Author Topic: World Cup 2022 Bid [merged]  (Read 38053 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Will a World Cup in Australia damage the AFL?
« Reply #105 on: June 04, 2010, 02:11:04 PM »
The stadium on the Gold Coast isn't Carrara it is Skilled Park that they built for the Titans and ALeague.

Carrara is a differnet venue

They will be using Carrara if we win the bid WP  ;). Skilled Park at Robina couldn't be expanded to the required 40k minimum demanded by FIFA so they'll need to upgrade Carrara instead. And don't the AFL-haters from other codes up and arms about it  :lol.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #106 on: June 04, 2010, 02:40:37 PM »
They will be using Carrara if we win the bid WP  ;). Skilled Park at Robina couldn't be expanded to the required 40k minimum demanded by FIFA so they'll need to upgrade Carrara instead. And don't the AFL-haters from other codes up and arms about it  :lol.

Geniunely surprised by that as Skilled Park holds about 30-35k - why wouldn't you upgrade that? But you are saying they can't  :-\

Stupid situation

The real question is will win a bid I suppose?

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #107 on: June 04, 2010, 04:52:12 PM »

Geniunely surprised by that as Skilled Park holds about 30-35k - why wouldn't you upgrade that? But you are saying they can't  :-\

Stupid situation

Odds are against our bid if the FFA and its mouthpieces are already blaming the AFL even before the FIFA delegates arrive to look the facilities in our bid. But as with the IOC you never know with FIFA. The politics are dirty and delegates can vote for whoever woos them the most with cash and pressies  :whistle.

Robina stadium has a capacity of 27,400 according to wikipedia. I've never been there but I was told it couldn't be expanded. Is it crowded in by what surrounds it - streets, properties, etc?

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #108 on: June 04, 2010, 05:58:22 PM »

Stupid situation

Odds are against our bid if the FFA and its mouthpieces are already blaming the AFL even before the FIFA delegates arrive to look the facilities in our bid. But as with the IOC you never know with FIFA. The politics are dirty and delegates can vote for whoever woos them the most with cash and pressies  :whistle.

Robina stadium has a capacity of 27,400 according to wikipedia. I've never been there but I was told it couldn't be expanded. Is it crowded in by what surrounds it - streets, properties, etc?

Quite the contrary MT, there is a river on one end, train station on one side, but no reason the other two sides could not be expanded.

It could be that given there is a (man-made?) river in the area it is geologically unstable and would 'sink' so to speak if it were made significantly larger? Also, I think it could be structurally an expensive task, given the stadium was designed as a 'boutique' stadium which is symmetric, would require a lot of re-architecting of the design

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #109 on: June 04, 2010, 06:08:22 PM »
Just on first viewing it would seem that Melbourne is getting a raw deal -

MCG and Skilled down the road which is effectively the same as Brisbane.

I agree with WP. They should have had a little more foresight here and planned for the possibility of a WC bid and made the Gold Coast and Melbourne rectangular stadiums reconfigurable to > 40k.

I happen to think that the 3 or 4 oval grounds detracts from our bid greatly and might even be the decisive factor (compared to the US, who are a bigger market, more agreeable timezone, have > 100 rectangular stadia > 50k, more corporate backing, even if they did host it very recently). Particularly as the MCG will host a final/3rd 4th playoff or semi at least.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #110 on: June 11, 2010, 04:17:37 AM »
Australia has pulled out of the 2018 bid process which is not unexpected as the 2018 World Cup was always going to Europe. So the Australian bid focus is now solely on 2022.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/australia-drops-out-of-race-to-host-2018-world-cup/story-e6frf9if-1225878245682

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #111 on: June 11, 2010, 08:15:58 PM »
Australia has pulled out of the 2018 bid process which is not unexpected as the 2018 World Cup was always going to Europe. So the Australian bid focus is now solely on 2022.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/australia-drops-out-of-race-to-host-2018-world-cup/story-e6frf9if-1225878245682

good move. from the news it seems like FIFA is happy about it and some of the european delegates

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #112 on: June 11, 2010, 09:39:46 PM »
Nothing new out of us pulling out of 2018 as we weren't a chance for that year anyway except if we've secured a few European votes for 2022 for doing so. If we have then we'll be a good chance to host 2022.

Quite the contrary MT, there is a river on one end, train station on one side, but no reason the other two sides could not be expanded.

It could be that given there is a (man-made?) river in the area it is geologically unstable and would 'sink' so to speak if it were made significantly larger? Also, I think it could be structurally an expensive task, given the stadium was designed as a 'boutique' stadium which is symmetric, would require a lot of re-architecting of the design
Ta Jake. That must be the reason. All I know is they said Robina couldn't be expanded.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #113 on: July 13, 2010, 03:10:20 PM »
For our countries enconomy claiming the world cup is indesputably a huge benefit. For the AFL, despite the improvements to the grounds, obtaining the biggest showcase of the round ball game would be increbibly dangerous. The buildup, interest from the general Australian public and children in paricular, the damage to media rights, reduction in attendances and participation etc could be disasterous for the code. The way the AFL played out the stadium issue was clever and may yet sway FIFA away from our country.

I would like to see the event held here but with interest from a much bigger market in America, who has similar strong native sports which are so far holding back the growth of soccer, coupled with the problems already faced, I would not be surprized if we miss out. In saying this though, their must be a reason why we have chosen to bid now... :-\

Stripes

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #114 on: July 13, 2010, 10:27:41 PM »
For our countries enconomy claiming the world cup is indesputably a huge benefit. For the AFL, despite the improvements to the grounds, obtaining the biggest showcase of the round ball game would be increbibly dangerous. The buildup, interest from the general Australian public and children in paricular, the damage to media rights, reduction in attendances and participation etc could be disasterous for the code. The way the AFL played out the stadium issue was clever and may yet sway FIFA away from our country.

I would like to see the event held here but with interest from a much bigger market in America, who has similar strong native sports which are so far holding back the growth of soccer, coupled with the problems already faced, I would not be surprized if we miss out. In saying this though, their must be a reason why we have chosen to bid now... :-\

Stripes
Lowy wants it here before he conks off is one reason. I also think the FFA saw it as an opportunity to get a whole bunch of Soccer boutique stadia for free via the World Cup bid and if the other codes complained the Federal Government and FIFA would force the other codes to back down. It didn't work as the we're using mostly existing AFL/NRL stadia in the bid as was always going to be the case.

I don't see the World Cup bid as a threat to Aussie Rules. Sure Soccer will get a surge around 2022 but as happened in the USA 10-15 years on from hosting the World Cup the dominant football code before the Cup will still be the dominant football code afterwards. In fact the NFL is bigger and more popular than ever over there. The same will happen with Aussie Rules. I mean we all got behind the Sydney Olympics as a once in a lifetime event packing the arenas for all sports and watching it in record numbers on tv but we all didn't rush out and become 100m sprinters or 1500m swimmers.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #115 on: September 23, 2010, 07:03:36 PM »

Stripes
Lowy wants it here before he conks off is one reason. I also think the FFA saw it as an opportunity to get a whole bunch of Soccer boutique stadia for free via the World Cup bid and if the other codes complained the Federal Government and FIFA would force the other codes to back down. It didn't work as the we're using mostly existing AFL/NRL stadia in the bid as was always going to be the case.

I don't see the World Cup bid as a threat to Aussie Rules. Sure Soccer will get a surge around 2022 but as happened in the USA 10-15 years on from hosting the World Cup the dominant football code before the Cup will still be the dominant football code afterwards. In fact the NFL is bigger and more popular than ever over there. The same will happen with Aussie Rules. I mean we all got behind the Sydney Olympics as a once in a lifetime event packing the arenas for all sports and watching it in record numbers on tv but we all didn't rush out and become 100m sprinters or 1500m swimmers.

association football is not swimming.

the above is a very poor argument.

Nathan Tinkler pumping his 100s millions into newcastle jets makes the game stronger also.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #116 on: September 25, 2010, 12:06:07 AM »

Stripes

association football is not swimming.

the above is a very poor argument.

Nathan Tinkler pumping his 100s millions into newcastle jets makes the game stronger also.
Tinkler put his money in to save Newcastle from becoming extinct; not to make the game stronger. The problem with private ownership in Australia is it is flimsy. In the past private ownership has failed in every football code. No real surprise when the types to get into owning sporting clubs in Oz are the idiotic Clive Palmer's of this world who see a sporting club as their private plaything rather than truly caring about the club and its supporters best and lomg-term interests. Clubs of all codes need a strong membership-based structure to prosper. There needs to be a connection between fans and club. It's the reason the Victory is the most successful Soccer club both on and off-field. Expanding into too many provincial areas with small support way too fast and relying on a mad billionaire or a consortium of wealthy individuals was a dumb mistake by the FFA. The old NSL should have reminded them that prissy little clubs drag the whole league down. Time to tell Clive and CGU to get lost.

True Soccer isn't swimming Bents but it's not Aussie Rules or Rugby League with 100+ years of embedded domestic club culture and mass media coverage either. I have always felt Soccer would be better off following Cricket or Rugby Union rather than trying to copy the AFL and NRL models. The former sports have hugely popular national teams (it's their main bread and butter as well), they pump resources into junior participation and development, and they have relative newish domestic comps (T20 and Super 15) that are structured in a way to attract crowds, sponsors and even free-to-air tv deals. Soccer has to forget about trying to become like the AFL and NRL, who both have an established 100+ year culture that pervades through society, and instead find its niche at the domestic level to live within its means and thrive. If that means going back to 8 "state-based" clubs playing between Oct-Feb and limiting marque player's salaries based on each club's capacity to pay then so be it.

Anyway the choice for the host of 2022 WC is practically down to two (Australian vs USA) given the FIFA delegates were critical of the logistics of the Qatar bid (no surprise). The FFA need to not put all their eggs in the one 'WC bid success' basket otherwise if we don't get it they'll be making the same mistake Soccer Australia did with the failed 1997 WC qualification :-\.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #117 on: September 29, 2010, 04:18:52 AM »
Not sure how this improves Australia's chances of hosting 2022. England was never really interested in 2022 as 2018 has been designated to a European nation. This sounds more like England and the US have done a deal to support each other's bid :-\

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/england-to-withdraw-2022-world-cup-bid/story-e6frf9if-1225931351657

AUSTRALIA'S chances of securing the 2022 soccer World Cup have improved dramatically with England announcing it will "almost certainly" withdraw from the race to focus on its 2018 bid.

That decision is dependent on the United States withdrawing its bid for the 2018 Cup.

An English withdrawal would leave Australia competing with the US, Russia, Spain-Portugal, Belgium-Netherlands, Japan, Qatar and South Korea for the 2022 tournament.

David Dein, international president of England's bid, said it was "almost certain" that England would put all their energies into a bid for the earlier tournament.

"It won't be long before the United States will withdraw from 2018 leaving themselves a run on 2022," he said.

"Consequently we will almost certainly withdraw from 2022."

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #118 on: October 25, 2010, 08:00:10 PM »
It doesn't make it right but I'm surprised people are shocked that FIFA, like the IOC with the Olympics, are corrupt as buggery when it comes to deciding the next host of the World Cup. The deciding delegates have not only their snouts in the trough but also their hooves as well. The only difference this time around is the bribery and blank chequebook auction has got out into the public domain. As the old saying goes you can only believe the delegates who have said they aren't voting for you.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/8084268/World-Cup-2018-new-claims-add-weight-to-Fifa-vote-fixing-scandal.html
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/former-fifa-boss-sets-bribe-targets/story-fn63e0vj-1225942959560

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #119 on: November 30, 2010, 07:09:48 AM »
Three more of the FIFA delegates who will decide who host the World Cup in 2022 have been accused off corruption and kick-backs

http://www.goal.com/en-india/news/140/world-cup-2010/2010/11/30/2237803/bbc-panorama-accuses-three-fifa-executive-committee-members