Author Topic: New Culture & Youth plan  (Read 1838 times)

Tigermonk

New Culture & Youth plan
« on: August 12, 2009, 06:08:25 PM »
Well if Richmond are going the youth policy + changing culture, then its time they pulled the plug on Richo.
His given the club no benefits this year & with a serious injury + at 35 years old next March his a liability to have at the club next year.
His given us very good service but until he is retired the culture at Tigerland will not change & whats a fit decision for Joel Bowden surely must go for others or it bias.

Richo should consider like Joel whats the best option for the football club, Not be selfish going on & possibly re-injuring himself during the year & have a long stint on the sidelines.

The club can no longer keep these types of players who continue to breakdown.  Richo has been hit with injuries consistantly over the years.
Rawlings should have no say in his brother-in-laws playing future because it would clearly be a bias decision.

Dont any of you take this any other way by what l'm saying here. We all love the big fella but l see no position for him in the side & his kicking for goal playing at FF is the most unreliable at most times & we need someone who has a straight kicking style.

its peeed me off over the years how this elite footballer Richo, has kicked some of the most unreal goals yet struggles with his crowd anxiety having close set shots.
l really think the club & Richo should make the best decision & if thats to play on next year then he will get our support.

Lets hear everyones opinion & what position can he play would it be a off the bench role & could it work
We do need experience still at the club to help teach the youngsters & this would be the only reason l can see keeping him as others look up to the big man
No-one can denie Richo workrate to give 100% over the years but we are seeing less of him on the ground. This worries me for next season

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: New Culture & Youth plan
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 07:14:35 PM »
You're just bitter your bum chum got pushed out the door

Jackstar is back

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 07:31:31 PM »

Terrible response although that doesnt surprise me.
Monk, interesting times ahead for Richo

Tigermonk

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 09:03:33 AM »

Terrible response although that doesnt surprise me.
Monk, interesting times ahead for Richo

people saying l'm bitter about Bowden like Imfamy is imature.  :banghead
Its more the loyalty part of it to past long serving players that has me agitated. l have seen it so many times its disgraceful & leaves a bad feeling inside me.

l only brought this up Jackstar  :thumbsup  because l fear we are going into another situation with holding onto injured players & to change the culture as they say they are doing.
Well Richo is part of that old culture & l dont see him being part of the club next season. With his type of injury like Buckleys who was forever troubled & forced to retire.
Where & what role will Richo give us benefit next season.  Could hurt other clubs playing him off the bench or is it best to retire him.

Its no good retiring players after a few games into the season like was done with Gasper, Bowden, Knights, Rogers, Kellaways, if they cant complete the season or have doubts then retire them before they get below the standard so to keep the club always strong & standard high
This is where RFC have fallen down badly by keeping players on over many years & got no onfield value from them.

A football team playing at the highest level shouldnot have any weak links & your whole list should be up that standard.
Like Tim Watson running on the ground at 15 years old & establised himself without any problems. it was common to have young kids in senior sides. Todays kids are men with men bodies,  They donot need baby sitting when they come to the club as they have all played senior football. TAC you can say is senior football, there young men

My son is being blooded as a CHF/CHB running player who covers the whole ground when playing.
When he stands next to some Richmond players which they know how old he is, He is close to the same size as them & his 14y-6mth. & more muscle than McMuffin  ;D 
Most of the older tigers have known him since he was a baby. Richo nearly dropped him out of his arms & caught him before he splattered at a Milo Top10 Grand Final breakfast  :lol so long ago

Anyway at his height & build at present he could clearly play seniors at his age, so what l'm saying when these TAC kids come into AFL they are professional trained men with the same training a AFL player do.
They are coached to play AFL as the ultimate goal. They dont need babysitting  like at Richmond. They can be chucked straight into the action.

Why does RFC always take along time to blood draftees. ???

Back to Richo we do love the big fella & this is not bias because Bowden is going its clearly decussing about our club we all support.

So Richo if fit & plays at least 17 games,  l would say thats a successful year for the big fella. He wont play every game being realistic about this because of his size & age.
This bloke should be carried out the door when he retires because you wont see another player like him for a very long time. His a freak athlete.
If he does play that 17 games & produces at least 60 goals or more from FF then l would say l got it wrong. If its a off the bench role than 35-40 goals would be a fair target.

Now Ol Smokey & myself had a decussion going about Mark Coughlan & l have not asked him lately his view on where Cogs is at  :thumbsup or his future so Smokey the ball is in your court. Lets us know. My opinion is Cogs, Pettifer & JON for Sandilands clean swap :rollin

This thread is not just about Richo. its about changing the culture & playing the kids.

l beleive we need a coach like Gary Ayres type to get the younger players up to a AFL standard. Anyone who gets a small body player in Nahas up to league level & plays like its his last game, great tackles, kicking goals, & acheiving the required tasks set,  Then thats the type of coach l want for the young players.

Port Melbourne has always been hard to beat under Gary Ayres & he has coached Geelong & Adelaide in AFL Grand Finals however losing. Just my opinion about getting the younger players started in another rebuild thats taking 3 decades well not really lets base it from 2001 finals series.
Port melbourne beat us with some of our top 22 playing at Coburg which shocks me at time.

Sometimes Coburg has a list of Richmond players that you swear is unbeatable yet they cannot get close to teams like a under-manned Casey Scorpions twice this year.
That itself is sounding a major problem at the club.

So the first thing l would do is clean out the players who have been consistantly injured like Coughlan, Pettifer, Richo, Simmonds, Brown & Bowden, Johnson have retired so thats 7 changes made already.

Then under a new coach give him the whole remaining list & go back to basic skills & develope them all over the summer & donot play them any lower than Coburg seniors.
At Coburg when we play games that require a limit of listed players then rest all injured players & play the list completely through & this will help development.

Forget about Coburg reserves as the level is too low l believe for listed players to be playing in
This is just my opinion where l think the club has gone wrong in one area, the others being medical staff shocking decisions & player development with body strengthening.

not everyone will agree & l dont expect that.  l just want to see what some peoples views are. How they would go about fixing the club & not slag each other off cause its getting boring.

Fire Away  :thumbsup

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 09:14:38 AM »
So Richo if fit & plays at least 17 games,  l would say thats a successful year for the big fella. He wont play every game being realistic about this because of his size & age.
This bloke should be carried out the door when he retires because you wont see another player like him for a very long time. His a freak athlete.
If he does play that 17 games & produces at least 60 goals or more from FF then l would say l got it wrong. If its a off the bench role than 35-40 goals would be a fair target.

You have said it right here TM, the guy is a freak.  A freak who can win games off his own boot if he is firing, and over his career he has fired off quiet a few times.

I don't put him in the category of other older players because a bit like Cuz I consider him a unique footballer.  For that reason I think he should play next year.

Why does RFC always take along time to blood draftees. ???

This thread is not just about Richo. its about changing the culture & playing the kids.

I agree we would appear to take to long to blood our draftees and one of the main reasons I believe for this is older encumbant players dominating a poorly performing side.  I think the scare factor involved with removing a few encumbant players and blooding draftees that will not perform right away has been too much for some coaches.  Our supporters, the media, coterie groups tend to go a bit feral after a couple of bad games believe it or not.

Anyway one positive I seen this year was the blooding of Vickery and Post, at least these guys got blooded early.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 09:35:44 AM »
Is Imfamy meant to be an insult? Its not even a word
You've used it repeatedly but it doesn't even make sense

Tigermonk

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 09:40:48 AM »
Is Imfamy meant to be an insult? Its not even a word
You've used it repeatedly but it doesn't even make sense

no its not a insult
l explained myself clearly when you said l was bitter about Bowden

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 09:43:46 AM »
Then why use it? Do you have a speach impediment?
You certainly seemed to want to draw attention to it

As for your explanation, I didn't bother reading past the first 3 lines, too much dribble

Tigermonk

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 09:49:37 AM »

Anyway one positive I seen this year was the blooding of Vickery and Post, at least these guys got blooded early.

Vickery should have been included in the side when Richo injured himself the week before the Sydney game
He would have been a huge bonus & given plenty that day a game we should have won.
With Richo being selfish & the medical staff making a very bad decision that cost Richo & the club the rest of the season was no benefit.
Losing a tall player like Richo early in the game hurt us & thats exactly what l'm trying to point out.
Richo was selfish that day going in at under 50% fit & its these players making these decisions which is holding up the progress,  We could have seen Vickery sooner.
His cemented his place & will be a huge difference next season with more bulk, Will be exciting to watch  :thumbsup

Tigermonk

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 09:50:41 AM »
Then why use it? Do you have a speach impediment?
You certainly seemed to want to draw attention to it

As for your explanation, I didn't bother reading past the first 3 lines, too much dribble

then effoff efftard
not my fault you cant read past the first line  :rollin

Ramps

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2009, 09:56:22 AM »
AFL clubs should be finishing schools not development schools for the recruits coming from TAC Cup WAFL and SANFL. Thats why other clubs get success and we havent. That means 1 of 2 things are happening.

1) We recruit badly - skills, ability, awareness, speed, physical size, psychology and attitude of players- have we done this properly with every single player whose been drafted
2) Our finishing school as an AFL has sucked- that means our development hasnt been good, our senior coaches havent done this properly, and our assistants havent done a good job.

Dont know if people agree- id be interested in peoples thoughts

Offline 2JD

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 10:04:37 AM »
Well if Richmond are going the youth policy + changing culture, then its time they pulled the plug on Richo.
His given the club no benefits this year & with a serious injury + at 35 years old next March his a liability to have at the club next year.
His given us very good service but until he is retired the culture at Tigerland will not change & whats a fit decision for Joel Bowden surely must go for others or it bias.

Richo should consider like Joel whats the best option for the football club, Not be selfish going on & possibly re-injuring himself during the year & have a long stint on the sidelines.

The club can no longer keep these types of players who continue to breakdown.  Richo has been hit with injuries consistantly over the years.
Rawlings should have no say in his brother-in-laws playing future because it would clearly be a bias decision.

Dont any of you take this any other way by what l'm saying here. We all love the big fella but l see no position for him in the side & his kicking for goal playing at FF is the most unreliable at most times & we need someone who has a straight kicking style.

its peeed me off over the years how this elite footballer Richo, has kicked some of the most unreal goals yet struggles with his crowd anxiety having close set shots.
l really think the club & Richo should make the best decision & if thats to play on next year then he will get our support.

Lets hear everyones opinion & what position can he play would it be a off the bench role & could it work
We do need experience still at the club to help teach the youngsters & this would be the only reason l can see keeping him as others look up to the big man
No-one can denie Richo workrate to give 100% over the years
but we are seeing less of him on the ground. This worries me for next season

IMHO these reasons should be enough to keep him there, he is an enigma and i dont think his bad points outweigh his good. He doesnt cost much, could play off the bench and doesnt take up much space. More importantly, he knows he's not bigger than the game or the club and will do the right thing when the time comes :bow

Tigermonk

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2009, 10:09:49 AM »
AFL clubs should be finishing schools not development schools for the recruits coming from TAC Cup WAFL and SANFL. Thats why other clubs get success and we havent. That means 1 of 2 things are happening.

1) We recruit badly - skills, ability, awareness, speed, physical size, psychology and attitude of players- have we done this properly with every single player whose been drafted
2) Our finishing school as an AFL has sucked- that means our development hasnt been good, our senior coaches havent done this properly, and our assistants havent done a good job.

Dont know if people agree- id be interested in peoples thoughts

thats a top post Ramps. Yes why the need to develope them when they already know how to play football, They all get pushed to sickness as thats the way they know who will make it. They go to training camps, AIS training camp, They go to seminars & lectured by the likes of Alves, Barrassi, & many other high profile people & even get lectured by Police at seminars  ;D.

They are on specials diets & monitored by TAC with everything its like breeding a race horse & instead of sending it to Flemington it goes to the MCG  :rollin
They do the AFL training camp & trials before being drafted so clubs know what they are purchasing when it comes draft day.

Ryan Allen playing for Coburg seniors. He played FF for Morwell Tigers the last few seasons & is a strong marking goalkicker with a good straight kick.
Hughes on our Richmond list was playing Coburg reserves like some other players on our list yet l know for a fact we will never draft Ryan Allen.

Offline Ekto

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2009, 10:58:23 AM »
"Anyway at his height & build at present he could clearly play seniors at his age, so what l'm saying when these TAC kids come into AFL they are professional trained men with the same training a AFL player do.
They are coached to play AFL as the ultimate goal. They dont need babysitting  like at Richmond. They can be chucked straight into the action."

Come on 'Monk, lots of parents have over-inflated ideas of how good their sons are when they are 14 years old.

Just let the kid play and ENJOY his footy and he will develop into the best footballer he can be.

TAC Cup recruiters will evaluate him if he shows that he can develop beyond local footy.

I am sure that most parents that have kids playing at AFL level thought that their kid could be chucked straight in.....until they saw the kid chucked straight in and spat straight out. After a few games at AFL level they come to terms with the pace, the size of the opposition, the skill required and so on. After a few years they become quality players.

When they come back from a stint in the ressies, they all comment about how fast and tough the game at AFL level is.

Tigermonk

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2009, 11:51:11 AM »
"Anyway at his height & build at present he could clearly play seniors at his age, so what l'm saying when these TAC kids come into AFL they are professional trained men with the same training a AFL player do.
They are coached to play AFL as the ultimate goal. They dont need babysitting  like at Richmond. They can be chucked straight into the action."

Come on 'Monk, lots of parents have over-inflated ideas of how good their sons are when they are 14 years old.

Just let the kid play and ENJOY his footy and he will develop into the best footballer he can be.

TAC Cup recruiters will evaluate him if he shows that he can develop beyond local footy.

I am sure that most parents that have kids playing at AFL level thought that their kid could be chucked straight in.....until they saw the kid chucked straight in and spat straight out. After a few games at AFL level they come to terms with the pace, the size of the opposition, the skill required and so on. After a few years they become quality players.

When they come back from a stint in the ressies, they all comment about how fast and tough the game at AFL level is.

Dont worry Ekto l let my son controls his own football & where he wants to play
l gladly sit back and watch. His coach has done very well with him the last 2 season & l couldnot ask for anything more.  :thumbsup

all first gamers get a shock how hard & fast AFL football is but Richmond donot blood thier players soon enough & they start to get comfy where they are at.
Blooding them early gives them a chance to find out what is required & the level to adjust thier workrate
This also gives the club a look to see if they can cope with it & if not push them back

We all seen far too many players drafted to Richmond & leave after several years
some dont even get a game. They lose interest & dont even try out at another club because they see injured players like Richo, Brown, Moore, Foley taking thier places.
These injured players breakdown before the game but still go out till forced to the pine & that creates a bad feeling among players who thought they would get a go