PM »
The idea that rival codes should stop just for the world cup is ridiculous. Do FIFA really think that the worlds soccer (football if you like) fans coming to Australia are going to attend AFL or NRL games at the expense of watching world cup games? And I thought the AFL was run by dictatorial morons. Surely, if they were stupid enough to play the world cup in the middle of a southern winter to start with, the AFL/NRL would compliment the experience of visiting fans, not detract from it.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 07:41:31 PM »
The idea that rival codes should stop just for the world cup is ridiculous. Do FIFA really think that the worlds soccer (football if you like) fans coming to Australia are going to attend AFL or NRL games at the expense of watching world cup games? And I thought the AFL was run by dictatorial morons. Surely, if they were stupid enough to play the world cup in the middle of a southern winter to start with, the AFL/NRL would compliment the experience of visiting fans, not detract from it.
Despite Blatter's delusional denials when told AFL is the most popular football code in Australia, FIFA knows Aussie rules is king in Oz and NRL is big in NSW/QLD especially as a tv sport. It's a combination of giving soccer all the publicity for two months as well as needing major grounds (40k+) in perfect condition for the WC (footy and rugby cuts up the turf too much and the grass needs to be a different length for soccer).  It's stupid as it does nothing to convert a country where a homegrown football code is most popular. 15 years after the WC in the USA, NFL is still the No.1 spectator sport and bigger than ever.

Btw the World Cup next year will be in the middle of the southern hemisphere winter in South Africa ( is rugby halting for 2 months over there? ) and it's been held in Chile (1962) and Argentina (1978 ) in the past so having the WC in midwinter is not something new for FIFA.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2009, 07:58:49 PM »
By southern winter i meant Southern Australia, ie cold and miserable (cant really say wet anymore though, but it is a possibility). Once you get higher than the tropic of capricorn then the middle months will generally give the best weather, from a comfort point of view.

Do you know whether the games are to be/were played in the north, south or both, of the counties you mentioned? I would have thought that for one of the worlds showcase sporting events you would be looking to attempt to have the best conditions you can.

The point about the grass being a different length is interesting. I wasn't aware of that and can see how it would be problematic.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2009, 02:25:52 PM »
Do you know whether the games are to be/were played in the north, south or both, of the counties you mentioned? I would have thought that for one of the worlds showcase sporting events you would be looking to attempt to have the best conditions you can.
Buenos Aires and Santiago would be roughly on the same latitude as a Sydney or Perth. All host cities/towns in Argentina/Chile would be south of 30 degress latitude. Capetown in South Africa will even be slightly further south but not a far as Melbourne is.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2009, 04:11:57 PM »
Buenos Aires and Santiago would be roughly on the same latitude as a Sydney or Perth. All host cities/towns in Argentina/Chile would be south of 30 degress latitude. Capetown in South Africa will even be slightly further south but not a far as Melbourne is.

I have to admit to being a little bewildered by that. I would have thought that at those latitudes you would be looking to late spring/early summer for such an event. Is there some other programming reasoning behind risking having the world cup played in dreary, cold and wet conditions when it is the southern hemisphere?