Author Topic: Deledio's 2009 ups and downs mirror Tigers'  (Read 704 times)

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Deledio's 2009 ups and downs mirror Tigers'
« on: July 14, 2009, 12:01:39 PM »
By Mic Cullen
 11:41 AM Tue 14 July, 2009RICHMOND midfielder Brett Deledio says he's not due any pats on the back from Tigers supporters.

Deledio is the club's reigning Jack Dyer medallist as best and fairest, but this year his form has been as inconsistent as that of the team.

Fronting the media at Punt Rd on Tuesday ahead of his 100th match, Deledio admitted both he and the team needed to improve considerably.

"Oh mate, I'm still inconsistent, I know that," he said.

"I don't expect to get any pats on the back, I haven't done anything this year.

"Like I said, the side's been a bit inconsistent as well – or very inconsistent – so that's something we're improving on, and I'm trying to improve on myself."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/80622/default.aspx
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Deledio's 2009 ups and downs mirror Tigers'
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 12:02:36 PM »
Well at least he is honest and I would expect him to thrive next year with the new coach in place, good on you lids.

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 01:26:07 PM »
Speaks well,

Been assessed amazingly harsh this year.

Not every number top 3 draft pick has to be a Brownlow medalist by 24.
Go Tigers!

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 08:08:40 PM »
What about re-signing with the club?

Am I missing something here, any other club - this would be the number 1 focus..

Why would the media avoid asking the question, why would the club let this meander along to the end of the season?
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Stalled Tigers an all-too familiar story for frustrated Deledio (Age)
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 05:23:23 AM »
Stalled Tigers an all-too familiar story for frustrated Deledio
Martin Boulton | July 15, 2009

BRETT Deledio's arrival in the AFL coincided with his once feared football club finishing on the bottom of the ladder, a clean-out of unwanted players and the arrival of a new coach.

Almost five years later, the former No. 1 draft pick has seen a lot of change, but not much on-field reward.

On the eve of his 100th game, the coach who came to Punt Road with a five-year plan has gone, another permanent coach will be appointed post-season and the 22-year-old midfielder has a sense of deja vu.

"It is disappointing, but the future is looking bright here, we've got some good kids coming through and we're always striving to better ourselves," Deledio said, putting his best spin on a disastrous season.

He said the extra scrutiny that came with being the first youngster picked in the '04 draft created "a little bit" of extra pressure, but his situation wasn't helped by playing in a success-starved team.

In his first year — when he debuted as 17-year-old on the MCG — the extra attention wasn't a major concern because he was "just out there enjoying footy" and thrilled to be playing for the Tigers.

He played all 22 games in '05, won the AFL's Rising Star medal, was picked to represent his country in the international rules series and despite the Tigers finishing 12th, the future looked bright.

It wasn't until his second year, when the Tigers finished ninth, that he admits feeling he had to "perform a bit more", and the misfortunes of his battling team began weighing more heavily on his mind.

"It (the No. 1 draft tag) puts the pressure on because you're expected to be winning games for your team, but it's about 22 blokes and not just one.

"If you're having team success it makes it easier individually and that's what we're trying to do — build success and get experience into young blokes."

Gaining experience is one area Deledio has excelled — playing 99 of a possible 103 games since round one, 2005. He missed just one game in '06 and three games in '07 after breaking his hand in round 14.

In 22 games last year he averaged 24 disposals, kicked 28 goals and won the coveted Jack Dyer Medal — becoming the club's youngest best and fairest winner since Matthew Knights in 1990.

Again the club missed the top eight and this season the slide from finals contention arrived sooner than usual.

While proud to be playing his 100th game, Deledio admits he is far from satisfied with his overall performance this year.

"I am still inconsistent … I don't expect to get any pats on the back," he said. "I haven't done anything this year and the side has been inconsistent as well, but it's something we are trying to improve on and something I am trying to improve on."

On Sunday against North Melbourne the Tigers can snatch a second win under stand-in coach Jade Rawlings. Deledio said "everyone knows exactly where they stand" under Rawlings.

"We've put a lot of things in place," he said.

"Everyone knows exactly what their role is, and the main thing is there's been a really clear message … week in, week out."

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/stalled-tigers-a-familiar-story-for-deledio/2009/07/14/1247337122810.html

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 12:10:36 PM »
Anyone else think that Lid's has come out saying what he has said in the article because he has heard the comments made by Buckley about him being lazy and he is starting to worry that Bucks will be our next coach. Well not worry as much but maybe put it out there so Bucks is aware Lids knows that he must improve??

Just a thought.

"Rucks: