Author Topic: Herald-Sun has Pattison, McMahon, Schulz and JON as our trade bait  (Read 7670 times)

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Herald-Sun has Pattison, McMahon, Schulz and JON as our trade bait
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2009, 03:11:25 PM »
RICHMOND

Adam Pattison, Jordan McMahon, Jay Schulz, Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls

How could any team resist those names! Get ready for the first rounders to roll in next week!

Yep you could wrap all four up as a package deal and still struggle to get a pick under 100

Ramps

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2009, 03:14:06 PM »
RICHMOND

How could any team resist those names! Get ready for the first rounders to roll in next week!

Yep you could wrap all four up as a package deal and still struggle to get a pick under 100

Pattison cost us pick 16
McMahon cost us pick 19
Schulz cost us pick 8 from memory and
JON also cost us pick 8.

And then we wonder why we are down the bottom.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2009, 07:35:33 PM »
RICHMOND

Given how valuable list spots are for all clubs, you'd probably have to offer our 2nd rounder to a club to take them all off our hands

Jackstar is back

« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2009, 07:56:09 PM »
RICHMOND

Pattison cost us pick 16
McMahon cost us pick 19
JON also cost us pick 8.

very very true

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2009, 09:19:18 PM »
 :(

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2009, 08:42:00 PM »
RICHMOND

Pattison cost us pick 16
McMahon cost us pick 19
JON also cost us pick 8.

What makes this worse is we usually have so few draft picks year after year that every poor choice or decision is magnified. If we had 6 picks each year and a couple of them bombed then we would've still found 3 or 4 kids each year to rebuild our list.  When we only have a couple of picks to begin with and they bomb then the whole draft ends up being a failure. So it's not just poor recruiting in the November draft but it's not having a clue about proper list management to begin with despite experiencing 23 drafts and witnessing how other clubs do it. We never learnt from our mistakes and just kept repeating them groundhog day style :help.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2009, 01:00:57 PM »
RICHMOND

Pattison cost us pick 16
McMahon cost us pick 19
JON also cost us pick 8.

What makes this worse is we usually have so few draft picks year after year that every poor choice or decision is magnified. If we had 6 picks each year and a couple of them bombed then we would've still found 3 or 4 kids each year to rebuild our list.  When we only have a couple of picks to begin with and they bomb then the whole draft ends up being a failure. So it's not just poor recruiting in the November draft but it's not having a clue about proper list management to begin with despite experiencing 23 drafts and witnessing how other clubs do it. We never learnt from our mistakes and just kept repeating them groundhog day style :help.

Ages ago Dennis Pagan said that footy wasn't a character building exercise it was a weeding exercise between those that did have it and those that didn't. 

I read that Geelong only had a 50% strike rate with its picks over the 1999-2001 era on the tiger-talk yahoo group.

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/tiger-talk/message/92436

But it kept a lot of picks and chose lots of new kids especially with 2nd and 3rd round draft picks.

1999 - 8 picks - 4 hits - Corey, Chapman, Ling, Enright.
So far only Corey was selected as their first selection and Chapman was their 5th selection in that draft. Ling their 6th and Enright their 7th.

2000 - 3 draft picks - 1 hit - Josh Hunt (tho Rook was a rookie)

2001 - 8 draft picks - 4 hits - Bartel, Kelly, Johnson and Ablett (F/S)

So the lesson is trade more daft picks and pick many kids and see which ones have the character and ability to make it.  Saying that Pagan was a hopeless development coach at Carlton.

the claw

« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2009, 11:30:13 PM »
hmm a little misleading to infer chapman was their 5rh selection that implies he went in the 5th rnd.
corey went at 8 chapman at 31 ling at 38 enright at 47. they traded for mooney that yr as well when leigh colberet decided to leave. i think they got mooney pick 15 17 and pick 47 and gave up colbert pick 53 and pick 67.interestingly they got picks 15 and 17 wrong.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2009, 09:01:58 AM »
hmm a little misleading to infer chapman was their 5rh selection that implies he went in the 5th rnd.
corey went at 8 chapman at 31 ling at 38 enright at 47. they traded for mooney that yr as well when leigh colberet decided to leave. i think they got mooney pick 15 17 and pick 47 and gave up colbert pick 53 and pick 67.interestingly they got picks 15 and 17 wrong.

That wasn't the point of the article.  The point was that Geelong succeeded with a policy of having a lot of picks and increasing the chances of getting some right.  Add to that some good research by their football department and some plain old luck (above average run of father/sons) and the rest is history.  And that is what the original poster on tiger-talk is suggesting we do - cast our net wide and law of averages says we will get some good players.

the claw

« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2009, 10:37:17 PM »

That wasn't the point of the article.  The point was that Geelong succeeded with a policy of having a lot of picks and increasing the chances of getting some right.  Add to that some good research by their football department and some plain old luck (above average run of father/sons) and the rest is history.  And that is what the original poster on tiger-talk is suggesting we do - cast our net wide and law of averages says we will get some good players.
i understood the point quite well thank you. it was made to sound like geelong used heaps of late picks that yr when the reality was the bulk of them was 3rd rnd or better. in fact have a look at their premiership side i think 17 were taken 3rd rnd or better. then there was the trades mooney harley and ottens and rookies byrnes and rooke to round out the 22.
while i agree we need to use many picks i think when comparing to geelong we need to not distort exactly what picks were taken. geelong are proof that top 50 picks or picks in the first 3 rounds are paramount.we need to ofload as many players as possible for picks in this area if we are to duplicate what geelong are about.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2009, 10:55:39 PM »

i understood the point quite well thank you. it was made to sound like geelong used heaps of late picks that yr when the reality was the bulk of them was 3rd rnd or better.

Please point out where this was stated or inferred.

"But it kept a lot of picks and chose lots of new kids especially with 2nd and 3rd round draft picks."  Doesn't state or infer "heaps of late picks" to me.

in fact have a look at their premiership side i think 17 were taken 3rd rnd or better. then there was the trades mooney harley and ottens and rookies byrnes and rooke to round out the 22.

The post was about how Geelong rounded out their premiership winning list with a large number of picks - nothing to do with where all their list was picked up at/from.  It only mentioned 9 successful picks from 19 over 3 years.  Their premiership team was built over many more years than that so to put all those successful picks up as your argument against the original point is not fair or relevant.

while i agree we need to use many picks i think when comparing to geelong we need to not distort exactly what picks were taken. geelong are proof that top 50 picks or picks in the first 3 rounds are paramount.we need to ofload as many players as possible for picks in this area if we are to duplicate what geelong are about.

Agree wholeheartedly but part of that duplication is to accept that quantity is just as important as quality.  We have had a significantly larger number of top picks over recent years then most but without large numbers of picks in total and less application of 'nouse' we have only had very average successes.  Just the point of the original poster.

the claw

« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2009, 11:43:34 PM »

i understood the point quite well thank you. it was made to sound like geelong used heaps of late picks that yr when the reality was the bulk of them was 3rd rnd or better.

"But it kept a lot of picks and chose lots of new kids especially with 2nd and 3rd round draft picks."  Doesn't state or infer "heaps of late picks" to me.

in fact have a look at their premiership side i think 17 were taken 3rd rnd or better. then there was the trades mooney harley and ottens and rookies byrnes and rooke to round out the 22.

The post was about how Geelong rounded out their premiership winning list with a large number of picks - nothing to do with where all their list was picked up at/from.  It only mentioned 9 successful picks from 19 over 3 years.  Their premiership team was built over many more years than that so to put all those successful picks up as your argument against the original point is not fair or relevant.

Agree wholeheartedly but part of that duplication is to accept that quantity is just as important as quality.  We have had a significantly larger number of top picks over recent years then most but without large numbers of picks in total and less application of 'nouse' we have only had very average successes.  Just the point of the original poster.
quite clearly to state chapman was their 5th pick it can be implied he was a 5th rounder ditto with the ling and enright statement.

the majority of the geelong list was built in 99 and 01 there was no rounding out about it at all. whilst i agree with useing as many picks as possible and have for a long time it is important to learn where most of the decent players come from and in what quantity.the comparisons where players are taken as a whole is very relevant. its relevant because it shows us how to go about it.
unfortunately for us we have so many glass half full types that at the moment we are better of taking a punt on a kid with a late pick rather than keep the mediocre performer it cant get any worse.

as for quantity ive often stated if you need a couple of kpfs for instance but with your 1st and 2nd rounder the mids are to good to knock back take a tall next but load up late take a couple in the rookie ldraft take one late in other words target the area take 3 or 4 in the hope of finding one decent one.yep theres nothing wrong with lots of picks if done right.

at the end of 07 i knew cotchin was coming to us he was in the top 2 players easily. i had pears and collier two kpds pencilled in at 18 19. of course rance slipped and we took him if we had 19 i would have taken pears targeting one area and then not having to worry about it the following draft.

one of the biggest crimes if you like is wallace and millers stupidity in useing just 3 nd pick in 3 out of 5 drafts. the annoying thing you always cop na its alright its a shallow draft.

finally one reason im all for many nd picks is the number that i think has to go. i make no bones about saying as many as 28 over 3yrs has to go. i would rather replinish the list with as many  picks as possible  in the first three rounds the geelong example is there for all to see.

anyway i think we agree on most things spoken about what we disagree on is the inference of the post in question which i hope i have cleared up at the start of this post.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2009, 09:23:08 AM »

the majority of the geelong list was built in 99 and 01 there was no rounding out about it at all. whilst i agree with useing as many picks as possible and have for a long time it is important to learn where most of the decent players come from and in what quantity.the comparisons where players are taken as a whole is very relevant. its relevant because it shows us how to go about it.

anyway i think we agree on most things spoken about what we disagree on is the inference of the post in question which i hope i have cleared up at the start of this post.

Yes we do agree on most of these things but ............ "cleared up"?  What the?

the claw

« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2009, 11:37:31 PM »

Yes we do agree on most of these things but ............ "cleared up"?  What the?
sheesh
this is the original quote

1999 - 8 picks - 4 hits - Corey, Chapman, Ling, Enright.
So far only Corey was selected as their first selection and Chapman was their 5th selection in that draft. Ling their 6th and Enright their 7th.

this is my reply
clearly to say chapman was a 5th selection  inferrs he was a 5th round pick a late pick when in fact he went 31 a second round pick. ditto with ling and entright the inference was they were 6th and 7th  selections or 6th and 7th rnd picks.

you may not see it but i do so we will have to agree to disagree.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2009, 09:26:01 AM »

you may not see it but i do so we will have to agree to disagree.

And that's about as good as it's going to get I think.   :thumbsup