Author Topic: Is this the new dawn?  (Read 2256 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Is this the new dawn?
« on: October 14, 2004, 02:54:00 AM »
To be following the Tigers all this time and especially the past 20 years you need to have some faith in our fortunes finally turning around for the better. With Miller, Wallace, 5 draft picks in the 20 and zero tolerance for players who aren't fair dinkum, how confident are we in believing this a true dawn of a new era compared to the false hopes of 95 and 2001?

Despite expecting 2005 to get ugly on-field, my faith in the Club making the right decisions for our future has mostly been pretty much restored the past month or so.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline H Tiger

• Premiership Captain
  • Tigers the biggest hunter
Re: Is this the new dawn?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 08:29:40 AM »
How ugly we talking next year MT?

Hoping it's the new dawn, we have to have faith.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2004, 03:28:37 PM »
How ugly we talking next year MT?

Results wise HT I'm not expecting to see us win too many more games than we did this year (I hope I'm wrong). I am expecting to see a better and more disciplined and direct brand of footy though under Wallace. We have replaced Otto with Simmonds so our tall stocks for next year will remain the same (still deficient especially down back) and we will replace a few "duds" with some top young talent. So our list in terms of the 22 running out each week won't be far too different to 2004. The fruits from these young kids won't be seen for a couple of years yet until they have something like 50 games under their belts.

We just need to be patient for a little while longer. Each year from now on should be better than the previous as we watch these kids develop and hopefully quite a number into stars. Most importantly we as Tiger supporters need to buy our memberships as it's an investment in these top kids.

The ride over the next few years should be a good one :thumbsup.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 03:42:21 PM »
Nothing is certain MT, but if we don’t have faith then we don’t have much reason to be patient and persist.

There’s probably been a few times when many of us thought we were on the right track, only to see us quickly shoot ourselves in the foot and go backwards instead.

But, with the changes that continue to be made and seeing that we are going down the path of building and developing the playing list (with players who have a footy brain and the traits needed to succeed at AFL level), rather than going for short-term, quick fixes, gives me confidence to say that we can and will turn things around.

These things take time though and I know people get tired of hearing that we need stability, but if we get impatient with people because we don’t get immediate results then we will just continue the vicious cycle and eventually need to start all over again, as we have done so many times before.  Thereby ensuring we never get anywhere, simply because we’re always starting all over again.

We just need to persist and stick to a plan, for long enough for it to work.  Things don’t always go as we would like, but if we have the patience to persist with what Greg Miller has started to do then I know we can get off mediocrity street a whole lot quicker than any other way we have tried before.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Ox

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2004, 03:52:11 PM »
I'd be happy if the club simply put into motion a well thought out fitness program for everyone.
IMO we suck on that level and have for ever.

I dont xpect us to win much more than last year but again will be pleased if the breeding
of young stock is continuedx10.
This will expose those who have been frawlyised and make the hard decisions easy come year end.

Bottom 4,anything above will be either a bonus or a curse.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2004, 04:43:57 PM »
It is funny but I honestly think we will win between 9-11 games.

Why?

History tells us for some reason we always improve immediately with a new coach. We did it with Gieschen & Frawley - it is the subsequent years when we struggle. Fringe players always seem to improve for the short term under a new coach. Probably because they are playing for their futures. The positive with this is this time round is I don't think Wallace will be sucked in by it and those coming out of contract in 2005 will probably still be shown the door.

If we win 9-11 I'll be happy (and not shocked) but at the same time if we win 4-7 and the young guys continue to improve and be developed playing attacking footy then I will be happy with that as well. :thumbsup

I'd be happy if the club simply put into motion a well thought out fitness program for everyone.
IMO we suck on that level and have for ever.

I agree with you on this Ox, I have to admit that I am staggered that none of the fitness blokes have gone with the coaching change because let's be honest we looked so unfit and our inability to run out games in 2004 was; to be blunt disgraceful. That our best young player was put out on the filed when he was clearly injured and not fit to play was unforgivable :banghead Do I need to go on?

« Last Edit: October 14, 2004, 04:46:32 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2004, 05:33:48 PM »
Alot will depend on us drafting the right kids, we Have to get it right.

Wallace and Royal should be able to develop the kids better than any other coach we've had since Northey so I'm not to much worried by that aspect of things, but the draft selections....well....have to be spot on.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

froars

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2004, 05:47:23 PM »
Don't know if its a new dawn, but at least it's heading in the right direction.  Youth is the key and getting rid of players who have played under past unsuccessful regimes.
I'm sure Doggie, Dees, Swans, Geelong, Saints etc supporters would be thinking the same thing - they've been all doing much the same things of late and i'm sure they're thinking it's a new dawn as well.
Proof will come i guess, but i'm happy with the current direction, although I'd like to finish last next year to get another group of young kids cos i don't see us doing anything for a couple of years, so may as well finish last again.  I have the patience unlike some supporters and could go another year of disappointment if i saw the kids improving each week.  And then after 2005, set out to become a power again.

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2004, 12:09:42 PM »

We havent kicked a footy yet and we're heralding a new dawn. Please!

I still remember the days when Terry Wallace was begging every team to let him coach, and only the bullies gave him an assistants job.

We'll know its a new dawn on 30 Sept 2006, and not a day sooner!