Author Topic: "If I was Nathan Buckley I would take on the biggest sleeper in the AFL" Hird  (Read 3241 times)

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Could there be a Buckley Hird tag team as coach????

Gracie, don't make it any more harder than it already is mate... :thumbsup
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
I would take Hird over Buckley anyday. The fact that he is an extremely successful businessman, comments for the media yet still remains objective gives him a far broader and meaningful coaching skill set to Buckley. Bucks has made special comments, coached some underage kids and taken a few trips overseas - this doesn't compare.

Hird is not interested in coaching but that is our loss and Buckley's gain (at least at North  :P)

Stripes

Offline nahadaman

• Future Richmond star
Hird and Buckley tag team. What are you tripping!

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
I would take Hird over Buckley anyday. The fact that he is an extremely successful businessman, comments for the media yet still remains objective gives him a far broader and meaningful coaching skill set to Buckley. Bucks has made special comments, coached some underage kids and taken a few trips overseas - this doesn't compare.

Hird is not interested in coaching but that is our loss and Buckley's gain (at least at North  :P)

Stripes
I disagree, but I guess we'll never know

Hird just yells Tim Watson MkII to me, except Watson actually wanted to coach. Hird's never shown any desire for coaching in fact he's distanced himself from it as much as possible. He's a bloody smart guy, but I just don't think he has the fire in the belly for it. He's won his premierships, has a successful business life outside of football, a few newspaper articles and special comments aside, he just doesn't seem like having the personality required to need a fulltime career in football, especially coaching an AFL side.

Very few superstar players are able to become great coaches. Successful players definitely, but not superstars. Leight Matthews is arguably the greatest player in the game, but I wouldn't say that was based off natural ability, more hard work. This remains a question mark over Buckley too, however his lack of premierships as a player makes me think the drive to get one as a coach would be massive. Regardless, I still wouldn't have him as #1 candidate on my list.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
Bucks strikes me as more of a traditional hard edged coach 'type' than Jimmy.

However Paul Roos ain't your typical coach type and he's worked wonders with Sydney.

Reckon the best ones can strike a balance between serious and still connecting with their players.

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
If we could get buckley I'd take it. He'd put our boys into line pretty quick. He's young, he's driven, you know he is going to work his ass off. He'll take no prisoners.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Nathan Buckley should take punt on Tigers - James Hird (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2009, 05:24:58 AM »
Nathan Buckley should take punt on Tigers - James Hird
James Hird | July 14, 2009 11:37pm

NATHAN Buckley should coach Richmond next year.

Richmond Football Club is the biggest sleeper in Australian sport. It's been 29 years since Richmond won its last premiership. That was 1980. The flag was Richmond's fifth in 14 years.

The man who brings glory back to this club will have an exalted place in history.

Mick Malthouse looks highly likely to continue as Collingwood coach next year.

Blog with James Hird at www.superfooty.com.au from 2-3pm today

Nathan Buckley as the head of Collingwood is a romantic notion, but even if Bucks had the chance to return to the Pies as senior coach, he would be finishing someone else's work.

For a competitive animal such as Buckley, the lure of starting with a fresh canvas at the most difficult club of all should be difficult to resist.

Related LinksBlog: Robbo discusses the coaching dilemmas
James Hird live: Blog with Hirdy from 2-3pm today
Richmond has the potential to be a true powerhouse.

It has a fan base almost equal to the traditional big three Melbourne clubs (Collingwood, Carlton and Essendon) and in terms of passion, the yellow and black supporters are second to none.

These fans have massive expectations and the past lack of success has left them salivating at any sign of hope.

There's nothing new in any of this. Exactly the same carrot - leading the terrible Tigers out of the wilderness back to their glory days of the '60s and '70s - lured Terry Wallace to Punt Rd five years ago.

Truth is there have been plenty of false dawns during the past 30 years, sadly based more on passion than reality.

Nathan Buckley can change this. How is the big question.

Obviously he brings vast footy knowledge, tactical smarts, man-management qualities and a palpable passion for the game to the table. Perhaps less obvious and measurable is his presence. It's there in spades.

I first met Nathan when we were schoolboys playing football in Canberra.

He was far and away the best player in the team, and it was obvious to everyone he had a career in football ahead of him. His passion and intensity for the game set him apart.

As rivals for many years, I have watched him up close and from a distance.

"I have no doubt Nathan Buckley will bring an aura to a club that few can deliver. When Bucks speaks, people listen.

There is an historical precedence to Buckley and Richmond.

For fear of mentioning Kevin Sheedy and Richmond in the same breath, there is a lot to learn from his 27 years at Essendon.

Sheeds took over at Windy Hill when the Bombers were struggling.

Essendon had slipped to a middle-of-the-road club who had not tasted premiership success for 15 years.

Kevin's approach was to take no prisoners, work the players like they had never been worked and mobilise the board to support him.

Bucks, like Kevin, is his own man. From all reports he is a good listener but when it comes time to make a decision there is no doubt who has made it.

Buckley would bring innovative and clear thinking to Richmond. He would have no worries telling those in the office and out on the field what needed to be done.

As well qualified as Nathan is to coach the Tigers, it is Buckley who would benefit the most from the marriage.

Success at the Tigers would be like success at no other club. If Buckley was to bring home premiership No. 11 to Punt Rd his place in football history would have an extra dimension.

Given that coaches have been trying for 30 years to get this once-powerful club off the canvas, success at Richmond would stamp his greatness.

I don't underestimate the challenge. It is a job that has gobbled up Wallace, Robert Walls, John Northey and Danny Frawley. Surely it was not their fault alone that success did not come.

From the outside, Richmond looks more stable at board and management level. It's playing list needs some hard cuts, but has potential.

If Buckley can gain assurances that he will get the time and support he needs, the chance to coach Richmond is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that he should not pass up.

Blog with James Hird at www.superfooty.com.au from 2-3pm today

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25784552-19742,00.html

Ramps

Hird understands the whole scenario at Richmond. Its a shame he himself isnt a candidate.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
A magnificent piece.

I'm backing Buckley to pick Richmond, as I've said all along: The challenge that is the Richmond FC is simply to big to deny. As Hird said if he is to succeed he will be exalted forever.

I hope Nathan gets the job.
Go Tigers!

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Yes Hird a great article, I have been a supporter of Bucks since the coaching merry go round started, well come to think of it I have been supportive of just about every name thrown up... ;)

Anyway, you cannot deny the talk within the football community, media and supporters of just how good Buckly is and what he could be and bring to to uor club. I really hope that once the process has been followed Nathan Buckley is the man standing in front of the Jack Dyer statue having his picture taken.

The one thing that I keep hearing about Buckley other than his football smarts and player admiration is; he will not put up with crap off the players, he will go in there and clean the place out of the dead wood he has been commentating on over the past season and he will get the respect of the remaining players or they will feel his rath.

VOTE NO. 1 FOR BUCKLEY AS THE NEXT RFC COACH, I am officially on your wagon Bucks.... :pray :bow :clapping
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
3aw brought up for the conspiracy theorists out there that Hird works for the same company as Ben Crowe who is chairman of the RFC's preliminary selection panel.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Here's a transcript of Hirdy's live chat

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25785424-19742,00.html

* It is hard to say where the coaching jobs will fall, but i think Richmond is a very good chance [to get Buckley]

* I do not think that it is about doing an apprentiship, it is about how prepared someone is to take on the role put in front of them. Bucks in my opinion has been preparing his whole life to be a coach. An assistant role for some is necessary but in Nathan's case i belive from a distance that he is ready. Only time will tell if he is ready to coach or not.

* there is a risk that you could fail at the job and not recover, but that is why i like Nathan as the coach. He is a tough competitor, who will not allow himself to fail or be destroyed by the culture.

* It is not just the role of the coach to make cultural changes but the board and executive as well. This looks like it is happening at Richmond.

* I do believe that there is room at Richmond for Richo and Cousins. Ben has shown some real form of late and in my opinion was always going to be better in 2010 than he was in 2009.

* No I do not think the game has past Sheeds. He is a passionate football person and whould offer a club a lot if they appointed him as senior coach.

* Richmond has a lot of options, and from my understanding the process is going very well.

* Jade has done a very good job to date. He has the Tigers playing a confident brand of football and with a bit of luck could have beaten the blues on Saturday. I don't think he is the favorite but you never know what can happen if he does well in the next 7 weeks.

[Comment From Tania]
James, don't forget to pick up some milk on the way home honey. 
Thanks Darl, do we need bread as well.   ;D

Jackstar is back

Funny game footy
The Richmond supporters use to hate Buckleys guts, Hird just as bad.
Its like a person who is dying and reaches out for religion.
The Richmond supporters reaching out for Bucks as there savior .

For what its worth , would love to see him at Punt Road. :gotigers

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
Funny game footy

I cant recall anyone I know saying they hated Hird , he's never been that love him or hate him wayne carey type...nup, wrong tram there partner :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
Funny game footy

I cant recall anyone I know saying they hated Hird , he's never been that love him or hate him wayne carey type...nup, wrong tram there partner :shh

I hated him. And for the same reason I hated Craig Bradley