Author Topic: Twist could send Zantuck into draft  (Read 6431 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Twist could send Zantuck into draft
« on: October 22, 2004, 03:38:16 AM »
Twist could send Zantuck into draft
22 October 2004   
Herald Sun
Mark Stevens

TY ZANTUCK has almost certainly played his last game at Richmond – even though he still has one year of a contract to run at Punt Rd.

In a twist to the Zantuck saga, the rugged defender could yet find a new home via the national or pre-season draft.

Although the Tigers would not comment on Zantuck's future yesterday, it is understood they are happy to move on without him.

It is believed the Kangaroos head the list of clubs still interested in the 22-year-old. Essendon could be another option to re-start his career.

Zantuck would have been at Windy Hill had the Tigers and Bombers not been 30 seconds late with the paperwork on the final day of trade week.

For any move to come off, both Zantuck and the Tigers must agree to part ways.

Zantuck's contract would be terminated and he would be delisted. He would then have the option of nominating for either or both drafts.

But Zantuck would not lose out financially.

It is understood Zantuck could soon receive an offer from a rival club to pay out the final year of his contract and pick him up in the draft.

In that case all parties will win: Zantuck will find a home where he is wanted and the Tigers will move their unwanted man on without having to pay out his contract.

It is not a breach of the rules provided Zantuck and Richmond come to an arrangement.

It would be a similar case to Sean Wellman walking away from football with a year to run on his contract at Essendon.

But under the rules, the Tigers cannot negotiate a deal with a rival club – that is the domain of trade week.

All negotiations must be confined to Zantuck, his management and his suitors.

Zantuck's manager Anthony McConville last night said any talk about the move remained hypothetical.

"This scenario could happen with any contracted player, to be honest. He's no different," McConville said.

But McConville hinted the ball was in the Tigers' court.

"He's contracted. That's where it stands at this point of time," McConville said.

"Outside of that, decisions will have to be made from Richmond.

"A club and player could come to an arrangement to leave the door open to be picked up in the national or pre-season draft – not that it has happened in the past."

Zantuck managed 14 games last year for a career total of 68. He lost his way as the Tigers claimed the wooden spoon, struggling with on-field discipline.

The Kangaroos were the first to show interest in Zantuck during trade week, but no deal could be struck.

Essendon came in late, but missed getting Zantuck – who was on holiday in New York as the drama unfolded.

When the deal fell through, Tigers football director Greg Miller made it clear Zantuck had wanted out.

"You've got a player who doesn't want to play for Richmond and wants to play at Essendon and he's with Richmond now," Miller said at the time.

"That's unfair for the player, I guess. Essendon should've moved a bit earlier. It was Ty who wanted to leave us."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,11148147%255E20322,00.html
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Twist could send Zantuck into draft
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2004, 03:45:08 AM »
Zantuck's contract would be terminated and he would be delisted. He would then have the option of nominating for either or both drafts.

But Zantuck would not lose out financially.

It is understood Zantuck could soon receive an offer from a rival club to pay out the final year of his contract and pick him up in the draft.

In that case all parties will win: Zantuck will find a home where he is wanted and the Tigers will move their unwanted man on without having to pay out his contract.

It is not a breach of the rules provided Zantuck and Richmond come to an arrangement.

That makes sense. His final year's salary would still count towards our salary cap although we won't be forking out for it but as we will be reducing our TPP to 97% we have plenty of room under the cap to fit this nominal amount in.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Miller to meet Zantuck today
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2004, 12:53:38 AM »
Zantuck decision set to hit draft
By Stephen Rielly
October 26, 2004

A firmer outline of the pre-season draft landscape is likely to emerge within the next six days, with Richmond meeting Ty Zantuck today and Patrick Bowden's intentions to be known by Monday, when the Western Bulldogs begin pre-season training.

Richmond's director of football Greg Miller is to meet with Zantuck and his management this afternoon to discuss ways in which the disgruntled defender can take the last year of his $250,000-a-season contract elsewhere.

Zantuck and the Tigers agreed to part last month but were left with one another when deals mooted with the Kangaroos and Essendon during the trade period foundered.

Zantuck was in New York at the time on a holiday and will speak with Miller for the first time since returning to Melbourne last week about an unusual eleventh hour exit from Punt Road.

Essentially, if a new club commits to drafting Zantuck in December, the Tigers can delist him and not carry the full weight of his contract.

"All I can say is that we are meeting to sort through the issues," Miller said yesterday.

The outcome of today's discussions are certain to have a large bearing on the pre-season draft, for, if Zantuck remains at Richmond, the Tigers are unlikely to have a great deal of money to spend on an uncontracted player.

If he departs, they may be able to raise their sights and consider a player such as Brisbane ruckman Clark Keating, who is yet to agree to terms with the Lions.

Zantuck's future will certainly affect that of Bowden, who has a two-year offer from the Bulldogs before him, a new deal that is understood to enable him to earn $350,000 over seasons 2005-06.

With interest from Richmond, where older brother Joel has been entrenched for nine years, he has to date declined to commit to the deal and the Bulldogs believe they will know of his plans if he is absent next week.

With the first pick in the pre-season draft, the Tigers can offer Bowden a certain path to Punt Road if he, and they, decide to come together.

Richmond spoke with Bowden in early September, as it did with Lindsay Gilbee when he indicated he was keen to leave Whitten Oval, but has made no firm pre-season offer for the 191-centimetre forward while the calibre of player available in that draft remains uncertain.

Keating and Ashley McGrath remain uncontracted, with Collingwood declaring its interest in the 21-year-old Brisbane defender.

http://realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2004/10/25/1098667692407.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Miller to meet Zantuck today
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2004, 02:50:27 AM »
Richmond's director of football Greg Miller is to meet with Zantuck and his management this afternoon to discuss ways in which the disgruntled defender can take the last year of his $250,000-a-season contract elsewhere.

I find it hard to see most other clubs picking Ty up for $250K a season  :P. We may end up still forking out say $50K next year even if he goes to another club.   

If he departs, they may be able to raise their sights and consider a player such as Brisbane ruckman Clark Keating, who is yet to agree to terms with the Lions.

While Keating has shown he steps up in the big games as a ruckman especially in the finals, he misses many games during the year through injury. With Stafford also near the end of his career and a young ruckman draftee starting his, we really need someone who'll play most of the next couple of seasons otherwise we could end up with too much workload left to Simmonds. 

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2004, 03:26:34 AM »

I find it hard to see most other clubs picking Ty up for $250K a season  :P. We may end up still forking out say $50K next year even if he goes to another club.   

While Keating has shown he steps up in the big games as a ruckman especially in the finals, he misses many games during the year through injury. With Stafford also near the end of his career and a young ruckman draftee starting his, we really need someone who'll play most of the next couple of seasons otherwise we could end up with too much workload left to Simmonds. 

This is the reason I would rather pick up McKee rather than Ackland. Ackland might be young but is VERY injury prone (look at his record) at least with McKee he will probably play every game and we need a ruckman that we know can do that.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2004, 03:31:29 AM »

This is the reason I would rather pick up McKee rather than Ackland. Ackland might be young but is VERY injury prone (look at his record) at least with McKee he will probably play every game and we need a ruckman that we know can do that.

I agree about Ackland RR. Reminds me of Paddy Steinfort's career. Add to that he appeared to struggle at SANFL level this year.

The worry with McKee from my point of view is that the new ruck rules ("Primus" rule) seem have nobbled him. Malthouse said so much earlier this year. McKee likes to step across into the path of the opposing ruckman's run up and jump. Problem is now you're not allowed to do that anymore.

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2004, 03:53:05 AM »
Yeah the "Primus rule" has stuffed him about quite a bit. Perhaps Stafford can take the centre bounces and McKee can follow the ball around the ground for throw ins and ball ups. McKee has improved quite a bit from when he was last with us in the around the ground stuff, he's got pretty good hands and can mark the ball and kick goals.

However the chances of us getting him are probably remote as in a few newspaper articles I've read he is being courted by the Saints and Carlton in the PSD. If we picked Bowden with our first pick then McKee would probably be gone by the time our second pick came about.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2004, 08:57:27 AM »

I find it hard to believe that Ty's on $250K a season.  :o :o

;D

It would be nice to be earning that sort of money. I could buy a couple of those $8000 President Club Coterie memberships - OK - 3 I'd buy 3  ;D

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2004, 11:05:14 AM »
However the chances of us getting him are probably remote as in a few newspaper articles I've read he is being courted by the Saints and Carlton in the PSD. If we picked Bowden with our first pick then McKee would probably be gone by the time our second pick came about.

KB had McKee on his SEN show this morning. KB asked McKee if any clubs had spoken to him as a few were in need ruckman compared to the Pies and McKee quickly replied that Richmond had shown a fit bit of interest.

I'd presume RR the plan is we'd be hoping to pick whichever ruckman we chase after in the National draft at pick 52 and keep pick 1 in the PSD for Pat Bowden. 

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2004, 09:46:22 PM »
The WA footygoss site is saying McKee is going home to play in the Ovens and Murray League with Myrtleford, the club he was recruited from. Don't recall McKee saying that this morning. He seemed quite keen to be picked up in the draft.

Offline Tigertailz

• Premiership Captain
  • "here we go again!"
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2004, 11:06:53 PM »
I fell off my chair WP when I saw that as well.

$250000 a year is beyond my comprehension.

I think i could ask for a quarter of that and play better than Ty.

Its things like this that have driven me close to the edge with our club.

From recent events it looks like there might be a bit of logic and common sense creeping into the clubs direction.

I guess time will tell.

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2004, 11:55:53 PM »

KB had McKee on his SEN show this morning. KB asked McKee if any clubs had spoken to him as a few were in need ruckman compared to the Pies and McKee quickly replied that Richmond had shown a fit bit of interest.

I'd presume RR the plan is we'd be hoping to pick whichever ruckman we chase after in the National draft at pick 52 and keep pick 1 in the PSD for Pat Bowden. 

That's probably the best Idea, if we really want him I suppose.

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2004, 11:57:35 PM »
The WA footygoss site is saying McKee is going home to play in the Ovens and Murray League with Myrtleford, the club he was recruited from. Don't recall McKee saying that this morning. He seemed quite keen to be picked up in the draft.

You'd expect that he would be keener to be picked up in the draft rather than park footy :o

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Tigers try for Zantuck trade
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2004, 01:21:10 AM »
Tigers try for Zantuck trade
By Stephen Rielly, Caroline Wilson
realfooty.theage.com.au
October 27, 2004

Disgruntled Richmond defender Ty Zantuck has been excused from the club's pre-season training until his future is determined.

Zantuck and his management met Richmond football director Greg Miller yesterday to discuss ways in which the two parties might find the amicable split that was unable to be negotiated during the recent trade period.

Zantuck asked to be traded, in part because of a fractious relationship with a number of senior players, and the Tigers agreed to find him a new home that, at various times, was mooted to be Melbourne, the Kangaroos or Essendon. Ultimately, though, club and player were left with one another and will be unless a club commits to draft him on a deal that will override his current agreement with Richmond.

Zantuck is contracted for 2005 on about $250,000 and the Richmond players of his experience are due to start their pre-season training tomorrow.

Zantuck's manager Anthony McConville said after yesterday's meeting with Miller that nothing had been agreed to and suggested that it would take a lot more time to reach that point.

It is believed that Essendon and the Kangaroos remain interested in Zantuck although the Dons and Tigers have not spoken since narrowly failing to swing a deal on him minutes before the trade deadline.

http://realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2004/10/26/1098667759152.html

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2004, 02:12:32 AM »
Could we get shafted in this type of deal?